Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Western Lakes route advice please :-)
  • el_boufador

Hello, off up to the lakes at the weekend and planning to stay near Eskdale Green. I really don’t know the area very well at all, and will hopefully be able to squeeze a few hours in for an early morning ride.

I want to make the most of it, so does anyone have any suggestions for trails in the area not to miss?

Ideally I’d like to ride straight from Eskdale Green to cut down on any travelling time.

I don’t mind hike a bike if the descent is worth it!

Cheers!!!!

grum
    Free Member

4 passes route is close by and arguably the best route in the Lakes if you like tech and don’t mind hike-a-bike. Not sure what the BW link to Eskdale is like though.

Garry_Lager

Mitterdale loop is nice, although fairly short – up Eskdale on the BW south side of the river to Boot [cross on the stepping stones, or go to the end bridge and ride back a bit], then up to Burnmoor tarn. This climb was 95% rideable when I did it [first bit a short push], but looked like it would be boggy with rain and possibly have you off pushing.
    Round the top of the tarn and then some fine singeltrack down Miterdale back to the green. Could maybe worked into something bigger?

Swear to God the BW from Maiden Castle cairn toward Miterdale on the map does not exist at the start. The black path on the OS 50,000 map does, though, so prob head for that.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

High Street.

If I went back up to the lakes for a ride, I’d do High Street again.

It was hike, views were lovely, I ran out of water, I was running (rolling) on empty towards the end, I thought I’d never make it back, most memorable ride in the Lakes.

I’d do it again, in fact, I think I’ll make plans.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

High Street is very much in the East

simon1975

Is the bridleway around Devoke Water visible on the ground? Any good to ride? It always looks very pleasant up there when I’m driving through over Birker Fell 🙂

smiththemainman
    Free Member

As Garry Lager says but i`ve always done it in reverse and climbed up Mitredale and then round Burnmoor dropping into Boot then pick up bridleway near Esk view farm and follow river down to Forge Bridge.Option to add a bit on at the end out to Muncaster fell then follow the Ratty train for a bit before peeling off left and back on the road to Eskdale Green. Been years since i have ridden it but was always a nice ride.

dpfr

It’s many years since I was up around Devoke Water but it was all either horrible bog or horrible loose rocks when I was there.

Definitely recommend the Bower House at Eskdale Green- good food and decent beer (oh and accommodation if you haven’t got that organised yet)

TomB

Prolonged dry spell means burnmoor tarn area should be all good. Could carry on from there to wasdale head to join 4 passes route if you were a masochist…..

el_boufador

Nice one, thanks all, will get the maps out tonight 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Four passes is a full day job. For a 2-3hr ride up to burnmoor tarn and either back down mitredale and up the forest road into mitredale forest wiggle up to the top the bridleway the cuts through the middle of the forest and blast down (excellent descent) or if you’ve got a bit longer over to wasdale head then down the side of the lake to the first bridleway left, follow this into the forest but turn off onto forest Rd/footpath to the right around south of latterbarow and follow fps round irton Pike, exit woods and turn right on to road, climb a short way on Rd to a good on the left climb (steeeeep) fpath up to intersection with bway you left in latterbarow.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Western Lakes route advice please :-)’ is closed to new replies.