Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • West highland way around Loch Lomond
  • rooney
    Free Member

So a group of us are planning to do in a day on 1st June. I want to do the actual route which I believe involves about a 2 hour carry around Loch Lomond. I know there will be more carrying throughout the route.

A couple of others say it’s a 4-5 hour carry around Loch Lomond and want to take easy side of loch.

Those that have done this what’s the rough times – details please.

Cheers
    Sam

scotroutes

If you don’t follow the marked path then you haven’t cycled the West Highland Way. I’m failing to see why so many people find that hard to comprehend.

The carry comes in two sections – a shorter one south of Inversnaid and a longer/tougher one between Inversnaid and the bothy. You might have two hours of carrying I guess, certainly not 4-5 (that would be more like the total time up the lochside). FWIW, the road on the other side is crap for cycling on – too busy with trucks and caravans.

maddyutah

This old one – dont deviate from the path.
    It took us about 3 1/2 hours last month Inversnaid to Ben Ghlas(good place to stay), one of the guys with us was struggling a bit with his fitness.
    The last bit before Inversnaid a bit off/ony but not too bad
    Quite enjoyed some of the bits at the start of Loch Lomandside especially the bit with the steps before Rowardennan
    Good Route you will enjoy it (well most of it)

Scotty You haven’t cycled it either, unless you are Hans Ray.

maddyutah

Thread on trailscotland that might interest you
    http://www.trailscotland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=5795

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

4/5hrs sounds around right for the whole of the Loch Lomond section. Rode/carried it a lot last year. It’s a great route to do in a day. Good luck..

gordimhor

Thoroughly recommend cycling all the way from Milngavie to Rowardennan, beyond Rowardennan was a fair bit of carrying for a fat man on a bike like me. A lot will depend on the weather/trail conditions when you go.

Waderider
    Free Member

“Good route”

How in earth is that section a ‘good route’? It has the main attribute of a shite route, namely persistant portage.

Personally I don’t understand why folk feel the need to follow a designated route. There are many better examples of Scottish MTBing than the Westy, especially that section.

I think it’s just laziness myself 😈 Make up your own 96 mile ride……

maddyutah

Good route overall

ktmblag
    Free Member

i did the entire west highland way in the day and can’t remember doing that much carrying down loch side. maybe an hour on and off

rooney
    Free Member

Sounds better ill show the guys this. Now hope for nice weather 🙂

Cheers

cbike
    Free Member

Use the three lochs way and avoid 9 million walkers if you have any sense.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘West highland way around Loch Lomond’ is closed to new replies.