Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wet weather routes in the Lakes
  • Pieface

Wanting to do Nan Bield route on saturday, but BBC weather suggests heavy rain. I guess Grizedale routes are good foor bad weatehr, but is there anything else worth considering (apart from MTFU)?

malchales
    Free Member

should av gone last week like i di. it was dry…………….. sorry.

Jenga
    Free Member

Funny that. I was going to Nan Bield on Saturday till I saw the forecast. I'm off to Settle instead!

malchales
    Free Member

good choice, i`m back now so its, slippy chalk, wind & rain for me on the sdw. at least its only 3 miles from my flat!!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

any low level Lakes route will be fine regardless of the weather. IMO the weather could never be good enough to justify Nan Bield :o) I think Lowey has it down for Sunday ?

lowey

Yep, group of us doing it on Sunday.

To be honest I cant see the problem. Its an all weather route as the surface is 90% rock and route finding it so straight forward anyone can do it.

Rain wind or mist, I'll be ontop of Nan Bield at some point on Sunday.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'll be ontop of Nan Bield at some point on Sunday.

wishing you'd stayed in bed…

anc
    Free Member

All the Stuff south and west'ish of Ambleside, Langdale, Hodge close way..etc is good when its raining. Rocky mainly so not much mud and quite sheltered. The Borrowdale Bash is also ok in the wet.

elliptic
    Free Member

What anc said, a "join the dots" ride from Ambleside connecting the various BW's over Loughrigg, Claife, Grizedale, Iron Keld, Tilberthwaite. Gives you (a) plenty of options for cafe/pub stops and (b) easy to extend or cut short depending how the weather turns out.

Sample GPS trace here but not hard to spot other options on the 1:25000 SE Lakes sheet.

lowey

wishing you'd stayed in bed…

It was hardly idea weather when I last did it but it didnt spoil an excellent day out.

snowpaul
    Free Member

good luck everyone – i am ill and fed up still

nan bield is not a fav of mine but each to their own – lowey i feel the same way about helvellyn!! i would give garburn or walna scar a pop if weather bad n great rides,,,

enjoy

hora
    Free Member

Ooooo, what mileage are you doing etc Lowey?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wet weather routes in the Lakes’ is closed to new replies.