Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Westbury White Horse Ride, BH Monday
  • rOcKeTdOg

BBB preview ride, please let me know!

i’m not suprised WCA didn’t want to do that drop, his bike is so light he has to keep it on the ground as the wind might blow it away!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

RD, surely the lightness of the bike is counteracted by the weight of the rider…!

😉

*Disclaimer – Same can be said of yours truly when on the NRS or the road bikes!

knottie8
    Free Member

nice pics ! and that cream tea looks good too.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks to Gilles, Heathy et al for making this such a fun ride 😀

Glad to have seen the “horse” but what happened to the chalk? Local information needed please!

I am so relieved that WCA didn’t attempt that descent, he has his own room in the General but that couldn’t be guaranteed in the local hospital 🙄

Heathy – good call on the cafe. The coffee cake was delicious and what a huge slab too 😀

Anna – good pics again and those bluebells – wow.

Rusty trowel – my email is cinnamongirl@btinternet.com so if you could throw up some dates and I will throw up some routes.

Yep, will be organising a Big Bike Bash preview ride so will post seperately.

Cheers.

heathy
    Free Member

The earlier Westbury horse was about 100 feet high and 100 feet long and faced in the opposite direction to the present one. It was destroyed in 1778 when Mr Gee, steward to Lord Abingdon, the local landowner, did not like its strange shape and cut a larger and more conventional horse. This measured 163 feet high by 166 feet long. This horse was restored in 1853 and again in 1873 when edging stones were put in place to help prevent erosion. In 1903 and 1936 concrete was added to the edging stones and the horse was completely concreted over in the 1950s.

heathy
    Free Member

Yep, good ride today and good to meet you guys/girls and just got away with the weather too. Glad everybody enjoyed themselves.
    I had a look at the big bike bash site, looks good so have decided to take the whole family down.
    Glles/captain we will have to hook up for more rides as your local!

leeson
    Free Member

Is it Of “Reema” construction Heathy? Lol

Glad you liked the DH bit You followed me on. 🙂

For a short push back up its an imense run.

Blandford sometime in the summer?

Chris

captain_bastard
    Free Member

definetly – put my email in profile. Weekday evenings are usually best for me.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Cheers all, another good ride all round, finishing perfectly with cream tea 🙂

Must post up some info about the next Purbecks thing. Free music festival at the Square and Compass on 13/14th June. For some reason, the idea of music, alcohol and riding being combined into one event seems important to me…..

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Those photos don’t do justice to the steepness of that drop. That could have ended really badly.

Another good ride today, lots of ups and lots of nice downs. Nice to see you all.

Captain, let me know when you’re free (Wed evenings 6ish and Sun mornings 10ish are best).

CG, will look into routes/dates for an Andover/North Hampshire day out.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

i think one of those brown tourist type signs

There’s a sign speshly for someone like me? Excellent! 😀

I’m going to come and graffiti that horse. Looks shit, just plain concrete.

gusamc
    Free Member

Just wanted to post a quick thanks to the local guides and everybody else, excellent route, damn those hills …… really enjoyed it.

Did find the bluebells with gf, as well.

Thnks for a geat day out.

Gus

Gilles

Glad you liked it, and thanks again for Heathy and C_B for taking us over the wood down Erlestoke. Sorry for the concrete white horse, but if I told you that, nobody would have come…The Bluebell picture is great!

cinnamon_girl

heathy – thanks for the local info on the gee-gee. Apparently there are 8 white horses in Wiltshire and Oxfordshire and there’s a 90 mile walking route.

Anyone else up for this challenge? It could be split over a couple of weekends. Maps are currently scattered on the table so let planning commence 8)

Such nice smiley people in Wiltshire on Monday, unlike those miserable so and so’s in the Chilterns on Saturday 🙄

Anna-B
    Free Member

CG you have great ideas for bike rides and plan ace routes! I hope one day I can do maps too. Yep, the folk were tops on Monday weren’t they. Thought they were nice in Dorset as well. You should boycott The Miserable Chilterns and the miserable chilterners. There’s enough riding where the happy folk are.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks Anna!

Hey, don’t knock the Chilterns too much though cos there’s some really good riding. In fact, if you fancy a ride there let me know and I will happily show you around the parts I know.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Westbury White Horse Ride, BH Monday’ is closed to new replies.