Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • We're not THAT doomed! (Daily Wail content)
  • CountZero

I would suggest the people who are being sanctimonious, if you look up the meaning of the word, are those expressing an opinion on a mainstream media outlet – not those questioning their qualifications to do so. I personally think it is the sort of naïve gesture found in the JCR and frankly I grew out of those years ago.

If you want to hang out in an enclave of self-righteous bien pensant groupthink, who share an interest in bikes, then no doubt it is an action you would applaud – but whilst appreciating that STW has a predilection for niches – this ain’t one for me. A forum is at its best, in my view, when the participants are trusted to make up their own minds without commentary on sources from the site operators. By this action, STW have, arrogantly, in my view decided we should all be aware of what they think of a particular paper, do they think so little of their participants that they need this guidance? So all in all, it makes the site and the magazine less attractive to me and hence I will not renew – not because I want to make a pyrrhic gesture.

So stick that in your chapeau and fettle it.
    Well, that’s me told, then!
    FWIW, we’re being trusted to make up our own minds, by being given the option of clicking through with the link, but I guess you missed that bit.
    I, on the other hand, won’t miss you, not that your name has particularly registered with me over the ten years I’ve been on here, anyway.
    ‘Bye. (Waves)
    [edit] Oh, and using fancy terms like bien pensant just makes you look like you’re trying to be morally superior, however, using that term to describe the crowd on here just shows how little attention you’ve been paying, which probably accounts for why your username doesn’t ring much of a bell. To describe the STW bunch as being of a like mind on any subject just shows how daft you are.

bien pensant
    bien-pensant
    Etymology[edit]
    Borrowing from French bien pensant.
    Pronunciation[edit]
    IPA: /bj?? p??s??/
    Adjective[edit]
    bien pensant (comparative more bien pensant, superlative most bien pensant)
    Right-thinking, orthodox, conformist; conservative.
    Noun[edit]
    bien pensant (plural bien pensants)
    A person who is bien pensant.
    Someone who accepts and/or espouses a fashionable idea after it has been established and maintains it without a great amount of critical thought.

orthodox, conformist; conservative? STW? You are kidding, right?
    🙄

franksinatra

I assume the few who are shouting loud about this being wrong are quite stupid. That is the only reason that I can think of that could result in getting this so spectacularly wrong. STW are not banning you from reading the DM. They are merely making you click on another link, ie press the mouse button once more to access that page.

It is not enough of a deal to get animated over it. The irony is that it is exactly that sort of over the top anger that fuels the DM in the first place!

Try it, it is not difficult.

Daily Mail clicky of doom

Junkyard
    Free Member

in my view decided we should all be aware of what they think of a particular paper, do they think so little of their participants that they need this guidance

They told us what they think not what we could do and they told us why.
    you are free to ignore this, and they gave you a link to let you, or to leave as you see fit.

konabunny
    Free Member

A forum is at its best, in my view, when the participants are trusted to make up their own minds without commentary on sources from the site operators.

It’s little gems like that you’ll need for when you’re moderating your forum.

konabunny
    Free Member

PS linky, clicky, steed, fettle, chapeau, thread titles beginning “have we done…” that don’t identify the topic in the title GAHH!!!

Jamie
    Free Member

xxxxxxtrackworld. For example: socktrackworld, cheesetoastietrackworld, fingerupmybumtrackworld etc 😡

dirtyrider
    Free Member

i thought everyone went on the mails website for the slutty celeb gossip on Femail Today?

its like the brit version of TMZ or Perez

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘We're not THAT doomed! (Daily Wail content)’ is closed to new replies.