Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • West Highland Way….
  • Merak

So I left on Saturday, walking with everything I needed. Made it to Balmaha over Conic Hill, destroyed.

Had to be rescued. Back to the drawing board.

Cheating but I’m getting my luggage taken onwards for me and I’m now taking my bike, has any one on here done it?

I’m starting back in Milngavie again.

What stages did you do? I’m thinking 3 days no?

tomd
    Free Member

Is there anyway you can lighten your kit and try again? A lot of folk get a bit carried away with stuff and suffer for it.

E.g. you’d probably like a spare tshirt but do you want to carry that for 100,000s of steps? Do you need the bottom half of your toothbrush? Saw it off. It all adds up – it’s easy to keep taking more. It blows my mind that folk carry litres of water on the WHW when you’re never more than a few km from a clean-ish stream. That’s a bit weight saving right there.

3 days should be fairly enjoyable/leisurely to ride, but again, it will be miserable unless you can cut your kit down to a minimum.

drslow
    Free Member

Ive cycled it twice now. first time 3 days, earlier this year i did it in two. Surprisingly a lot of it is ridable. Take a day pack and use the baggage service and enjoy. Remember you do need to be self sufficient.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Merak

Yeah, I’m going to get my bag, which contained my tent, mat, sleeping, bag, food, change of clothes and waterproofs taken to my drop off points.

Bit niave of me to think I’d be able to carry 22kgs.

So stop at Inverarnan and at Kingshouse. That’s the plan anyway, bit concerned about the hike a bike bit at the top of the loch but I’ll see how bad it is when I get there.

rugbydick

Last time I did it, took me just over 24 hours… but that was slow because I fell and hurt my knee on the lochside.

But yeah, if you’re staying in B&B/hotels there shouldn’t be any need to carry the 80L rucksacks you see most folk with

markshires
    Free Member

I quite fancy having a go at this sometime. There was a write up by somebody on here a few months ago that was pretty good and maybe of interest.

BoardinBob

I’m confused.

You couldn’t make it past Balmaha because you were knackered?

What makes you think you’ll be able to cycle the whole thing even without kit if your fitness is so bad you couldn’t walk it? There are some big climbs that are way easier on foot than on a bike

benp1

22kg?!?!? Seriously??

That’s about 15kg too much! And not far off what an experienced bikepacker would weigh including bike and kit combined!

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

The bit to balmaha is (bar conic hill) very easy compared to the rest of the route… I did it in 17 hours over 2 days.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Experience of an unfit cyclist! 😆

Milngavie to the bottom of the descent down to the foot of conic hill, cycleable.

Conic hill, push up, pretty steep on the way back down, I got to the stairs(I think you can go left and just fire down the grass, not sure though, couldn’t be arsed doing it again.) I’d 1 otb moment and I don’t think I made it down the whole thing.

Up to rowarrdennen is generally alright, if yer gubbed, the upppy down nature can be a pain.

beyond this, haven’t done it, don’t fancy the north LL side at all going by reports.

I’ve done the train up to tyndrum and done the last bit though. Which is fine. (should be fine to start from the drovers as far as I know though.)

tyndrum to bridge or orchy, all cyclable

Up to mam carraigh is cycable, the down is excellent

Over rannoch moor to kingshouse is easy enough, though watch yourself, I did come off at one point due to not paying attention properly!

kingshouse along is fine, but up the devils staircase is a push, down the devils staircase is good, but can be a bit rough in places. fire road end is a bit of a disappointment.

Push up from kinlochleven is a killer, but there’s an alternative fireroad route that is easier to cycle I think.

From the top of the kinlochleven to the split of choice of road or uppy downy to FW is all good an easy enough, most scenic bit for me, loved it in there more than the other bits to be honest, cracking valley.

after split, it’s a bit uppy down, good, but if you are gubbed by this stage there’s some pushing. Downhill in to glen nevis was all fireroad for me, but there were diversions in place, so I don’t know if I missed some better downhills.

Most of it is cyclable of the bits I’ve done, really depends on your fitness. Less fitness = more pushing!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Half a mo

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Sorry. Easiest way to find the thread was to click on my username and get history.

Hmm 3 days. Yes doable. 4 days was reasonably mellow

we$t with wean

drslow
    Free Member

I started a blog but haven’t got round to finishing it. Let me know if anyone is interested in seeing the rest and i’ll put sometime into it.

https://westhighlandwaycycle.wordpress.com/

Merak

How dare you question my fitness, the very cheek of it!

AlasdairMc

I did it in July in 17hrs, so consider that a baseline for moving time and then spread it over three days. I’d personally aim for Inversnaid, then Tyndrum and then Fort William. That way you’ve got the toughest bit while you’re fresh in the morning on the second day.

That said, it’s an annoyance more than THE WORST THING EVER, just two hours of pushing and dragging the bike. After that, it’s a long slow climb to above Crianlarich and a nice drop to Tyndrum. Last day is probably the most fun, perhaps 7hrs moving or so.

Merak

Cheers Alisdair, that’s the kind of feed back I’m after.

Did I mention I was doing it on a chopper?

Merak

@thegeneralist

Your post is excellent reference,looks like you both enjoyed it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What Bob said.

Walking, 2nd day is way harder than first, stroll by comparison.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I’m confused.

You couldn’t make it past Balmaha because you were knackered?

What makes you think you’ll be able to cycle the whole thing even without kit if your fitness is so bad you couldn’t walk it? There are some big climbs that are way easier on foot than on a bike

What?

Conic Hill with 22kg would be tough. Also, to Balmaha is 20 miles. I suppose if you know what colour the boathouse is at Hereford, it’s a piece of piss.

Walking with a heavy load, is completely different from cycling.

Merak

This^

I’m 75kg, sub 4 hr Marathon, sub hr 25 and consider myself fit for being 40. Carrying that weight for that distance is the hardest thing I’ve done for quite some time.

Anyways, going to have another go tomorrow.

keith74

Having just completed it over 2 days it’s definitely do able and I’m not really bike fit.Seen enough drainage ditches to last me forever right enough.Made it to tyndrum on the first day after an early start first bit conic is pretty easy once you get used to gates.Loch Lomond side I didn’t think was that bad just hesd down and keep walking soon disappears.

As said carry as little as possible think I had under 15kg of kit including sleeping bag and bivi bag.Lots of places to get food and water along the way so no point carrying lots if it.

Merak

So, made it to the top of the loch from Milngavie. How do you like them apples BoardinBob?

Don’t believe what anyone says, the bit along the loch after Inversnaid is desperate.

Kingshouse tomorrow, in the rain 🙂 Yaldi.

Incidentally, spoke to a boy in Balmaha who was planning on doing it on foot on three days, his dry pack weight was under 10kg! Right on the edge this chap, gibbing diazepam to get him through, his feet were in bits. Kudos to the walkers.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So, made it to the top of the loch from Milngavie. How do you like them apples BoardinBob?

I did it as a complete novice in 99 walking with a 65l pack jammed full of stuff I didn’t need, even got bladdered in balmaha and didn’t pack it in. I certainly wasn’t fit enough to do a sub 4 marathon then, but I didn’t have to be rescued.

My Apple’s are fine! 😆

Merak

Yes, but did you do it on a chopper? 😯

trail_rat
    Free Member

the top of the loch from Milngavie on a bike in 1 day ?

when did you leave ? 2pm ? :D:D

Used to do a lot of that sort of backpacking in my late teens.

A full up load would be about 35pounds even with 1980’s kit (presumably heavier than modern stuff?)

First day used to be OK, the second day would be agony. After that it gets easier day by day. By the end of the first week you wouldn’t really notice the weight. I don’t think the sort of fitness required to run a marathon or ride a bike is that relevant. Its just getting used to putting one foot in front of the other for hours and hours every day.

The trick is to go moderate the first day, take it really easy on the second and then build your distance up again on third and subsequent days.

trail_rat
    Free Member

its the same when bike touring really … if you get past the third day of bike touring i find you can go indefinitely.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes, but did you do it on a chopper?

No, shanks pony!

BoardinBob

Merak – Member – Block User – Quote

elliptic
    Free Member

Incidentally, spoke to a boy in Balmaha who was planning on doing it on foot on three days, his dry pack weight was under 10kg!

Still way too heavy!

Rucksack = 500g
    Warm top, hat, gloves = 500g
    Mountain marathon tent = 1kg
    Light sleeping bag + mat = 1kg
    Stove + pot + mug + coffee + flapjack = 1kg
    Phone, map, headtorch, toothbrush, spare socks etc = 1kg

What on earth do you need that’s another 5kg on top of that? 😕

trail_rat
    Free Member

im sure everyones granddad would walk further than that just to get to school ! in shorts in winter in snow higher than the lamp posts

seosamh77
    Free Member

Stove + pot + mug + coffee + flapjack = 1kg = bank card/beer fund.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😆

benp1

Dry pack weight under 10kg is good but not excellent. I wasn’t joking in my earlier post, if your kit is 22kg that is 15kg too much.

You’re obviously fit enough, fitter than me!, but there’s no fun hauling that much kit around. You’re carrying it more than you’re using it, take less stuff, and the stuff you do take should as light as possible

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I like how this thread is all about doing it better than the other person.

IMO The West Highland Way (in whatever fashion you do it in) is about taking your time to enjoy the views and pubs and saying hello to folk on the way.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Crumbs. I’m glad me and my 11 year old son didn’t meet any of you double awesome dudes when we biked it over 4 days last month and took well over 20kg of kit.

You’d have quite rightly made us feel thoroughly inadequate.

I’m off to buy a titanium mug.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Biked it on the soul with 20kg of kit a couple of years back, such weight a granny ring gave awesome traction!.

benp1

How on earth do you get 20kg on a bike for off road use? How did you HAB?

iainc

Nobraininhisheid likely had a wood burning stove on his back along with some artisan oatcakes and a fish pie in his pocket 🙂

GavinB

There is a peculiarly British habit of packing too much for trips such as this, often from a ‘just in case’ mindset, which just slows you down to the extent that the extra kit is required. Fast and light, fast and light!

That said, I walked it when I was 18 (a few years ago, :oops:) over 3.5 days. That was carrying tents, stoves and restocking on some food as we went.

I rode it solo a couple of summers back in around 15hrs. Started at 5am in Milngavie, into Fort William for around 8pm. I carried a Wingnut bag, carrying a couple of bottles on the bike and it worked ok, but meant that I had to stop at a few shops and cafes enroute to refuel. Not sure I’d want to do it again though, unless I had some support lined up. Sub-14 hrs is easily do-able for an averagely fit rider IMO with a bit of prep and support.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘West Highland Way….’ is closed to new replies.