• This topic has 26 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by flip.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Were any of your jobs really easy to come by?
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

How many interviews did you have before you got an offer?

Did you even have an interview?

How long was it from first hearing about the job until you got an offer letter?

Was this “easy to come by” job a good job for you?

What was the pay like compared to other jobs you had?

Were all the jobs you got which had really tough interviews, worth the bother?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Funny enough… I think I have been offered a job from every interview I have done! I had one withdrawn though (post Uni, my grades were lower than expected so the offer of a graduate training placement was withdrawn).

Didn’t have an interview for the current job (been doing it for 6 years almost now), but I work with my Dad so it wasn’t an issue! The pay is somewhat less than I used to get in IT mind, but hey… no worries!

Never found an interview tough – but that must by my boyish charm and rakish good looks that won them over 😉

Kuco

My current job from sending application to starting took 3 months.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I’ve only had 3 jobs but I’ve pretty much just walked in each time – the last I was head hunted.

Admittedly the bar was quite low on the Soreen factory…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Did you even have an interview?

Nope, just a phone call was enough.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Never had an interview…..

Garry_Lager

The interview process for my job was easy in that I was the only appointable person from a shortlist of about six.

Getting to the position where you’re that person though – v tough! and also v lucky that no one else appointable was in phase with me looking for a job.

sharki
    Free Member

Sod that malarky!

Hairychested
    Free Member

My wife sent 3 CV’s to creches and got 2 offers within 24 hrs. She’s loving the job she chose.

xiphon
    Free Member

Job prior to this was done on 100% recommendation. I was just replacing a friend.

Quick phone call from the new boss, and started the Monday after my notice period.

clubber
    Free Member

How many interviews did you have before you got an offer?

1 or 2 – the two most recent, got offered at the first interview

within a week of being told I was going to be offered the job.

Was this “easy to come by” job a good job for you?

Yes though ‘easy’ is hard to define. Not many interviews but fairly probing(!) ones.

What was the pay like compared to other jobs you had?

Same.

Were all the jobs you got which had really tough interviews, worth the bother?

No real difference. Don’t mistake the interview process as having any real bearing on what the job’s like. IME a lot of people do interviews with no training on how to conduct them so some are tougher/easier/more in depth than others with no relation to how good the job is.

brakes
    Free Member

2 interviews and three phone calls; 4 months from 1st interview to starting.
    I hate interviews, but the rewards are worth it.

1st job when I was 17 – rang a local electrician up and started the next day. 22 years later I set up my own company. That’s my lot

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve been head hunted a couple of times, interviews were merely to complete the formal process. One of them was in a pub.
    I’ve had some really easy interviews too, been offered a job at one immediately, with another the agency had been on the phone with the offer before I got home from it.

I’ve had some monsters too. Public sector interviews can be insane, three or four interviews, months of waiting. Ridiculous and such a waste of time and money for everyone involved.

With my current job I was head hunted but still had to go through the formal process all official like. When the offer was made to me they asked me how much I wanted so I said a figure (couple of grand more than I was earning) and without even checking they agreed to it immediately. DOH! Lesson learned there.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Haven’t had to do an interview in about 7 or 8 years, It was 1 month between being offered this job (3 years and counting) and starting and that was to do with notice period on the previous job. They tracked me down on the basis of a recommendation from a former colleague so no interview required. Same with previous few jobs.

If you are good at what you do, you get to interview the companies rather than the other way round.

donsimon
    Free Member

Last job in the UK as a Sales Engineer was a 20 minute interview and an offer, more a formality than anything.
    Current job was a 15 minute interview and a short, very short, test and an immediate offer.

If you are good at what you do, you get to interview the companies rather than the other way round.

+1 and everyone should be interviewing the companies rather than accepting the first crappy offer that comes along, recessions and desperation excluded.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m a stay at home Dad.. I was headhunted several times before I arrived at my current position..

Torminalis
    Free Member

Of course there are loads of people out there who are very good but cannot find work simply because there are not enough jobs, I am sure it would be different in the current climate. Hopefully I won’t have to find out…

edd

My first proper job was offered to me in the pub after a mountain bike ride – thanks Andy!

I was advised to apply to my current job by a guest when I was guiding for Bike Verbier last summer. I had one telephone interview then a face to face interview and got the job.

Edukator
    Free Member

Cycling through the Medoc I asked a guy on a tractor if he needed anymore grape pickers. He said yes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Previous job – One five minute chat. Was then promoted after a matter of a few days
    Current job – Five months of interviews/presentations etc. Worth every second, though! 8)

4ndyB
    Free Member

Current job: walked into my LBS & they asked if I’d like a job. A couple of 5 minute chats to confirm T&C & jobs’ a good’un

Last job: been on the Dole for a month or so, a friend (works in e-commerce) was going over my CV with me, he emailed it to one of his clients, who rang me less than 24hrs later to ask if I’d like an interview. A 15 minute interview followed by a factory tour of the machinery and a few Q&A’s later & I had the job

Previous job: Knew one of the spanner monkey’s in the workshop, the Gaffer called me asking if I wanted an interview, I did. Turned up, had a 10 min chat and built a BSO from the box, job was mine.

Previous job: Walked into it, well sort of…. Went for lunch from a co. across the road I was working for, walked into the office and enquired about work, had an interview there and then (15 mins) plus factory tour, got the call 2 days later to start the next Monday

Previous job: Started as a temp & was taken on full time after 3 months

Anything before that is 15 years ago, so without digging my CV out it’s a bit of a haze.

I seem to either be very lucky, or damn good at (sometimes quite literally) walking into a job.

alexpalacefan

I was once got a job as a project officer from my mates boyfriend. I met him in a night club.

APF

user-removed
    Free Member

My whole life is a series of high pressure interviews – I’m a self-employed wedding photographer. Every single time I go out to see prospective clients, I’m in an interview situation.

90% of them book, based soley (I think) on the fact that I don’t have two heads… And I reckon I take a decent picture, which helps 🙂

Fabulous Photographer: Emerson Photography

*shameless self promotion – sorry mods*

trail_rat
    Free Member

went to a shop when i moved to aberdeen – said im looking for a job

got an interview arranged for the monday

sunday night – the manager phoned, said no interview needed just rock up when you can start – i know who you are and i know you know your shit
    lasted 3 months – but he didnt have to invest any money in me and i got his job list down to nothing.

my current job- 150 applications out to all manor of work in an entirely different field – one reply and 1 interview and 1 job – from 2000 applicants – graduate scheme in the midst of recession

since ive been here (18 months) ive been head hunted twice externally and had one guy try and poach me internally for a different department

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

friend emailed me out of the blue saying his compnay needed someone new. chatted to the owner for 20 mins, and a month later i was in the alps… 4 months later i’m running a large part of the business, and will be a shareholder soon.

no complaints (although it cost me a fantastic GF 🙁 )

flip
    Free Member

Cycling through the Medoc I asked a guy on a tractor if he needed anymore grape pickers. He said yes.

I’ve done that too, was in Provence though.

Literally walked into my first job at 18 as a trainee, i had a 5min interview, worked there twice (a break of 5 yrs for travel) 20yrs after took vol. redundancy now work for myself 😉

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Were any of your jobs really easy to come by?’ is closed to new replies.