Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • West Highland Way by bike
  • Xan
    Free Member

Hi All,

Me and a few friends are considering doing the west highland way by bike at some point this year. Has anyone got any info about doing this. I have read mixed reveiws saying that it can be done and others saying that it can’t. Can anyone that has completed this clarify what is required for the bits that you cant cycle?

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Can anyone that has completed this clarify what is required for the bits that you cant cycle?<

Stamina – or a ferry.

Xan
    Free Member

I assume when you are saying a ferry that there is alot of water crossings??

brownpants
    Free Member

3 of us are doing Tyndrum to Fort William and back on Friday and Saturday which is the Northern half of WHW – the riding is supposed to be alot better so I’ll let you know how it went.

Just off to check weather but think it’ll be ok.

Sanny
    Free Member

Past Inversnaid for a few kilometres is a bit of a carry. The rest can be ridden with the occassional push up the Devil’s Staircase.

Cheers

Sanny

marty
    Free Member

yes it can be done. three days is generous, two is do-able and one would be a proper challenge.

take the higher forest road option at ptarmigan lodge, the loch side path isn’t great riding. top end of loch lomond (inversnaid to inveruglas) is three hours mainly pushing, but if you chicken out and take the ferry you’ll not be able to tick the WHW off… 😉

better riding to be had elsewhere, but some nice stuff and great scenery most of the way. make sure you start each day with a hangover.

andy@innerhaven
    Free Member

About 5km between Inversnaid Hotel and Doune bothy is tough going (carrying, scrambling, rooty) – from Doune north to the head of the Loch is sensatonal. So, two options: either tough it out, or you can catch the wee ferry to/from Inversnaid Hotel/Inveruglas depending on which way you’re heading. 😀

marty
    Free Member

I assume when you are saying a ferry that there is alot of water crossings??
    ah, just pub chat then? 🙂

can catch ferry (unscheduled) across loch from inversnaid hotel to miss the worst bit of loch lomondside.

other advice would be to fit a bell and get used to grumpy looks from walkers who haven’t bothered to check our awesome access laws.

What Sanny said above. You can take a ferry across Loch Lomond to miss out the worst bit of pushing. Give me a shout if you need luggage transfer, back up, accommodation etc.

info@scottishmountainbikeguides.com

Cheers,

phil

http://www.scottishmountainbikeguides.com

Xan
    Free Member

thanks for this. Does anyone know of any online blogs that have been produced, maps, pictures ect, ect.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Must be more walkers blogs on the subject of the WHW than any other route in Scotland. Google is your friend…

If you’re doing the route proper then avoid the use of panniers

Xan
    Free Member

Was thinking that should carry very little gear to keep weight down and use courier service (£7.50 a day) to move camping gear about. This is what my girlfriend did when she walked it a few yerars ago.

When I told her I was wanting to cyle it she told me I was off my head. Better start training.

brant
    Free Member

I can’t remember how, but I found a man with a boat, who just took me across just before the worst bit. But it is about 20yrs ago, so I can’t remember anything.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

You an ex Unreal Tournament player Xan?

Xan
    Free Member

No, not me.

brownpants
    Free Member

Update if you’re interested Xan

It took us 8 hours from Tyndrum to Fort william and I wouldn’t say it’s really worth doing . Boring tracks with loads of drainage ditches which make climbing too hard on bits which would otherwise be doable . They have made it sterile for all the walkers I guess so I’d go do a lakeland loop or something .

rickmeister

BP is that for real? Dont remember any rain bars across Rannoch Moor, push up the Staircase and a screamer down to Kinlochleven…. is the run to Fort Bill so bad from KLL ?

Steve_Lockhart

Walkers Cycling Club did it in about 17hours last summer for charidee. email me and i’ll see if i can dig up the route, and stop points etc. Pictures can be seen on Flickr. It’s worth it!
    PS – take every midge repellant you have!

Xan
    Free Member

well I think I have read every blog and article about this on the internaet and we have decided that we are going to do it. We are thinking that the first week in August Wed to Friday. Need to start training and I am thinking of making a few upgrades the the xc comp for doing this. Has always been the plan but think I am just using this as an excuse. 🙂 🙂

Hmm a new set of forks and a new seat are the first investments. I nice set of fox pikes are what I think I might go for. Second hand ones probabkly so if anyone is selling any??

Steve tried to email you however keeps failing, is your mail box too full. Can you please email me the info you have please. paulxan (at) hotmail (dot) co (dot) uk

thanks all for your advice, its appreciated and I am sure I’ll have a few more posts before then annoying all you STW’er and looking for your advice lol

brownpants
    Free Member

Rickmeister- Ref the ditches – Rannock moor fine but out of KLL ditches all the way until you meet the military road again- then fine until woods into FW ( that was the best bit of it but up the staircase was just stupid as it was rideable really . Then ditches again until you get to the sharp techy jagged rock bits . ‘screamer’ a bit boring I thought especially with no brake 😉
    I will go back and do it again with the GGW too as I now know what to expect now so won’t be let down .

Xan
    Free Member

thanks for that Brownpants. I know know what bits to expect to be “bored” at.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

First week in August, you say?

Look out for Culicoides impunctatus and just don’t stop…

Xan
    Free Member

I will. Thats why we are going to do during the week in the hope it is a bit quieter. I have heard that is peak walking time. Need to fit a set of air horns I think. Even better a nice dukes of hazard dixie horn lol 🙂

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

If you are going in August you need a catering pack of midge stuff. Do not ignore this – midges are hell on earth if you are not prepared.

The best and cheapest option is Avon Skin So Soft – yes really. It does not repel them (nothing does) but it does usually stop them biting

Xan
    Free Member

Thanks. I have lived in Scotland all my life and I do alot of outdoor sports so I am more than experienced of the little Ba****ds lol.

I use Skin so soft and as you said the best of a bad bunch lol

allyharp

I’m just back from doing the WHW yesterday and it was raining most of the time. One thing I’d point out is that the mud really seemed to take its toll on the bikes.

My bottom bracket started grinding, creaking and even jamming after the first 20 miles (it is 2 years old so this is obviously a build-up over time, but it’s convenient how it breaks on a multi-day ride) and we suffered 4 broken chains across 3 of the bikes.
    I was the only one who needed to change brake pads though.

Peregrine
    Free Member

Tyndrum to Fort william is the only section i have done, ran it in 7 hours, which means its an easy day on the bike. Beautiful scenery, stunning views but don’t stop or the midges will get you.

Xan
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback.

I have done the first 15 miles or so myself and had the exact same problem. Some really boggy bits before you hit Gartness that I was getting constant chain zapp. It was a killer.

Ally harp how long did it take you to complete?

u02sgb
    Free Member

Hi,
    I’d planned to do the top half last summer but various things contrived to stop it.

Might be an idea to do it North to South to go against the flow of the walkers? I ride the bit out of Milngavie and we usually try to do the WHW bit in reverse as your not coming up behind the walkers and trying to get them to move. It’s a bit difficult to ignore a bike coming towards you!

Stu.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘West Highland Way by bike’ is closed to new replies.