Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wet iPhone. Digitser not working properly? Easy fix? How to back up?
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

We were at the pool and I reached in to pull sandwiches out of the bag. Instead, my wife’s iPhone bounced out and straight into the water.

I was in a fairly good cover and didn’t see water around it inside the case.

We turned it off immediately and left it in rice. Now, only half the screen recognises finger-touching.

Does it sound like a new digitiser is what’s needed?

Is there any way to back it up as the screen can’t unlock.

Thanks a lot

zilog6128

have you tried connecting it to your computer & backing up via iTunes?

When I dunked mine I got it fixed by Apple then bought one of these http://www.lifeproof.co.uk/s/lifeproof_emea_v2/en-gb/apple-iphone-6-apple-iphone-6s/fre-for-iphone-6-6s/77-52566.html?scid=

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I managed to get it backed up with a lucky (many many tries) typing in the passcode as the touch screen isn’t recognising touch properly.

How much did Apple charge you?

zilog6128

£150 if memory serves. Possibly if you take it to an Apple Store they may feel generous & do it for nothing but I haven’t got one particularly close so did it via post.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

oooh!

This is only a 5. Replacement 5C is less than that.

Cheers.

Hopefully it’ll magically fix itself overnight.

drlex
    Free Member

FWIW – Apple official rate is £106.44.
    I was lucky with mine; as the calibration machine wasn’t working, I was given a refurbished unit for the screen replacement price, which sorted the poor battery life and antennae issues that I was experiencing.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Too late now but you should have left it off / in rice / in airing cupboard for days …

Pool water has clorine, sea water has salt, toiket water is best as it where 🙂

If you have a backup you’ll be fine when you get a new/repaired phone. Note a hobyist will buy the phone off you even broken. If you are going to fix it look at changing battery at same time

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

It’s nearly fixed itself over night. Swipe right is a little dodgy as is touching the bottom right corner but it’s getting there.

Hopefully, another day in a warm place will sort it out. If not, my wife’s been reading favourable reviews of a 5C which is the same price as having the 5 fixed, I’m working on the ‘you deserve a new phone* and really I’ve done you a favour’ approach… give it time.

*she’s a sucker for her iPod(s), iPhones, MBP, ATV blah, blah, blah!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wet iPhone. Digitser not working properly? Easy fix? How to back up?’ is closed to new replies.