Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • We're not THAT doomed! (Daily Wail content)
  • slowoldgit
    Free Member

So I think the DM has consistently crawled under the fence dividing right-to-comment from protecting against deliberate and misleading bias.

Nice one Mark, you aren’t stopping anyone so there’s little room for objections. You could have reminded everyone about nice Mr Desmond’s company’s nocturnal activities, but you kept it clean.

badnewz
    Free Member

Does Richard Desmond own the Daily Mail? I thought he owned the Express?

miketually
    Free Member

Excellent move STW. Yet another reason to keep subscribing 🙂

I can recommend the Tea and Kittens browser extension for anyone wanting to avoid accidentally following links to the Daily Mail.

unklehomered
    Free Member

BRAVO Singeltrack Towers!!!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I wonder if the DM know, or even care, about STW’s stance? Maybe we mountain bikets are next for some DM vitriol?

crazy-legs

I wonder if the DM know, or even care, about STW’s stance? Maybe we mountain bikets are next for some DM vitriol?

We probably cause cancer. Or maybe we reduce the house prices when we ride past.

😉

ohnohesback
    Free Member

No, we ruin crops and frighten livestock, which raises food prices for hard-working families. And it was a mountain biker wot dun for Princess Di…

Cougar

Bear in mind that there’s nothing to stop you a) clicking through on the second page or b) copy and pasting the link if you want to read it that badly. It’s hardly censorship, just a means of reducing the likelihood of STW appearing in the DM’s referrer logs.

Will someone please explain the nofollow bit to this numpty?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nofollow

muddy@rseguy

Well, I am all for free speech and free expression and non-censorship, however, I fully agree with Singletrack on this one ( STW aren’t censoring, just reminding everyone of how vile the Daily Mail is)

Well done guys, consider next years subscription renewal as a given 8)

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

We need more people to post on this thread. I’m trying to work out the correlation between those that need someone to decide whether or not they want to click on a web link and those that need told a clean shirt daily is a good idea.

What happened to Druid? Sure he’d have an opinion?… 😆

yunki
    Free Member

I love it

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’m not a Daily Mail fan but I’m not a fan of this sort of indirect censorship either. I can’t help but feel a line has been crossed.

Mleh its not really censorship and I wager there are a large number of sites that i would get into trouble for linking to and I could see why they do it
    TBH The daily mails business model is to have storied outraged folk read to tut at so they can say they are the most popular website so I can see why they would

‘m trying to work out the correlation between those that need someone to decide whether or not they want to click on a web link and those that need told a clean shirt daily is a good idea.

Make more senses to do it with how many times do you wash your hands 😉

I found it weird that not changing your shirt every day equalled minging and personal hygiene issue but bedsheets were just to be changed weekly. Perhaps they dont get any because it is too dirty 😉

unklehomered
    Free Member

We need more people to post on this thread. I’m trying to work out the correlation between those that need someone to decide whether or not they want to click on a web link and those that need told a clean shirt daily is a good idea.

Or those relaxed enough to realise they can still click on it if they want to, but the site owner don’t wish to be connected, and the sky doesn’t fall in if they put a perfectly fine shirt on again for a second period of sitting doing naff all… 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

How come so many Daily Wail haters click on the website anyway? The number of “have you seen the latest crap published on the wail” STW threads is really very amusing. Why not simply ignore it for the nonsense that it is? Or deep down, is there some secret pleasure hidden down there that people are scared to admit to?

The only times I have ever clicked on the Wail is in response to threads here to see just what the fuss is about! Then the dismay sets it that this is the most widely read “news” (sic) website!!!

unklehomered
    Free Member

If someone puts ‘clicky’ I don’t always think to hover and check the link. Also, I’m a bit fascinated by what the other half think. Car crash viewing I suppose. Plus as someone who’s for freedom of speech I like to hear what the crazies are spounting, so I can consider the argument. I’d click, but I know they make a lot of money from their website, so now I don’t as that is not something I wish to assist in.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Why not simply ignore it for the nonsense that it is?

For the triumph of evil all that is necessary is that good people do nothing
    Should I ignore UKIP, the BNP? Hatred? etc

Or deep down, is there some secret pleasure hidden down there that people are scared to admit to?

Worst troll ever 🙄 though you did show your hidden pleasure for us all

edlong
    Free Member

WTF with the “censorship” comments?

For those who think that a commercial website declining to host direct links to another commercial website whose editorial policies it disagrees with is censoring anything, or preventing you exercising your free will, human rights or whatever, you need to get out more.

Out as in, travel the world a bit. If you don’t have the time, money or inclination to travel a bit, maybe use your pretty much unfettered access to the internet (or if you don’t have that, try a local library) to read up a bit on censorship. Read a bit about the history of censorship, or maybe look at what the situation’s like in other parts of the world, right now, today.

Then come back here and tell us how you having to copy and paste into an address bar, or just clicking through, is censorship.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

ooops, wrong again, only the express, star OK and channel 5.

Sometimes I can nearly remember what it was like to have a memory.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

How come so many Daily Wail haters click on the website anyway

It’s a good point. The only time I have ever found myself on the DM site is via a link on this forum. I have never even stumbled on it from a google search. So how are all those who regularly go on about how awful it is, which of course it is, finding themselves on there so often?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

JY – worst troll ever? Where does that come from? FI makes the same point. Is he/she also a troll?

I have guilty pleasures but fortunately reading the wail is not one of them. I see no harm in it existing or being read – that’s individual choice – but have no interest personally. But to make a thing of regularly reading it and then moaning about it just seems odd IMO. It’s like abusing STW and setting up a rival and then constantly wanting to still play here. What is the point?

mefty
    Free Member

I don’t come on this website for “moral” (as if) guidance from people who are ill qualified to provide it. It stinks and is remarkably arrogant so I won’t be renewing my subscription.

MrsToast
    Free Member

<3 STW

grum
    Free Member

I see no harm in it existing or being read

Yes, apart from the fear/hate-mongering, and the perpetuating of prejudice it does no harm at all. 😕

Or is just that you have some sympathy for the mail’s political views, but don’t have the conviction to admit it?

pingu66
    Free Member

When will this reach the Daily Wail so they can post a hate filled article about STW censorship and all cyclists attitudes to “the free press”

Cougar

It stinks and is remarkably arrogant

Really? I thought it was largely hilarious.

badnewz
    Free Member

Something tells me this is going to be a long thread:-

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

very nicely put, edlong. They are not stopping you from reading the DM, they are making a point that they dont want the site THEY OWN to drive traffic to a site they disagree with, for wholly positive reasons.

Chapeau to STW.

How come so many Daily Wail haters click on the website anyway

Pretty much every colleague of mine reads it at work when they have downtime so I am exposed to its content on a daily basis. Sadly most if its readers dont get the glaring irony of “Paedo Hell” articles next to photos of semi-clad/under age girls

I actually think the journos and editors are intelligent and “in on the joke”. I’m sure they were intelligent enough to know the Brass Eye Paedogeddon show satirised media hysteria rather than paedophilia itself; their rabid response was almost a nod-and-a-wink to Chris Morris. Problem is, most of their readers arent in on the irony.

It is the most visited newspaper website in the world 🙄 😕

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16746785

Jamie
    Free Member

I think I am going to have to file ”chapeau’, along with ‘fettling’, into my list of words that really get on my tits for no good reason.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Jamie, get one of your steeds out of your stable (or quiver) and go ride 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

JY – worst troll ever? Where does that come from?

I assumed you were writing that to simply get a rise/have a dig as it was a less than erudite post/point and i doubt anyone bright thinks that is the reason.

I see no harm in it existing or being read

Really ? I see quite a bit of harm with its hate filled intolerant agenda of half truths and scaremongering. I dont seem to be alone in this

But to make a thing of regularly reading it and then moaning about it just seems odd IMO.

Straw man folk comment on certain stories related here. I dont think anyone here has , as yet, admitted to actually reading it in general.
    In order to fight it you may need to have an idea of what it says. I read the UKIP manifesto and the BNP one but I did not expect to enjoy either but I prefer to attack from a point of informed rather than from a point of ignorance.

It’s like abusing STW and setting up a rival and then constantly wanting to still play here. What is the point?

Its nothing like that its like saying that Daily mail is full of shit look at this ridiculous argument they are pedalling now , can we collectively tut at it please

Granted it may make little sense and not impact on the mail beyond positively giving it hits hence I think STW have made a fine decision

Chapeau to their fettling I say

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie, get one of your steeds out of your stable (or quiver) and go ride

I sense a game of STW Bullshit Bingo is afoot!

noteeth
    Free Member

Well done STW.

It stinks and is remarkably arrogant

This just makes it funnier.

sbob
    Free Member

mefty – Member

I don’t come on this website for “moral” (as if) guidance from people who are ill qualified to provide it. It stinks and is remarkably arrogant so I won’t be renewing my subscription.

Get over yourself.

To maintain balance I will be subscribing for the first time. 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, I for one am glad they’ve ringfenced the unicorn.

CountZero

Woah, sanctimonious, much? Hope the view’s nice from the moral high ground that you’ve staked a claim on!
    And don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
    Missing you already… 😉

pingu66
    Free Member

Confession

My GF reads the Mail.

I loathe it more with each article she recounts to me.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

(Nice one Grum, almost polite. But your are wrong with the insinuation as per….)

Well if people get pleasue out of “collective tutting” so be it. The Wail is a rag dressed up as a paper but that doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t be allowed. If people want to read it (or any other rags BS) then so be it. More fool them. But telling adults what they can and can’t read (not suggesting that this is STW’s intention BTW) is more than a little, what’s the word, patronising isnt it?

Junkyard
    Free Member

i defer to your expertise in the patronising stakes 😉

mefty
    Free Member

Really? I thought it was largely hilarious.

It is hardly surprisingly that someone who is appointed as a moderator shares some values with the operators of the site is it?

Woah, sanctimonious, much?

I would suggest the people who are being sanctimonious, if you look up the meaning of the word, are those expressing an opinion on a mainstream media outlet – not those questioning their qualifications to do so. I personally think it is the sort of naïve gesture found in the JCR and frankly I grew out of those years ago.

If you want to hang out in an enclave of self-righteous bien pensant groupthink, who share an interest in bikes, then no doubt it is an action you would applaud – but whilst appreciating that STW has a predilection for niches – this ain’t one for me. A forum is at its best, in my view, when the participants are trusted to make up their own minds without commentary on sources from the site operators. By this action, STW have, arrogantly, in my view decided we should all be aware of what they think of a particular paper, do they think so little of their participants that they need this guidance? So all in all, it makes the site and the magazine less attractive to me and hence I will not renew – not because I want to make a pyrrhic gesture.

So stick that in your chapeau and fettle it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘We're not THAT doomed! (Daily Wail content)’ is closed to new replies.