Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)
  • We're opening a new shop – tell us about the services and products you want?
  • barnsleymitch
    Free Member

There's a chap on this forum who's apparently good at 'tuning' frames! – how about employing him?

AdamW
    Free Member

For further down the road when you're rich and successful:

I'd love my LBS to work with the CTC to provide an evening course once in a while where you could learn to do stuff on your bike. Or charge a fee for use of the workshop (with a decent deposit for broken bits)!

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Secure customer bike parking and access for bikes through the shop to the workshop is a good one. Those two really used to annoy me when I <cough> used to actually shop at a shop </cough>

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Offer a "free bike check" kinda lie quickfits "free brake check"

customer wheels BSO in

You check it, determine all the crap thats wrong, and then charge to fix it. Youd spend all day fiddlign with BSO's but itd sort out all the brakeless wonders chained up outside the coop.

mccett
    Free Member

Dont open on Sundays. Sunday is for riding. Anyone who wants a decent bike shop as above should realise this.

I used to work in a large independent shop. It closed Sundays and Mondays. When it opened every day, you just took the same amount through the till over more days and pissed off all the staff who used to enjoy riding/racing at weekend.

If people know you're closed, they will come when you're open.

Good luck.

lunge

mccett, I’m not sure I agree. I know Sundays is for riding, that is why when I realise I have no brake pads left at 9am Sunday morning I want to be able to get hold of some. I know you would rather be riding during the day Sunday but as a shop, if people want to spend money at this time, you have to be open. Even a half day Sunday, say 9am until 12pm would be fine, just enough time for those who are riding to dive in, get what they need and get out whilst still letting the staff have the afternoon off.

mike_check
    Free Member

Good displays. Not just the branded cabinets with the Hope range, but for things like stems, saddles, grips etc, nothing worse than goin in looking for something and wanting to look at your options and you end up standing around trying not to get in the way while they cart things about from the back of the shop! Display prices of all displayed items!

Good luck!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ditto, if a shop isnt open Sunday (or whichever day I want a part) I'll jost go on CRC and get it the next morning (or Tuesday in the case of Sundays)

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

thread stop compound [ see halfrauds thread ]

thomthumb
    Free Member

be honest with your customers. the reasons i no longer use local bike shops is the lies that i got told over ordering rims.

"we will find out and call you back this afternoon" repeatedly

"none in the country trying to source form the eu"

then how come somone else bought them from the uk dist and got them to me that week. they obviously never heard of the internet!

mccett
    Free Member

Maybe, i only have experience of the shop i used to work in (now a roadie bling haven for toffs in South Manchester) and my current Lbs where all the decent staff from previous shop went to work once they got sick of the way said roadie shop was run.

I know that all the mtb customers from first shop all now go to my lbs and are quite happy its shut on sunday. Maybe they are just more prepared and check their pads the night before! 🙂

Plus you will have enough late nights and other stuff to be doing getting it up and running, give yourself a day off dude.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Open sesnible hours that suit your customers, not those that suit the general shop hours – what use is a shop that closes at 17:30 when most people are finishing work around then, maybe try 11:00 to 19:00?

If you say a job will take 3 days make sure it takes 3 days and the bike is ready to be collected when agreed, if not let the customer know at least a day before hand.

If you say you're going to check something and don't, ensure you tell the customer you didn't and give a valid reason.

Think about the layout and lighting (effective merchandising) as most LBS's are pretty dark inside, not clever if you're trying to sell things.

If you have the capability get a little online shop going.

Stock low end parts for everyday people who want their work bike sorting quick, not just good quality MTB stuff.

Put a track pump on a chain outside the door, fekkin great idea for commuters.

If you open on Saturday close on wednesday, or you'll never have enought time to yourself.

allyharp

Know your local area well to give riding tips. And stock maps!
    If there aren't many clubs nearby think about arranging some shop rides.
    Think about arranging a demo day once/twice a year and try and entice your suppliers to bring along multiple demo bikes.

mcboo
    Free Member

All of the above but most importantly, have some decent stock and be nice. I had one too many "big-I-am" comments from a guy in my LBS, I just stopped bothering. Went back a few weeks ago, he'd gone, had a nice chat with another fella and what do you know, I'm a customer again.

crikey
    Free Member

Decide how you are going to make money.
    Selling loads of stuff at keen prices? you need a web site, but you're up against CRC and Wiggle.

Think about the relationships that you need to develop with your customers; I've got at least 30 decent bike shops within 30 miles of my house, what makes me spend money in the ones I spend in?

The nearest is well stocked, has a web/mail order side, has extremely knowledgable staff, ones a world champ… but it's not my first choice.

My first choice is a 30 mile round trip, no web presence to speak of, no world champs, yet I'd go there and pay more for something rather than use the web.

The second shop also led, indirectly, to me leaving home for a short while… long story, lady involved, need to know basis…

But I went and dropped £2000 on a road bike there without a problem, and my mates now go even though it's farther for them than me…

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Service & repair Zocchi forks. You will make a killing as you know thay ALWAYS break!! 😉

project
    Free Member

Smile anmd have a joke.

Look as if you actually ride a bike,

takisawa2

Stock a few things like Irons, Hairdryers, Vacum Cleaners etc, for when the Wife comes in with me.

ourmaninthenorth

A sofa.

Transparent pricing – displayed price lists are good for this.

Open for 2 hours on Sunday morning (9-11) to capture those who have forgotten to buy brake pads, lube, tubes, whatever the day before.

Evening activities – say, showing an MTB film – every month.

Deciding who your market is.

ampthill

First off excellent question.

What I'd like is to know where I stand on help with a build and how you feel about fitting parts else where, new or second hand.

I'm not expecting charity I'm looking for a service I pay for. But I'm also not looking for sulky looks. The reality is lots of your customers will by online for less. You might as well get the trade fitting
    stuff. Servicing is hardest for online to compete on so push that

A leaflet on your service suff would be great. Perhaps with prices to do jobs, like fitting forks, but different prices for forks sold by you and prices forks supplied by the customer

You might put together some service packages. eg All new cables, wheel check etc for a flat fee. This is common in American shops

Spell out what your providing when you sell a bike.

Buy here and get say sizing help, swap of saddle stem etc. on difference in cost, service after 6 weeks. Point out that you don'get this online

Having moved to an area that is inundated with shops, 3 within a mile here's some advice.

Follow up requests…… i.e. Can you get a ………? How much will it cost? Call the customer back. I have never returned to a shop who sait they'll look into something and never did. The shop that did, got my business.

Remember to tell the customer what you can order in. You may not stock an "x" but can get it, let the customer know you can. If a customer "orders an item" get them to pay in advance, but give them a discount. You have a guarenteed sale with no "in stock cost". Your margin can take a small cut.

Remember one upset customer will tell more people than a happy one. Imagine you are on the other side of the counter. Look after your staff, pay, product and training. Sell them stuff at cost it's free advertising.

Build loyality by stocking what customers use, people will return if you stand and have a chat, don't be afraid to. Get out on the floor yourself, work it. Have a workshop that allows interaction.

j-claw
    Free Member

I think that spotlessly clean company vehicles & a neatly mowed lawn are essential.

Joking aside, you'll never compete with the big online guys on price, so make sure you offer the best service in the area. A good mechanic & an efficient workshop booking-in procedure with fast turn around is very important. If you have to order stuff in for people, make sure you do it quickly.
    If you offer good advice & can get things fast then customers will likely pay a little more to support their LBS, rather than go to CRC. There's nothing worse than waiting an age for something that could be delivered next day if you bought it elsewhere.

Good luck mate!

Trekster

Also if you have to order a part in know before you quote a timescale when its likely to be in. Otherwise your creating a false expectation which leaves the customer feeling let down when it hasn't arrived when you say it will. If its going to take 2 weeks to arrive then tell me, don't say it will be a couple of days and then act surprised when I'm annoyed its not in after 5 days

Might find either credit is maxed out or a min del charge on an amount £XXX will be a cause fro delivery delays 😕

to provide an evening course once in a while where you could learn to do stuff on your bike. Or charge a fee for use of the workshop (with a decent deposit for broken bits)!

2 of my lbs do this. G&G cyclecentre in town and Ae @ Ae!

Good displays. Not just the branded cabinets with the Hope range, but for things like stems, saddles, grips etc,

Likely to be dictated to by suppliers/manufacturers. They all have their own individual point of sale display systems.

Dont open on Sundays. Sunday is for riding

Open Sundays but have a club/ride from the shop organised if poss.

If you say a job will take 3 days make sure it takes 3 days and the bike is ready to be collected when agreed, if not let the customer know at least a day before hand.

So what about all those people coming in for advice, try stuff on, the takes 5mins, £5 punc fix, coffee, the phone calls, the e-mails, the ordering, the bike builds, the demos etc, etc.
    Some peole really have no idea……………………… 👿

Good luck guys 😀

I am sure you know that bling is good to look at but not a seller.
    How many Hope/CK headsets will you vs affordable Cane Creek for example.
    I reckon the bike industry is about to go the same way as the car industry, back to basics.

theboatman
    Free Member

Reciprocity – if I come in and I treat you with polite respect, just do the same. I don't need you to be my best mate, nor do I want to have to buy you biscuits so you don't look down your nose at me. I will buy unfashionable and non niche items alongside shiney things, and when doing this I would just like to be treated with some basic manners. Do this and you would find I am a repeat customer.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Always have the basics in stock. Set up your eftpos program to have a good re-order level for the obvious stuff… Tubes, patches, co2 carts, energy powders, energy gels.. and the obvious spare parts.. mech hangers for ALL the bikes you sell, bar tape, brake bleed kits, pads..
    All the stuff that someone will be frantically needing at the last minute you've got to have. These are the staples and the bits that folks will remember you for.
    Don't open Sunday, even for a couple of hours. Pissing off your staff to hang around in a mostly empty shop won't make you friends. Opening late one day a week will net you more money, and cost you less in staff time. If you do open late, post a big sign on the door so people know it.
    Advertise. I've worked in some very niche shops who expected people to just walk through the door. Make it directed so you don't waste money. Hitting large local employers with cycle scheme advertisements would be good. That's the kind of thing that generates repeat business and good word of mouth.
    After a year or 2 when old stuff starts to accumulate, be ruthless in clearing it out. Open an ebay shop. Don't let the old stuff use up the space you have, and if it ain't shifting then don't fret about selling it at a loss. If you don't sell it now, you'll only have to sell it at a greater loss later. Keep your stock as low as possible while retaining what you want to sell. That way you will stay profitable rather than getting drowned in stock.
    In servicing have a clear price structure, and make sure it reflects the real costs of doing a job. Produce service reports on jobs, noting parts that may be due for replacement, and make sure your eftpos program keeps a record of these. Never offer a discount on labour. It's the largest drain on your profit so sell it for what it's worth.

Irish_AL
    Free Member

honest
    dependable
    approachable
    product knowledge
    skiled mechanics

get that bit right and even if you are more expensive than online you will get me to part with my cash (and maybe beers at christmas time) 🙂

CountZero

Don't know what the problem with Sunday opening is. My LBS in Bath opens on Sunday nowadays, is always busy all day, right up to closing time at 4pm, Sean will then usually go for a ride with various customers, and he'll take a day off during the week and thrash the FoD or the Welsh trail centres, sometimes with customers testing bikes, sometimes testing bikes himself. There will usually be a couple of weekend staff in on Sunday as well. What's wrong with that set-up?
    Perfect way to operate a bike shop. I can pop in and borrow a bike for a day or so to test if I want, and that goes for other customers. John's Bikes in Bath is about as good a bike shop as you can get, IMHO, and sets the standard to follow.

stealthcat

Decent selection of women's kit – ideally not all in pale blue/pink, if you can find manufacturers who understand this concept.

Depending on where the shop is, maybe do 2 shifts on a Sunday and have a long lunchbreak, so that people who want to buy stuff on the way back from their rides can; obviously that depends on staff and trading laws, but it would be nice not to have to finish a ride early if I want to get to a bike shop on the way home.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Put on shop organised rides for customers. Our LBS runs a fast ride on Tuesdays, a beginner/intermediate ride on Wednesdays, semi- organised one on Sunday mornings and a road chain on Fridays. Numbers for Wednesdays can reach 50+ regularly and 10-20 on Tuesdays. Nearly all will use that shop when they need stuff and it creates a 'scene' locally. Also means you get to ride loads if you do the guiding. Minimal organisation required (just regular meet time and place). Gets new potential customers/beginners into riding too as they get to ride good trails with a group with the associated banter and technical backup from day one.

Works here anyway 🙂

crazy-legs

+1 for what bikewhisperer says ^^.

One more comment about stock – know exactly what you have in, whats on order and when it's due. Nothing looks more amateur than someone scrolling through a computer screen or a ledger then saying "yeah, we should have it" and going off on a fruitless hunt for 15 mins only to find it in the window display then not be able to find the box for it or the associated extras that it comes with (ie lights on display, where's the charger, manuals, mounts etc?)
    It comes down to being scrupulously, anally tidy about where you put things. Sort of efficiency OCD…

garage-dweller

Remeber it's a business first and foremost loving bikes and cycling makes it harder not easier. The more stock you have the more start up capital you have to find. Bling will turn slower than small consumables so your working capital is tied up for longer before it becomes cash. Cash pays the bills not profit. Basics right like workshop and spares

Forget the cappucino and cake unless you want to open a cafe.

richcc
    Free Member

Mystery shop a few well regarded LBS and get an impression on what it is they're doing well. Also, didn't notice it in posts above, do whatever is required to be a cycle to work scheme stockist. Then see if there's links to be made with large local employers- council, unis, hospitals etc. LBS near where I work does bike checks during 'travel to work' differently week and the like. You don't just need the right 'offer' you need to get the customers

Bumhands
    Free Member

I don't think you will have a good business model using the STW type as your target customer.

People that are really into there bikes and gear tend to know what they want, where to get it
    cheaply, quickly, and fit it themselves. Its impossible to stock all things for all people.

I think you would do better looking to the growing commuter crowds who would take a new
    rech mech, wheel or tyre at a good price and not care to much about the brand.

garage-dweller

basics = range of consumables, spares, knowledgeable staff, pricing and margins. service the community's need for bike caee too.

For some reason this wouldn't go in last post. Joys of a pda!

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Okay so here are my observations having worked and shopped in various bike shops over the years.

1. Pimpery is all very good but dont forget the basics, loose bearing nuts bolts that type of thing, as i recall i think Raleigh sell a good starter set for trade, these parts can be used on all types of bikes right from the bso up to the most niche of bikes.

2. Remember that bike repairs are one of the highest profit margin of anything else you do and that doenst include the parts that go with them. Dont turn your nose up at BSO's perhaps even offer a christmas assembly service at a set price.

3. 9-5 Forget it, you wont see many shoppers before 10 or even 11 most week days and youll see many more after 5 after they finish work.

Suggsey
    Free Member

For me a recent visit (and then repeated visits) to Coventry Cycle Centre on Far Gosford Street in Coventry encompasses what I like about a bike shop. Like a kid walking into a candy shop-a good wide selection of not just top end toys/parts but all the necessary bits and bobs even down to bulk bought chains not in boxes at a slightly reduced price. If it kit like that that a rider needs before the weekend or midweek ride and you have it a a near compettative price to the internet alot of people will buy from you and not bother going home logging on and waiting for two days or postponing that weekends ride.
    Folding tyres-so many shops seem to stock a limited amount of folding rubber, have as varied a range as possible from suppliers ie not the Standard Conti/Panaracer folders but perhaps some WTB/Maxxis and for all disciplines not just XC/commuting.
    The most important thing is great knowledgeable staff who are all riders/ex riders and who dont have an up their own arse attitude. If you can go take a look at the shop I have mentioned and see what you think.

bomberman
    Free Member

I suppose it all depends on your location and what kind of customers you want to attract but…

Know your sh*t

read the magazines and know what the current trends are. stock up on lots of Shimano stuff… and be prepared for lots of boring fixes like brake cables and gear alignments. And watch out for people who come in with worn drivetrains that don't work with new chains. the number of people who go into a bike shop with a broken chain and then complain when you tell them the whole drive train needs replacing… what do they expect? maybe offer a cheap "complete drivetrain replacement" package to suit people with no knowledge, and maybe an information leaflet explaining why they need to change their chain once in a while.

leffeboy

Don't try and compete with Wiggle and CRC but dont take the pi$$ with prices.

Couldn't agree more. No-one expects you to compete with the big boys.

Also, have the small stuff like individual chainring bolts – not just sets of 4/5/6 fancy ones. If we can trust you with the small stuff, we'll trust you with the bigger stuff.

We need to be able to trust you with our friends that don't know about bikes. I've sent 10 friends over the last few years to one particular shop because each time they have come out with exactly the right bike for them at the price that person could afford (IMHO) rather than a bike that was a little bit more than they could afford but was good for the shop. Sending my friends there reflects on me as well as you.

Finally – make a profit. We want you to be around rather than bitter and grumpy in 5 yrs. Profit isn't all bad and can mean a nicer shop for us to hang around in 🙂

spoon
    Free Member

somewhere to park you bike is a great idea. I used to cycle to the local bike store, then when I got there had to lean it up against a load of crap and have people squeeze past.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Hire serious riders who are passionate about the sport. Treat them well, help them feel like riders not shop assistants by ensuring they are immersed in the local riding scene at grass roots, not just the race scene.

The weekend is for riding. If you open on Sundays your staff will hate you and treat customers accordingly. You'll end up losing customers and staff. Have limited Saturday opening so you and your staff can get out and meet customers in their natural habitat or at least have some part timers who can cover saturdays – the real riders won't darken you door over the weekend.

Have demo days.

As others have said, have a good range of consumables. Stock some mainstream brand bikes but don't forget the niche stuff – people will come to your store just to look at a bike they haven't seen in the metal and will probably buy something.

Create a vibe, a good mood. Make sure it is relaxed. Have a sofa and some flat screens. Allow your staff the freedom to talk and relax with customers. Keep any admin or managerial staff off the shop floor – they kill the atmosphere of a bikeshop for the customer.

Never make a promise you cant keep. Don't order something and lie about the arrival date. The customer will not be back.

Hire the best mechanic around and treat him well – he will ensure a loyal customer base for service work.

Keep a good range of clothing and protection.

Sometimes it's worth having a superior product with an inferior margin rather than an inferior project with a better margin.

And forget coffee. Beer is where it's at.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘We're opening a new shop – tell us about the services and products you want?’ is closed to new replies.