Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • We've had the "grown up" chat about cars…
  • CountZero

How about one of these:

Although the economy might take a bit of a hit if you drive it like it deserves… 😉
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/zafira-vxr

Bimbler
    Free Member

Been pretty happy with our Renault Grand Scenic Mk 3. Slow off the mark, only 105 how in a 1.5 ton car, but will (and has) cruised at 80+ mph all day, hasn’t missed a beat. I believe newer models have 130 ish hp, perfect family load lugger, will lose value quickly presumably, but we plan to drive ours into the ground. Low 40s in town, low 50s on the motorway. Based on Renault Megane so should (fingers crossed) be cheapish to fix. Comfortable.

spooky_b329

If you only really need the six seats, you could consider dropping down a size to a Fiat Multipla (if it holds together for 100,000 extra miles!)

Or for more street cred, a Honda FRV.

yossarian
    Free Member

Don’t bother with a Touran – brilliantly pratcical, good mpg, shockingly poor reliability/durability and awesome cost of parts to fix when it needs it, more often than not…

On the other hand we had a touran for 6 years as our only car. Commuted daily by my missus which included some long distance work stuff quite a few times and used every weekend for everything else.

I don’t do maintenance other than paying at the car wash, filling up the windscreen wash and topping up the oil.

Not a single issue ever. Not one. Totally and utterly faultless.

Bregante

“Or for more street cred, a Honda FRV.”

Hugely underestimated car the FRV, getting a bit long in the tooth now as they haven’t made them for 4 years now. Mine is 9 yrs old in January and has been faultless In that time (owned since 6mths old). Seats 6 easily (front middle best suited to kids though)

CountZero

How about a Vito? Bloke I know had one, used it for daily commute from Cheltenham to Reading and back every day, family stuff, and bike hauler. Sliding side door, loads of space in the back for four bikes, and riding gear, and the riders, in lots of comfort. He actually wore out two motors, while the car/van/bus* carried on regardless. Last I heard he was getting on for 250,000 miles on it.
    Bought it from a bloke in a car park!
    *delete which applicable.

trevron73
    Free Member

S- max are awesome but upgrade the tires, as i had a blow out going to Seville at 120 mph and it got bent in the barrier (the tyre speed rating was 104mph but with a 300k payload it still did over 120 mph it was scary stuff. Rubens Barrichello told me later that night “now you know how we feel “it was scary stuff great car though plenty of poke ?

user-removed
    Free Member

Pretty much any Volvo estate. They get pricey as they get older but the usual issues like suspension bushes, rod arms and clutch burn-outs won’t hit you until at least 150,000 miles.

Yes, I drive a Volvo. 50 fekkin’ eight miles per fekkin’ gallon average. But it’s not an estate…

user-removed
    Free Member

And you’d need to stuff a few in the boot, obviously…

They won’t mind, I promise.

andypaul99
    Free Member

Touran TDI,s are a safe bet and the more economical of the MPV crowd, would definitely check out the Qashqai too, very reliable and nice to drive – only let down by a cheapish interior, but still a good car

Harry_the_Spider

Just bought this.

Dead chuffed.

will
    Free Member

Make sure you get an Addison Lee sticker for the back then you can drive like an idiot and nobody will be surprised.

Good choice though.

Harry_the_Spider

Glad it has got parking sensors as I’m terrified of putting it into out gate post!

Harry_the_Spider

out = our.

Meh.

mrmo
    Free Member

when you say occasionally need more than 4 seats, how occasional? Just thinking it might make more sense to buy a cheap 4 door and when you need the extra hire one?

JCL
    Free Member

If you have no luck at Caterham try and get your hands on a halftrack.

Harry_the_Spider

when you say occasionally need more than 4 seats, how occasional?

Once a week.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Very nice. And loyal to your ancestors with a Cymru plate. Perfik.

Harry_the_Spider

Shit, is it Welsh?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Yes. Does it have ginger upholstery?

mrmo
    Free Member

when you say occasionally need more than 4 seats, how occasional?
    Once a week.

I wouldn’t really say once a week is occasional TBH. My idea of occasional is once every few months, but then my car use isn’t much more than occasional by your standard.

Harry_the_Spider

Once a week for the occasional short trip. Once a month for longer ones.

br
    Free Member

what did you spend in the end?

SaxonRider

benji – Member
    Another leftfield choice Chrysler GrandVoyager.

You certainly suggest some leftfield choices in your post! I know nothing about the SsongYang (except that I find them ugly and an unknown quantity), but in my experience, the Chrysler drives like a flipping sofa on wheels.

Harry_the_Spider

what did you spend in the end?

Ten grand less trade in and a bit of haggling. 😐

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘We've had the "grown up" chat about cars…’ is closed to new replies.