Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • west coast of scotland
  • petefromearth

me and my lady are doing a road trip up to scotland next week. no itinerary whatsoever at this stage apart from that we need to be in inverness on the friday….. followed by a beardy stagfest in pitlochry (insert manly stag noises here!!)

if the weather isn’t too ‘sideways rainy’ we’ll most likely be doing some camping, walking and cycling – cycle hire might be needed

the west coast appeals most as neither of us have been there. we’re keen to take in some breathtaking scenery and chill out

any cool music / food / sport things to recommend?

also any warnings about midges, rain, cold, bagpipes or other hazards that a couple of wimpy southerners might encounter would be greatly appreciated!

druidh
    Free Member

I’d head for Kyle, then up through Applecross, Torridon, Gairloch and Ullapool.

geoffj

Portnadoran Caravan & Camping site in Arisaig is great.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

go as far north as you can

midges aren’t out yet

taken 3 days a go

Sutherland Easter 09 -31

god i wish i didn’t have to come home 🙁

winstonsmith

i’d follow druidh’s plan

gusamc
    Free Member

with druid, camping at Applecross beach – Applecross/Torridon road

Sandwood Bay is pretty impressive (very top L), it’s a walk so picnic on rocks step into sea – can camp there also – no facilities

We drove most of the West Coast last year – truly breathtaking

Get the OS maps and loop round the old coast roads – we did, also along top (of Scotland)road – Tongue, etc awesome beaches. On other side Stacks of Duncansbay are worth a wander.

If you want white sand do the Western Isles – Harris&Lewis.

Accom – Garvault Inn (probably most remote in Scotland) plus there is a bike trail I want to do that ends near it. It’s a fishing inn – but deer in garden etc, it’s basic but they did good/plenty nosh and as gf is gluten free I was impressed with gluten free muesili at brekkie – nearest shop is about 40 miles and no other bugger was going to eat it ….

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

Applecross, Gairloch, Torridon, Ardnamurchan, Loch Awe, Kinlochleven, Plockton, Portnalong on Skye…all worth a visit in my book.

petefromearth

cool thanks for the tips folks. can’t wait to get up there!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Like everybody else sais, also get yourself the Scotland The Best Book. We used when we went to Applecross and Gairloch and it was very helpful.

kennyp
    Free Member

What Druidh said, and the midges won’t be out for over a month yet.

kennyp
    Free Member

As regards sport, try and take in a shinty match. It’s like hockey with no rules and total violence and whisky.

bengbong
    Free Member

No one has mentioned arisaig, morar and as my kids play shinty and I am training to be a coach I really should dispute claims above! But i can,t its a fantastic game, scotlands real national game!

markenduro
    Free Member

If you are going near gairloch can also recommend badachro, worth a scramble up to the fairy lochs to see the wreckage of the ww2 liberator bomber which went down with the loss of all the crew, really eerie place with a prop sticking out me the water and bits of landing gear and aluminium strewn everywhere.

druidh
    Free Member

markenduro – Member

If you are going near gairloch can also recommend badachro, worth a scramble up to the fairy lochs to see the wreckage of the ww2 liberator bomber which went down with the loss of all the crew, really eerie place with a prop sticking out me the water and bits of landing gear and aluminium strewn everywhere.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I’d head for Kyle, then up through Applecross, Torridon, Gairloch and Ullapool.

see that? that’s good advice that is.
    stop for scoff in the applecross inn as well, but there’s plenty good food in the area

coffeeking
    Free Member

Can’t imagine you’d be upset with any of it.

I’d like to get further north next time too.

jimmy

tis all good. did similar last year, route was;

Skye – Applecross – Gairloch – Ullapool – Sandwood Bay – Thurso – Golspie – Aviemore

Some of the most stunning scenery ever. Food in Applecross Inn is good, but there’s also a decent menu in the hotel in Gairloch (opposite end of the bay to the campsite [which is also very decent]). We kinda wished we hadn’t scoffed out in Applecross at lunchtime :).

If you fish, there’s tonnes of Mackerel to be had off Ullapool harbour, thats if the seals don’t pinch it off your hook… Feckers! Oh, and the YH in Ullapool’s decent and overlooks the harbour. Nice place to stay (and cook mackerel).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘west coast of scotland’ is closed to new replies.