Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • WetShaving World…
  • paulmgreen
    Free Member

I’ve Taken in recent years to alternating between clean shaven and a few days growth……

So when I now shave I’ve kind of developed an enjoyment of the process…. It’s a great feeling to be freshly shaven using a brand new razor…. But they cost a fortune these days for 4-5 blade wonder razors ….

A discussion with a respected ‘old school’ gentlemen who swears by a traditional badger shaving brush and traditional single blade razor …… It’s all in the preparation he assures me!

so it’s got me thinking……. Single double edged blades are pretty cheap……. Wilkinson Sword £12 for 100 blades….. Cheap enough to use a fresh one almost every time?

Any of you fellas use traditional brush and double edged single blade ??

Recommendations ?? Observations ?

bigblackshed

There are numerous threads on here. Search for DE shaving or DE blades.

montylikesbeer

get mine from here shaving shack

this is mine 34c

lemonysam
    Free Member

I do it, it’s just shaving really. I have a Muhle R89 which is great and use mitchell’s wool fat soap because I get it cheap and like the smell. I think I’ve spent less than a tenner on blades for the last two years and I use them when baking as well.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Oh and my brush is the cheapest thing imaginable, given to me when I was about 16 as a reminder that bum fluff isn’t cool. Still going string though.

ericm
    Free Member

i got a cheap wilkingson sword one to try it out it out a few years ago,before spending 30 or so quid on a fancy one.
    still use it .nothing wrong with it!
    http://www.boots.ie/en/Wilkinson-Sword-Classic-Double-Edge-Razor_29697/

it is about preparation,and try not shave when your in a rush..

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Just started using a merkur 34c and it gives a great shave- much smoother than the typical disposables. Takes a little longer for the shave and then a little bit of cleaning of the razor but a more enjoyable experience. Looks economical in the long run. Want to try out various blades so got a 25 blade mix bag for £5 which will last me a fair while!

takisawa2

Aldi’s version of one of the big two’s multiblade system works for me. Refills are cheap, & I get at least a dozen shaves before it loses the as-new keen’ness. They do a face wash under the Simple brand that preps the aforementioned bum fluff nicely. By way of creme, I’m a big fan of the Body Shop one, in the small fat pot. It lasts ages (9 months or so for £7, & I shave every day). Just the tiniest drop on a std shaving brush & swirl to a lather on the cheek.

I’m of ginger stock too, so my facial hair is like twin & earth.

everyone
    Free Member

I’m currently using a shavette and plan on upgrading to a proper straight razor when I have the money.

Saying that I’ve decided to try a beard for winter so the razor isn’t seeing much use!

Travis

Has anyone changed to Electric and thought it was a good move?

Like the OP, I don’t like spending the extra money.
    I would go the real mans way, but I think getting hold of good quality blades here in China, would be very difficult.

jaymoid

Merkur 34c here.
    Recent convert because you can do the few days growth thing, then shave easily, and it doesn’t clogg the blades, like you get with the multibladed ones.

I would recommend experimenting with different blades. I’ve treid a few but find feathers the best/longest lasting.

Also they look cool.

Drac

Merkur here too but forget which model bought from Mankind as they always have offers on and promotions.

Blades I prefer Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge last lot were £9.90 for 100 I can get a few days shaves out each one so reckon at least 4 months worth.

Spend good money on the razor, brush, soap it makes a big difference you’ll still be in pocket from the money saved from the blades.

One thing though they there is very little safety protection so you will cut yourself a few times initially.

Hohum
    Free Member

Remember to buy an Alum block or styptic (sp.?) pencil for your shaving kit for the inevitable knicks when you first start to learn how to shave with a DE razor.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I’m currently using a shavette and plan on upgrading to a proper straight razor when I have the money.

Saying that I’ve decided to try a beard for winter so the razor isn’t seeing much use!

I have a shavette, and I have a beard. Still use the shavette most days though, it’s good for making your beard look sharp, trimming a nice neck and cheek line etc.

scud
    Free Member

Do any of you suffer really badly with ingrowing hairs (on the face!) and if so, do you find these “proper” razors better or worse, i’ve always suffered badly with them and usually shave last thing at night so that any cuts or redness has overnight to settle down.

Just wondered if using a non-safety razor would be better or worse when trying to shave over numerous bumps?

everyone
    Free Member

I have a shavette, and I have a beard. Still use the shavette most days though, it’s good for making your beard look sharp, trimming a nice neck and cheek line etc.

Yea that’s what I’m doing at the minute as well.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I have a shavette,

I got one a couple of weekends ago. Here’s some advice. Don’t buy a shavette, spend the afternoon in the pub then decide to try it out when you get home. Pretty good when you’re sober though.
    Also, tends to make a better job of several days growth than a DE setup, but it took a few efforts to get it right.

deviant
    Free Member

Treated myself to a hot towel/straight edge shave from a proper barber a few years ago and liked it so much i bought the kit myself to do at home.

It takes some getting used to and preparing the skin properly is the trick but the shave is something else, it is time consuming and i cant justify getting up any earlier just to indulge myself with a cut throat shave so i only do it on days off and some evenings.

I have a double edge razor for normal shaving, cartridge razors are decent enough but the blades are extortionate….i felt i was clearly being ripped off every time you buy cartridges/blades.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘WetShaving World…’ is closed to new replies.