Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wet weather race clothing – advice please!
  • mccraque

Racing the brass monkeys tomorrow and the likelihood is it’s gonna p!ss down. Half my cycling wardrobe is in the motor. Do I go for a full waterproof, and sweat my nuts off, a showerproof softshell or just my standard polyester jersey?

Just wondering which will leave me in least discomfort after 2 hours soaked!

DT78
    Free Member

Well goodluck, glad I chose not to enter based on the forecast, I’ll get a 3hrroad ride in early before the storm hits instead. Anyways. Personally I’d go for a soft shell that will keep me warm, a full waterproof will probably mean you boil in the bag and get soaked anyway.

frogstomp

With a bit of luck it looks like the rain won’t come through until after 1pm.. by which time we’ll be soaked and muddy anyway!

As it’s a proper race I will, of course, be going full lycra..

I’m just going for a windproof, water-resistant shell and waterproof shorts – anything more and I’d be cooking!

singlecrack
    Free Member

I’d just go for for normal race gear ..longs if you have them …and a pertex top

mccraque

Cheers- am thinking softshell… Maybe See you there frogstomp

Shaun20
    Free Member

I’d go for normal race kit with a base layer and leg warmers……your not gonna notice much when your racing anyways.

dobo
    Free Member

if you are racing and you wear a waterproof you will get wet anyway.
    I think what i would do is just wear normal race jersey and a windproof gilet just to keep the chill off. you will get wet but should stay warm whilst moving, ad a merino or helly hansen base layer top if its really cold, which i dont think it will be.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

First round of the autumn series It was hoying it down but I was sweating in just a base layer and short sleave top. I’m going to put a soft shell in the pit area just in case but don’t expect to need it.

adsh
    Free Member

Due to be very cold first thing but getting to 6c later. Maybe rain for last hour. I will try to start cold but not freezing…..

frogstomp

Good race.. the weather wasn’t too much of an issue in the end. Didn’t like the sloggy double-track over the top much!

pete68
    Free Member

That bit was horrible wasn’t it Frogstomp. And tge rain just about held off as well. Only a bit for the last 15 minutes.

mccraque

That sloppy double track was a little sapping on lap 3 for me….

For the record – I went for a merino wool base layer with light softshell. Perfect! 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wet weather race clothing – advice please!’ is closed to new replies.