Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • West Lancs cheek – which cheeky trails are best to abuse?
  • ourmaninthenorth

So, having found myself in rural heaven in West Lancs, there is the severly limiting factor of essentially no legit off road I can take me and the cross bike or MTB.

So, I propose to take an interpretative view, but it would be good to know what, if any, decent cheek these is about.

Near Parbold, for those who know.

woody2000

geordiemick00 is nr Wigan somewhere, he might be able to help you

http://www.singletrackworld.com/members/geordiemick00/

Though your not far from Rivington, loads round there AFAIK

ourmaninthenorth

Yep. Just thinking of what I can reasonably get to from the front door without using the car/train.

xiphon
    Free Member

Rivington Pike’s a good place to lark about.

Esme
    Free Member

Do you have Memory Map? There’s a load of cheeky stuff here

ourmaninthenorth

xiphon – cheers.

esme – no, though that’s a useful link. Even if “woollybacks” feels me with a certain sort of fear….

Junkyard
    Free Member

Rivvy will have the best riding available locally- though obviously not from your door
    E-mail me if you fancy a tour we ride tuesday night as well, all year round

ourmaninthenorth

Junkyard – will do. Cheers. Just need to rebuild the MTB. Oh, and get a whole lot fitter than I am right now….

billysewartcrf
    Free Member

There’s loads to go at up rivvy mate, we ride weds night and Sunday’s always about 10-15 riders

lowey

You wont need to get fit to ride with Junky mate. 😛

Vortexracing

I’m in Coppull, so if you want me to show you some stuff round here (it’s only 10-15 minutes form Parbold) I’m more than willing.

LOL @ Lowey, he’ll be after you for that snipe, you know.

which side of the Parbold hill are you the bottom or top?

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes he will

Off we set up the **** **** of a climb that is Hummer lane. Donk and Johnnie sailing up while us 4 struggled like ****

Loweys blog I am Johnnie
    regards

ourmaninthenorth

which side of the Parbold hill are you the bottom or top?

Mawdesley side.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Ourmaninthenorth,I’m in Ormskirk,and if I just want to get the miles in I do a few laps round Ashurst beacon,quiet lanes ride from out the door,or over this end I go across towards Formby & do the Cheshire Lines.
    For getting off road though just get yourself up to Rivi,from Parbold it’s only about 13 miles.HTH

ourmaninthenorth

I ought to point out that I’m mainly a roadie, but having moved from south Manchester (where the offroad from the doorstep was the Mersey riverbank), I wondered what there was immediately locally – paucity of fbridleways on the OS suggested cheek was the only option.

I’ll drag the MTB over to Ashurst Beacon, but more likely to Rivi. In fact, now I’ve got a CX bike, I think I’ll take that down the sneaky footpaths..!

Cheers all, and I’ll be in touch at some point for an inaugural Tour de Rivi.

lowey

Bit of selective editing there young junky….

Off we set up the ****ing **** of a climb that is Hummer lane. Donk and Johnnie sailing up while us 4 struggled like **** to keep our breakfasts down and the rake of ale from the previous night

lipseal
    Free Member

lowey that sound like my type of riding, might join you one day. Do struggle with hills as I have the legs of a chicken and the lungs of a field mouse. 😐

Junkyard
    Free Member

perhaps 😆
    Think you got a little further up the Walna scar last drag than me but only because I was so fast at the start 😉
    OP if you want to join us e-mail me we dont mind speed if it is a Tuesday and nice weather.
    If you like to pretend you are rding whilst basically doing a tour of pubs mail lowey 😆

ourmaninthenorth

OP if you want to join us e-mail me we dont mind speed if it is a Tuesday and nice weather.
    If you like to pretend you are rding whilst basically doing a tour of pubs mail lowey

Will do. Cheers fella.

binners

Everything defaults to bridleway of an evening sir. Give us a shout when you’ve got the bike built. Rivi/Darwen/Rammy is all do-able. If Lowey lets you of course. It is his land after all 😀

ourmaninthenorth

Give us a shout when you’ve got the bike built. Rivi/Darwen/Rammy is all do-able. If Lowey lets you of course. It is his land after all

Will do. And I’ll start saving my land entry fees for Lowey.

And I thought it was bad enough working with Lord Reade…. 😉

traildog
    Free Member

I used to work in Apply Bridge and would often extend my ride home to go round Rivington. There were a few routes there, the canal was my favourite but I also went through haigh hall or use a bridleway near Standish.
    There are loads of rough lanes out on the planes and our club often take the cross rides for a classics style of ride.
    Another option would be to use the lanes to Eccleston, down backlane to Euxton, German Lane to get to Astley Park, then through Chorley to Healy Nab. About 10 easy flat miles for you to then have a good blast around the trails there, then chill riding home again.

ourmaninthenorth

traildog – cheers.

I’ve been out on the lanes on the road bike, and seen the various not-quite-legit looking tracks that cross fields and the like.

Good opportunity to use the cross bike to explore. Trouble is, I’m out in the evenings and so are the farmers..!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘West Lancs cheek – which cheeky trails are best to abuse?’ is closed to new replies.