Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Weston s Mare & Burnham on Sea – any good riding suggestions?
  • greenbikerider
    Free Member

I’m riding around Ashton Court today (Bristol), but thinking about a ride near WSM or Burnham on Sea or Levels nearby tomorrow.

Anyone know any good rides in the area, that are interesting but not too demanding?

GBR.

andyl
    Free Member

I think there is some riding in Weston Woods but never been over.

I would suggest the Mendips but it is a bit muddy at the moment. Nice frost this morning but not sure it’s fully hardened off the ground yet, if it has it will be hard and bumpy due to it all getting churned up over the last couple of weeks.

Might head up for a dog walk later so will report back if I do.

If you’ve not been down before look up the trail guide on the bad ass bikes website.

rob2
    Free Member

Quantocks? Only 45mins from burnham, if not less.

Keep to the top then dip down a Coombe or two would be my recommendation. The top end drains well so all rideable

rob2
    Free Member

Or just go to The Forty in burnham by Morrisons and have a massive breakfast! Love that place

mendippete
    Free Member

Head out of Burnham along beach for 7 miles until you get
    to brean down then come off beach and head for the down, riding up steep climb ( not the steps further along farm track),follow stoney track to the down and back, if its dry cycle out to the end via the grassy ridge. Don’t go at peek time as it will be busy with walkers .
    Some stuff in Weston woods and on bleadon hill .

Duffer
    Free Member

As above, there’s a little riding available in Weston Woods, but it’s only really worth it if you happen to live there. There’s plenty of great riding in the Mendips, but it does suffer badly from the wet weather.

I concur with rob2 – the Quantocks is where it’s at. Follow the A39 until you reach Holford, and ride anywhere with ‘Coombe’ in the name. Some of the best natural riding you’ll find anywhere in the south, it holds up really well to the weather.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I live just outside weston. Tbh, unless you’re local, you’ll struggle to string together anything decent. Weston woods does have some decent singletrack, but again, you’ll struggle to string anything decent together without local knowledge.

Mostly I travel to the dips to ride. I only spend time is weston woods when I only have and hour or two.

neilm
    Free Member

Weston Woods is my playground. You can ride around for hours, completely lost, it’s great fun.

If you want and easy ride, head up to Worlebury golf club and turn towards the woods the top of the hill. If you have come up brutally steep hill with a sharp right and left at the top, then turn right by the golf course (on your left). If you come up a long climb, past loads of houses, turn left.

A better start is to go to Kewstoke and park in the free cp opposite the Commodore pub. Then ride up to the New Castle restaurant. You can either then take the bridleway up into the woods, which is a good long climb, or you can just roll along the road (towards Weston sea front) a few yards, where you will find a multi use gravel path on your left, through a zigzag type gate affair. Ride this all the way to the end, up a couple of decent little climbs. When you come to a T with a bench by it, turn left and that’s another long but gentle climb up into the woods.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Weston s Mare & Burnham on Sea – any good riding suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.