Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Wet Weather Wear Recommendations
  • rentachimp
    Free Member

Living in Wales, wet weather gear is an essential part of the MTBer’s arsenal, yet one I have neglected. Having recently aquired an Altura Mayhem Jacket, I’m rather enjoying the sensation of being dry in the driving drizzle.

So, what pieces of the water resistant jigsaw am I missing? I had Altura’s Semi-dry shorts, but found the fit dreadful. I’m 5’9″ and normal build, just under 12 stone, with short welsh legs like a hobbit. I would go fully waterproof as long as they are breathable.

I have Teva Links daps, which seem to stay pretty dry, but can’t take a deluge.

Can I get some recommendations, then, for:
    Shorts;
    Socks;
    Gloves;
    and any other suggestions to help make soggy rides more bareable; maybe even enjoyable?

Thanks STW,

Rentachimp

warton
    Free Member

I’ve found the Neoprene Castelli gloves superb. Dry and Warm

z1ppy

I like the altura attack 3/4 (waterproof) shorts, not tried any other to compare against… though they do fit me. I have some old waterproof trousers, and just found I sweat so much, they weren’t worth using.
    Gloves, just spare ones to swap into on longer rides.

My own thought on breathable materials, are that they really don’t work well with an active sport, so pit-zips/vents are the way ahead.

dandax1990
    Free Member

What about waterproofing some shorts? Like the Endura Hummvee’s?

justatheory
    Free Member

Endura Spray MT500 shorts are waterproof at the back which is good for wet trails but because the front isn’t waterproof they aren’t much cop in a downpour.

Gore Path jacket has been great for me

Socks, seal skins will add a bit of extra waterproofing if your shoes are breached.

Northwind

I love my altura attacks (shorts not 3/4s), you get a bit of splash up the legs but they’re… well, they’re just shorts, only they keep you dry, nothing weird or troublesome and they’re not even that expensive.

Jackets… I’m quite a hot/sweaty rider so I can’t wear a jacket unless it’s literally freezing. But gillets are great- keep the body dry, let the arms be radiators.

Shoes… Flat shoes that work well in the wet are few and far between. Sombrio’s X-Shazam is the best I’ve used, but now discontinued. Sealskinz socks work well for me but I know not everyone finds the same.

Oh and keep your helmet clean! Rain in the eyes is annoying, but when the pads get soaked and the rain mixes with months of dried sweat…

binners

Sealskinz waterproof socks are one of the best inventions mankind has ever come up with. Their waterproof gloves are bloody good too.

Cold and wet feet are just demoralising when riding. I can cope with the rest of me being wet if my hands and feet are toasty

The best £25 you’ll ever spend.

rentachimp
    Free Member

Thanks guys: all good stuff. Been toying with the idea of 3/4s. I mainly wear 3/4s off the bike so makes sense to wear them on, too.

I have Dakine shorts which I love, not restrictive at all, but they can be a bit hot in summer, and the arse is starting to go. they are quite baggy baggies, but I suppose waterproof shorts are generally snug.

loddrik
    Free Member

Mtfu, being wet is fine as long as you aren’t cold, which you shouldn’t be in July. Dispense with the jacket and wear short shorts, you’ll dry off quicker.

Del

sealskins lasted me a year per pair, tops. gash. now use gore socks and they rock. good cuff on them too to stop water running in from your exposed legs.

rentachimp
    Free Member

loddrik: don’t tell me to Mtfu, that is sexist.
    I have a great respect for women, which is why I allow them to touch me.

johnellison
    Free Member

Can I get some recommendations, then, for:
    Shorts;
    Socks;
    Gloves;
    and any other suggestions to help make soggy rides more bareable; maybe even enjoyable?

Shorts – why? What’s the point of waterproof shorts? It’s like having a Ferrari estate. Utterly ridiculous.
    Socks – Sealskinz, mid light calf length. But again they’re only any good if you don’t get water down the top of them.
    Gloves – Sealskinz again.

Soggy rides are more bearable if you keep moving – the minute you stop you start getting cold. Personally I’d put emphasis on keeping warm in wet conditions, before keeping dry. Warm and wet can be unpleasant at worst. Cold and wet can be fatal.

z1ppy

What’s the point of waterproof shorts?

Really? If it’s passed you by, there’s no point in telling you.

Northwind

johnellison – Member

Shorts – why? What’s the point of waterproof shorts?

The waterproofness.

Del – Member

sealskins lasted me a year per pair, tops. gash. now use gore socks and they rock

I’ve got a pair of the Gore ones, they’re the worst bit of bike kit I’ve ever owned. I’m in favour of equal opportunities and giving disabled people work, but Gore shouldn’t have given the job of designing socks to someone with no feet.

darkslider
    Free Member

Anyone tried the Madison Tempest shorts yet? At less than £40 they seem like a good deal compared to all the more expensive stuff.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Just waterproof shorts for me, boil in the bag if wearing a jacket.

The point of waterproof shorts is to prevent you getting a wet, cold, chaffed, harris.

Oh- over shoes are better than seal skins – as long as you avoid the deepest puddles, even if they do make you look a bit special

starfanglednutter
    Free Member

Yeah, I hate getting wet as well, tried to mtfu and failed. As for shorts, I (like many people) bought some army surplus goretex trousers and cut them off at the knee. I also went one further and got the mrs to sew the cut-offs into pockets and stitch them into the velcro pocket flaps – so mine have waterproof pockets now as well! Total cost was £25 for the trousers off Ebay and about 20p worth of thread. Waterproof, breathable, plus I just hose off the crud at the end of the ride, thus saving the washing machine and my wife’s patience. Win win 🙂

For the crazily heavy rain days, I’ve worn army surplus trousers and goretex boots with gaiters. Looks a bit daft, but frankly, give a shizzle. I found waterproof socks just fill with sweat and nothing except gaiters will keep the water out of shoes on prolonged rides through deep puddles. I’m now very happy riding in the rain.:)

iainc

Mudguards do a great job and keep you dry from below

rentachimp
    Free Member

I like that army trousers idea. Love a craft project, too. Got any pics?

I heard gaiters were good. Can’t wear overshoes as I’m on flats, or so I’ve been told.

rentachimp
    Free Member

Have downtube and a neoguard on the forks on my hardtail and full suss, with a rear guard on my hardtail as it’s my commuter. Still get a wet beehive on the trail bike though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Wet Weather Wear Recommendations’ is closed to new replies.