Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • West Coast of Scotland Motorhome Tour. Itinerary suggestions.
  • justatheory
    Free Member

I’m heading up to Scotland for Xmas for 10 days with Mrs. We’re planning to head to Mallaig and get the ferry to Skye. We’ll be touring the Cullin and hope to take a boat trip to Loch Coruisk, visit Talisker bay etc . I’ve toured Skye before so won’t be heading to the Quirang or the North this time.

The plan is to do 5 days around this area then head to the Cairngorms for the last 5 days. I was contemplating visiting Lewis and Harris, but not sure if I can cram it all in. Are there any other places nearby I should be checking out? Heard good things about Torridon.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not recommendations, just some things to bear in mind.

Road miles in the north west are not like road miles elsewhere, don’t try and cover too much, or you’ll end up spending your whole time driving.

Lots of places, even more so on the islands, will be shut for the whole season, check before you go.

Don’t try and do too many islands either, as you won’t have long enough on each island to capture the atmosphere.

In terms of recommendations, I wouldn’t go to Harris in the winter, it’s a phenomenal place in the summer, when you can get out and explore all the wonderful beaches and awesome bike trails, but risky in winter. Lewis is bleak, and not particularly beautiful, an acquired taste IMHO. I’d be inclined to stick to Skye, mull and occasional jaunts to the summer isles etc.

There’s always next time for the rest.

NZCol

Applecross Inn, Poolewe etc all beautiful in winter. Agree on not going to islands at this point, v v bleak !

iainc

+1 on many places being shut. Highlands and islands are great but this is the bleak off season and a lot of the hostelry owners will be on holiday in the sun !

justatheory
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. We went to Skye last winter and it was very bleak and lots of places were shut, but we still really enjoyed it. We’ll give Harris a miss this time and stick to Skye and places on the mainland.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘West Coast of Scotland Motorhome Tour. Itinerary suggestions.’ is closed to new replies.