Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Wet weather winter riding trousers
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Given the Autumn/winter is fast approaching I’m going to try riding in trousers this winter. The main purpose is to keep the mud off, basically so I can get to the front door after a ride, take the jackets and trousers off before parading through mud free in Lycra bibs and thermal top. I’ve been looking at the norrona ones having had good experience with their kit in the past but has anyone used anything else they’d recommend? I’m open on price and not set on an expensive set but would prefer to spend more money to get something that breathes relatively well rather than spending less for some sweat trousers. Endura have some with the MT500 but I’ve had several bits of their kit in the past, all of which has disappointed for one reason or another.

Other option is to just get some lighter weight DH style trousers and put up with a soggy butt given my rides are typically only 2-3 hours.

I do want a specific riding cut though so no army goretex.

Norrona Link

deadkenny
    Free Member

I get too hot these days for that amount of layers, even in full winter. Don’t know what it is about me. Age I think.

Trousers are heavy, especially when wet, and draggy in the wind. Tights would be better, but never going to do that. Shorts plus stash some tracky bottoms in the car if it’s that muddy don’t want to get the car/house filthy. Less bulk to wash also, or just let the shorts dry, dust/crud off and ride again 😀

dantsw13

Waterproof shorts over long bibs for me.

canopy
    Free Member

summer – padded shorts under baggies or mtb specific padded baggies

expecting mud – tights under baggies (no long bib yet, but it would help protect from butt crack ingress..)

fortunately i arrive homr through side door/utility room where my bike is kept, and the washing machine is.. so i disrobe down to undies there and head up to the shower. making me wonder if when it (possibly)gets rebuilt down the line a shower cubicle would be a good addition.

Gotama
    Free Member

So this is my issue, we’re centre of a three house terrace so I just want to be able to drop the outer layer at the front door, particularly after a night ride where I’ll just leave the trousers muddy and recycle them for a couple of rides, poss with a hose spray off in between. Cold legs etc isn’t the issue, I’m quite happy in baggies with knee pads all winter, the trousers are just for practicality purposes. Off with the trousers, socks wont be as caked in mud and pads will stay ‘clean’ as well. Pads under trousers will be fine as they’re just Fox enduro.

Other option are long socks, poss seal skinz, Danny Hart style which I guess would achieve the same thing bar the pads getting muddy as well.

avdave2

Other option are long socks, poss seal skinz

I use the long Sealskinz with 3/4 Altura attacks or semi-drys and that works well for a winter off road commute.I do use full thermal bibs when it gets colder though.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

OMM kamleika pants, stretchy waterproof

jimmy

When I wear my pads I find I stay fairly mud free and easy to come off so for the same effect wear longish socks and leg warmers which overlap and go up under your shorts. Easy off, easy washed.

Tracey

Army gortex camo overtrousers from ebay have work great for us since we started using the in 2007. Robust, waterproof, breathable ans cheap

paule
    Free Member

Aldi do waterproof riding trousers every now and then, pretty decent fit and have Velcro tabs on the calves to Taper them away from the chain and rings. About a tenner last time I bought some.

Gotama
    Free Member

OMM kamleika

Look interesting. Are they tough enough in the seat area to stand up to mtb use?

camo overtrousers

I appreciate the mtb look isn’t great but camo is a look if really rather avoid.

househusband

Keela do a couple of pairs of trousers designed for cycling, even their non-bikey Scuffers are brilliant for mountain biking and are incredibly robust.

dovebiker

I have OMM Kamleika pants (and jacket) very light and flexible fabric – wouldn’t really be suited for MTB use without a rear mudguard. You really need a tougher fabric like Gore Paclite

lunge

Tights of some kind is what I’d suggest. If you’re wearing bibs underneath even some thin running tights would do the job. They’ll cost very little from Decathlon or such like. You can always throw some (waterproof) shorts over the top of needed.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Can you not do the same as you want to do with trousers but with the tights you currently wear? What am I missing?

somafunk

Come the winter I practically live in my Showers pass skyline trousers, not exactly totally waterproof but they breathe really well so it’s a trade off that works for me

TomB

Just bought the Altura ones from merlin which are about half price at the moment. Not worn in the rain yet, seem fine for <£50.

Gotama
    Free Member

Can you not do the same as you want to do with trousers but with the tights you currently wear? What am I missing?

Bibtights will get muddy whilst riding and if I take those off in the outside porch area in front of the house it’ll be a nasty view for the neighbours! I only use bibshorts under baggies at the mo.

Daffy

I’d suggest that better mudguards are required…

benp1

I’d like some long trousers for taking the dog out on the bike but haven’t found any long enough (with the right cut). He gets taken out every night

For winter biking I wear long tights under baggies. Shorts and tights off at back door, into house in boxers. Often don’t wear padded shorts, if I do I can still wear tights and baggies over the top

I have full mudguards too

househusband

I’d like some long trousers for taking the dog out on the bike but haven’t found any long enough (with the right cut).

How tall are you, Ben?

theboyneeds
    Free Member

I’ve got some OMM Kamleika ones which i never wear because if i fall off they’ll be ruined! I usually wear Endura Singletrack trousers but they not waterproof so you’ll get soggy legs in a proper wet one. My mate swears by his Showers Pass trousers. They’re waterproof on the front and back but breathable on the side. Good fit too.

I tend to ride in all conditions.

Gotama
    Free Member

The showers pass skyline looks like a good option, ta.

Endura singletrack or equivalent might also work. Not fussed about soggy bum given my rides are relatively short and don’t have to worry about getting cold as I’m always only a few miles from the house given where I live and ride.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Come the winter I practically live in my Showers pass skyline trousers, not exactly totally waterproof but they breathe really well so it’s a trade off that works for me

These work for me too. Great trousers with waterproof ankles/calf,and front of thighs/crotch. They’re warm but not too warm. Mudguard still recommended though.

Always Riding stock them in the UK, amongst others.

somafunk

Sign up for the showers pass email and you’ll get a discount code, the uk store is really quick on sending stuff out and they’re nice folk to deal with

epicyclo

Been said before.

The first step is mudguards. Proper ones that do the job.

Then just about any cheap trouser will do the job because you’ve got rid of most of the spray, and much of the time waterproofs will be unnecessary. Your head bearings and BB will last longer too.

Top it all off with a proper riding cape, and you have rediscovered the reason that our grandparents were able to ride all year round without our modern technical fabrics. They weren’t tougher, just smarter. 🙂

Drac

Shorts. Your legs are waterproof or I’ve always used Endura waterproofs if I’ve given up.

Gotama
    Free Member

Are the showers pass trousers more of a tight fit or DH pant style fit?

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Tighter, but baggy enough for a set of knee pads under.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Wet weather winter riding trousers’ is closed to new replies.