Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Wet lube on dry lube
  • munkebuen31
    Free Member

Hi
    Took a trip in the woods yesterday on my Mtb in dry conditions. Rinsed my bike when I got home and put on some dry lube (muc off). Today I am planning a new trip but now it’s raining. Question is: can I put wet lube on top of the dry lube I put on yesterday to protect the chain from the wet conditions today?
    Short answer is of course yes, but will the wet lube have any affect?

Kent

StirlingCrispin

Eh?

Water is a lubricant so just ride.
    If the sun comes out just ride through another puddle.

(Worry about rust when you return home. I use Scottoiler FS365 but other products exist)

deadkenny
    Free Member

Just because it’s raining isn’t a reason to use wet lube. It’s thick, sludgy, horrible and will suck all the dirt and mud into the drivetrain and make it horrible. It’s best used for biblical rain or riding through rivers, or just not at all.

A wet lube may make more sense on the road where there’s little crud but a lot of water spray.

Just use dry lube. It’ll be fine in the rain/mud.

Or better, use a wax like Squirt.

Took a trip in the woods yesterday on my Mtb in dry conditions. Rinsed my bike when I got home

Did you really need to rinse the bike? If it was dry, dust off, store, ride again.

munkebuen31
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Well I just gave it a quick splash over – dried the chain with a cloth and when it was dry I put on some dry oil.
    I guess I am being too careful – over careful maybe..:)

But the other day rain surprised me in the woods and chain and crank started making loud grinding sounds very quickly

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I tend to use a dry lube all year round – lasts about one ride, which is fine as I clean my bike after every ride in the winter.

If it’s really mingling & I know I’ll be riding my bike for consecutive days I’ll use a wet lube.

In the summer I’ll clean my bike every couple of rides & relube probably every other ride.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Wet lube on dry lube’ is closed to new replies.