Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • “WEST HIGHLAND WAY”
  • plus-one

hi all..me and my brother planning to ride whw over 2 days sometime in august..i’m looking for some info/advice please..

1. south to north or north to south..?
    2.good digs midway..? (if not too late to get owt)
    3.anything else i should no..?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m told the path by Loch Lomond is unrideable, I chose the road. I B&B’d in Tyndrum IIRC. I’v only heard of folk doing it S->N – trails get better the further north you get.

13thfloormonk

I’ve only done it south to north, but think its the best way, there’s a few descents riding s-n that would make miserable climbs the other way.

Tyndrum is a good mid-way point with lots of accomodation, we stayed in the wigwams, but there’s also a hostel (called ‘by-the-way’ i think).

Lots of people will tell you about the horrors to be found on loch lomond side. There is a section after inversnaid which is unrideable and makes for awkward carrying, it can be avoided by taking the ferry to Ardlui then rejoining the way further up the road. We rode/carried it because we were too lazy to organise ferries etc. it wasn’t too bad but took ages.

Run some big tyres and consider tubeless for maximum fun (lots of rocks and waterbars)

stuartie_c
    Free Member

South -> North – that way you finish with the best bits.

Not sure about accom. but there should be plenty of options around Crianlarich/Tyndrum. I’ve often fancied Inveroran Hotel, if only because I have pleasant, hazy memories of getting pished there as a student 20 years ago.

Anything else? As it’s going to be August, do not stop under any circumstances. If your brother gets a puncture, just leave him and ride on. If you get a puncture, you’re dead…

13thfloormonk

Haha, very true stuartie!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

The ferry from Inversnaid to Inveruglas doesn’t need booking – just roll up and roll on.

sofatester
    Free Member

Wait till late September/early October. If you do it in August you will know why 😆

Vader
    Free Member

I went south to north as above and would do it that way again. The section at the top end of loch lomond is a pain but ok if you know it’s coming. I’d stick with it cos the section once the loch ends is pretty good technical st. We camped at the site behind the drovers but it wouldnt be too hard to carry on to tyndrum, or Crianlarich if Tyndrum was a bit too much. I would avoid the wig wams on account of miserable service and expensive cups of tea. Very poor.

Best thing we took was a bell. Even in march/april there were a far few walkers – a quick ting on the bell from several metres out alerted them and they happly waved us by. No trouble whatsoever. I’d also try and get up and away early before the walking groups get going. There are somee fast descents and chalenging climbs that would be iffy with people on.

FWIW I ran 2.0 maxxis larsens, ace for the road and big enough on the technical stuff. It was dry although I cant imagine mud being a problem anywhere

All in all a great ride

plus-one

thanks folks south to north it is then..may try to re-schedule for late september..been eaten alive by midges a few times and i can’t think of anything else that comes close to that intense attack fi the wee feckers..!

cheers..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘“WEST HIGHLAND WAY”’ is closed to new replies.