Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • West Highland Way….
  • fergal
    Free Member

Slow and heavy is the way forward, did it with porters a few years ago, stout trustworthy fellows, who communicate by burping, don’t forget the champagne!

gordimhor

Utterly wrong Fergal. Slow and light is the way to do it. Frequent stops in the many excellent shops and licensed premises along the way make it more enjoyable.
    Don’t go by what I say, just ask your porters.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Sub-14 hrs is easily do-able for an averagely fit rider IMO

No it’s not.

If you lined all mountain bikers up in order of fitness and took the middle one then there is no way he would do WHW in 13 hours something.
    I’d go as far as saying Mr average MTBer wouldn’t even manage it IAD

benp1

What time of year would be the best time of year to do it?
    (no midges and minimal walkers)

May/June time before the summer and midges hit yet when there’s lot of light

fergal
    Free Member

gordimhor i’m only jesting :D.

Of course light is right, did it with my ten year old and his mum, wild camping, packs were tiny, but included tent/sleeping bags, carried very little food, just some super noodles, meals and provisions purchased along the way.

4.5 days the youth was skipping into Fort William.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

How on earth do you get 20kg on a bike for off road use? How did you HAB?

All food and water and camping gear, plenty luxuries. Unlike lots in here it seems, I wasn’t in some superlight adventure race.

benp1

I’m not saying you should have been racing, but it’s still a lot of kit to be hauling

I’m guessing you weren’t using bikepacking bags? You’d struggle to have enough space to fit 22kg into the luggage space, unless it was entirely filled with scottish tablet

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

it’s still a lot of kit to be hauling

Quite.

Merak

@thegeneralist to reiterate, your post was excellent. It helped me loads.

I’m enjoying a pint in Fort William atm. 3 days is about right for most bikers.Lots of (predictable) willy waving in this thread. Good luck to you.

Anyone who covers the distance gets my respect.

As mentioned, it’s about enjoying the journey and sharing the experience.

I met a guy who was doing it for the 54th time. Unbelievable!

seosamh77
    Free Member

how were the midges this time of year, ok? you camp or stay in digs?

matt_outandabout

I met a guy who was doing it for the 54th time.

You would have thought there are other bits of Scotland he would enjoy wandering through…

Merak

I camped at Beinglas top of the loch and this happened. They were ferocious with a net and Smidge.

Stayed at Kingshouse last night. Personally I wouldn’t camp.

That bit after Inversnaid, don’t do it, it’s drudgery. Ferry, pub. Theres plenty more to challenge you further on.

Que the pain is only temporary brigade who’ve done it with a 20’odd kilo backpack on a niche steel 26’er with no midge replellant drank their own pish…:)

Merak

matt_outandabout – Member
    You would have thought there are other bits of Scotland he would enjoy wandering through…

He must really hate his wife 🙂 I don’t get it either. There’s plenty more challenging walks out there.

scotroutes

If you don’t do the bit north of Inversnaid them you’ve not done the WHW. That’s fine, but there are then better routes you could have spent your time on.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘West Highland Way….’ is closed to new replies.