Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Wet Weather Gear Choices Please……
  • ton

after today's drenching i am gonna rethink my clothing choice for winter, to make it a touch more comfortable….

got some nice winter boots
    got some great goretex knee length camo kecks
    got a nice new waterproof (which i stupidly did not put on today)..
    so i need some waterproof, but not bulky gloves, and a good idea for a base layer to wear under a waterproof, i don't wear a mid layer cos i have my own insulation…. 😉
    all ideas welcome………… 8)

LeeW

Can't beat my Sealskinz gloves, can't remember which ones they are, only problem is when you wear them in the cold and the tips of your fingers are cold, you can't blow through the gloves to warm them up.

I just stick to generic base layers from Decathalon to be fair, cheap and cheerful.

Bing
    Free Member

Best gear i can think of is…..

32:16 same as i always run!

oldgit
    Free Member

TBH I just wear normal kit ang get wet, like today! As long as I'm moving I'm alright.
    I save the boots and longs for the cold days, but in this weather I can't stand heating up in rainproofs.

I do have some Altura bases that I can wear directly under a waterproof and I'd recomend them.
    And Gil thin fleece gloves, I fell in a straem during a Strathpuffer solo atempt and they still kept me warm.
    That's about all I can recomend.

ojom
    Free Member

Lizard Skin Blizzards are good and cheap.

Failing that some AlpX gloves fae Gore.

I have some Dakines as well which are good.

mudpup
    Free Member

Vangard baselayers
    Second the Sealskins gloves

mudpup
    Free Member

bonesetter
    Free Member

The Shimano MW80 Gore-Tex Winter Boot is the best winter piece of kit I have ever bought. I went a size bigger so I could wear 2 pairs of socks too, although there is hardly a need to do this as they are so warm

These boots are better than the Lakes and all the rest of them. YMMV of course.

I wear 3/4 shorts through winter with 3/4 leggins which work for even the coldest temps

oxym0r0n

Altura Waterproof shorts are good!

trail_rat
    Free Member

i will probably get shit for this but having always just sucked it and got wet i decided since ill be doing a power of winter milage and mtb this year and the puffer id probably best get kitted out so i bought

some stealth extreme trews , stealth lite trews and a stealth jacket + some deluge gloves

i already owned some Mw02s and neoprene overshoes

today i went out wearing the stealth extremes and the jacket (over a vest baselayer) and my mw02s and overshoes

dont know what its like with you guys but we have flooded roads and shit round here , i just rode through them shin deep in water and very little ingress – was out for around 2 hours torrential rain the whole time , both warm and dry

got home and couldnt believe how dry i was inside , slightly damp at my cuffs on the jacket and slightly damp at the cuffs on my bib longs – where the water from the flooding got in reckon

the gloves on the otehr hand were **** and i had cold wet hands in seconds – least my sealskinz ones kept me warm and wet – yet to find gloves that are as good as my aldi ones for warmth and waterproofing !

loddrik
    Free Member

I have the mw02's which are great until it rains when water seeps in from the ankle and doesn't escape as they are waterproof.

Anyone have any advice/products which can prevent this?

trail_rat
    Free Member

gators and overshoes. – im about to invest in gators to complete the outfit 😉

would rather be warm and wet than cold and dry though. although feet get wet i dont get discomfort from it like i do to in my m220s when the wind whistles straight through

jockhaggis
    Free Member

loddrik, nope, same problem here and take a week to dry out. Could gaffer tape around the ankles?

loddrik
    Free Member

What are gators?

oxnop
    Free Member

which sealskinz gloves are you all talking about? is it these:

http://www.marshallleisure.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1155&currency=GBP

If so are these warm enough for general winter riding?

cullen-bay
    Free Member

i just wear mw80 shoes, sealskins gloves, altura jacket and waterproof trousers. I dont mind cooking, but with all the training im doing over winter im getting quite good at putting up with it. not i just wish i had an ipod shuffle or something.

trail_rat
    Free Member

gaiters

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Don't bother, once you are wet it doesn't matter. Just keep a warm jacket for when you stop!

loddrik
    Free Member

Don't mind being cold as you just need to ride a little quicker to warm up. But cold wet feet can totally ruin a ride for me.

JohnnyPanic

I have the mw02's which are great until it rains when water seeps in from the ankle and doesn't escape as they are waterproof.

Anyone have any advice/products which can prevent this?

Drill holes in the bottom to let the water out. 😀

racing_ralph
    Free Member

what about waterproof shoes/boots for flat pedal users?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Wet Weather Gear Choices Please……’ is closed to new replies.