Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • We've had the "grown up" chat about cars…
  • Harry_the_Spider

Criteria

1) £9k budget
    2) 7 seats for occasional freighting of old people
    3) Comparable economy to The Mighty Vectra if possible (high 40s mpg)
    4) Has to last for an additional 8 years / 100,000 miles

2.0l S-Max is in the lead. Is there anything else that I should be looking at?

MrNutt
    Free Member

a Caterham?

Harry_the_Spider

Any grown ups about this morning? 😉

weeksy

S-max sounds ideal.

dawson

if you need 7 seats then Galaxy or VW Sharon(sp )?. doubt they’d that MPG tho

RichPenny
    Free Member

2.0l S-Max is in the lead. Is there anything else that I should be looking at?

Saga leaflets

Harry_the_Spider

Only need the 7 seats (well, 6 actually) occasionally. Mostly it will be 4.

boxelder

We’ve a sharan – great, but heavy so mpg less than 40.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Mitsubishi Grandis

dawson

S-max then, but think 40+mpg might be optimistic?

Harry_the_Spider

Published mpg for the 2.0 diesel is 47.

I’m currently achieving the published figure for the Vectra so my driving style and commute must be reasonably economical.

j5kol
    Free Member

Get a used X5, tell the mrs it does 80mpg (she’ll never know) and you’ll be the envy of all the other people carrier drivers out there that have succumbed to their wife’s demands. After all, does anybody really want a people carrier when they buy one ?

sprocker
    Free Member

Had a touran got over 40 from it and drove pretty well for what it is

banks
    Free Member

Transit! Bench seat up front – single seat in back. In-laws can hold on for dear life in the back.

maxray
    Free Member

You can probably get a bluemotion touran for that budget now which would get you a good mpg. Our 2.0tdi probably does mid to late 40s and is no slouch if you put your foot down.

chris36860
    Free Member

We brought a 2007 (57) Smax 2.0 D Titanium on the bay last week for £8500 it’s covered 56k with full history. Even came with a Thule bar system that the guy though in. It’s doing well over 40 mpg and although I’m missing my Audi A6 V6, it’s a very good car. Ample room inside although you need to be pretty small to use the pop up rear seats. For 130bhp is reasonably lively when you’re on your own.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Either SMax or Touran IMO.

Never owned either, but for all the research you’ve done these seem to be the best options.

😆

Straightliner

Buy what you want and hire something with 7 seats for the ‘occasional’ use?

dannybgoode

Second hand Imprezza WRX and a trailer for when you need to take the extra bodies?

epicyclo

I made much the same sort of sensible list last year when I went to Oz for several months.

Needed van like space etc etc, had big mileage to cover.

Went through all the ads and eBay, made a shortlist. The top choices ended up a Corvette, Monaro, and a Falcon Ute with a stonking V8.

Looked at all the options and did the sensible thing and bought a motorbike.

10,000 miles later I was still happy with my choice.

Moral of the story, logic doesn’t really come into it…

maccruiskeen

Buy what you want and hire something with 7 seats for the ‘occasional’ use?

That’s what I do. An Astra van is suitable for 90% of the miles I do. When the extended family elders need to travel (they’re in their 80s and not in great health- I take them from scotland to London twice a year) I hire. Then there’s no need to compromise and they travel in a v6 merc v-class.

It’s dependent on you having a good, well stocked hire co locally though.

benji
    Free Member

SSangYong Rodius, 7 seats, reasonably cheap, engine from Mercedes, the guys who do the airport taxi runs seem to like them. Plenty of space, and a usable 7 seats. Another leftfield choice Chrysler GrandVoyager.

matt_outandabout

Don’t bother with a Touran – brilliantly pratcical, good mpg, shockingly poor reliability/durability and awesome cost of parts to fix when it needs it, more often than not… 😕

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve looked at the “hire a 7 seater when you need it option” – Enterprise were quoting me £800 for a weekend!

Not much room in the far back seats of an S-Max, might be less of an option if you need it to last while small people grow?

I’d look at Galaxy/Alhambra and take any hit on mpg. (Will be having the grown up chat about cars later this year…. 😥 )

Caterham + very very cheap trailer ! 😆

joolsburger
    Free Member

Kia Carens pretty unbeatable warranty and good write ups.

mrchrispy

had similar criteria myself a few months back.
    Has to be Touran or an S-Max really, in the end I though screw the grand parents and bought a skoda yeti 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

LWB defender with an LPG conversion?

rob1984p
    Free Member

Do they still do Volvo estates with the two kiddy seats in the boot?

chewkw
    Free Member

Mazda 5 or 5 Sport.

alfabus
    Free Member

T5 Caravelle… removable seats makes it a bike van when it isn’t full of sprogs 🙂

Dave

tomlevell

I’ve got an SMAX 2 litre diesel and get around 41-42mpg. Not bad considering the weight of them.
    I wouldn’t want to travel far as an adult in the rear 2 seats though. But I’d guess that’s the same as most 7 seaters.

sniff
    Free Member

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.0D 44mpg here with selectable 4×4 off. Emergency 2 back row seats store below the boot floor. Bikes in the back no problem and roof bars if you want them up top.

mav12
    Free Member

lookers were selling brand new old shape zafiras for 9.5k

damascus
    Free Member

Vw t5. If the caravelle is out of your budget buy a t5 and get someone to put windows in and buy some 2nd hand seats off eBay.

Brilliant van and as someone else has stated makes the best bike vehicle.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My 1.9 TD1 Sharan did between 40 and 42 mpg average for all of the 128,000 miles and 12 years I had it.

sheeps

Our Touran (2.0l, 140boy variant) does high 40’s mpg when being sensible, low 40’s when not being tutted at from the passenger seat. 6&7th seats needs small people with sshort legs… Definitely not for 6ft adults if you want to use your legs again
    Expensive to fix, but holds value well and telescope solidly built than the s-max

andysbikeclinic
    Free Member

If you can ignore the frankly awful economy (though it sounds like that may be a dealbreaker), how about this to hoon about in (the olds can hold on for dear life in the back…this thing’s so big, you won’t even be able to hear them scream).

bonkers

crispy
    Free Member

Something like this:

Mercedes e320 cdi Sport

This particular one is mine, but I’ve decided I’m not going to sell it, coz it’s just too damned good to get rid of for that money.

37mpg, 7.1 sec 0-60, 7 seats, lovely.

For something a little more economical (and cheaper to buy), the 220 cdi is a good bet, or the e280 for a detuned version of the 320.

Seats in the boot are definitely for kiddies only, but they love being in them!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘We've had the "grown up" chat about cars…’ is closed to new replies.