Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • We're after apprentice engineers – Electricity Distribution Yorks/NorthEast
  • igm

http://www.northernpowergrid.com/careers

As part of Northern Powergrid’s Workforce Renewal recruitment strategy for 2012, we are advertising for entrants with two ‘A’ level or equivalent qualifications to join our Higher Apprenticeship programme (entry criteria below).

The three-year programme will include a two-year part-time study based Foundation Degree in Electrical Power Engineering, arranged and financed through Northern Powergrid.

The programme will also provide a solid grounding in the craft trades followed by a number of engineering placements around the business, culminating in a final placement within an engineering section of Northern Powergrid.

This opportunity is unique in terms of how we have recruited in recent years and offers an excellent opportunity for the right individuals. We will be advertising internally on the grid and externally through online media; more information regarding the vacancy is now available on the careers pages of our website.

This is an excellent opportunity to encourage your friends and family to participate in the recruitment process to join our business.

The entry qualifications for this programme are provided below.

• 2 A-Levels / A2: Grades A* – C (1 must be in either Maths, Physics or Engineering)
    • BTEC National Certificate Level 3 in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Grade Merit or Distinction (it is essential that the Maths modules should be at Merit or Distinction)
    • Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Grade Merit or Distinction (it is essential that the Maths modules should be at Merit or Distinction)
    • ONC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Grade Merit or Distinction (it is essential that the Maths modules should be at Merit or Distinction)

To apply online, visit the ’Vacancies’ page in the ‘Apply Now’ section at http://www.northernpowergrid.com/careers. The closing date is Sunday 1 July 2012

igm

PS – mods if I’ve broken any posting rules please accept my apologies. Thought it was worth letting people know.

muckytee
    Free Member

Would a Btec level 3 in IT systems Support be accepted?

igm

Honest answer is firstly I don’t know as I’m not running the process personally, and secondly it will depend to some extent on the qualifications of other applicants.

Electrical & electronic is going to be a better fit, and if we get a lot of those then you would be at an initial disadvantage, but if you can demonstrate that you have an interest in what we do then you might well be in with a shout. You would definitely need to show competence in Maths.

It’s not a million miles from what we’re asking for (ie its not media studies) and if you don’t apply then you definitely won’t get it.

The question to ask yourself, and do the research to answer, is do you want the job and why do you want the job?

muckytee
    Free Member

The question to ask yourself, and do the research to answer, is do you want the job and why do you want the job?

Well that’s a bit of a tough one – not just for this but for other places I have applied, since apart from their websites I can’t get any more information about a placement, what it involves and whether it is for me.

I don’t want a repeat of college where I have done IT and hated it. I now what I don’t like – offices, paper work, excel that sort of thing.

What do I like is taking stuff apart improving it and putting it back together again. I have done mechanical work; car, mtb, but no experience or knowledge about what an electrical engineering job will involve.

Cheers

igm

To begin with there will be a fair bit of taking stuff apart and putting it together – you just have to remember to switch it off first. But it’s an apprentice engineer not a craft apprentice so you would be moving on to project management, safety management, a bit of site supervision. The role is probably aimed at producing field engineers but that doesn’t stop you becoming MD if you want it enough and you’re good enough.

It’s not the guys you see in Northern Powergrid vans – it’s the guys in the Focus or Astra parked beside the van we’re talking about.

Check the website. On the meet our people bit it’s most like Rod Gardner, albeit he’s moved a long way onwards and upwards since he started.

The higher apprentice is halfway between craft apprentice and trainee engineer in skills terms – effectively we’re trying it grow our own trainee engineers internally.

project
    Free Member

Great to see a company recruiting young trainees,

any age limit,

igm

Not that I know of. And no assumptions on sex, creed, colour or the like either. Nor even whether they ride fat or skinny tyres.

Can they do the job, some industry awareness, do they fit with our values (they’re published on the website if you want to know what they are), do they want the job and why is what we’ll be looking at.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

igm – serious question. Do you know if there is anything like this happening elsewhere ? I’m in the North West otherwise I’d be jumping on this. A bit *cough* older than A level age, but have relevant background training and qualifications. Currently stuck doing IT work, but would like to return to doing electrical work, BUT, I’ve always found it very hard to ge a foot in the door, as an older guy with no experience.

Any tips ?

igm

ygm

igm

Bumped for the evening crowd

Onzadog
    Free Member

You’re just after more mountain bikers for the Tuesday evening ride. 😉

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Igm, ygm, tyvm, ttfn. X

peteroughton169
    Free Member

hi there, ime currently an le1 linesman in the northeast, working on the lv network, just wondered how appropriate this position would be and what kind of a salary does it offer? always looking at ways to better myself and continue learning, plus i dont really want to be a pole monkey all my working life!!

igm

As per the ad on the website starting salary would be around £17k which seems OK for a post where your being paid through college.
    It would lead to an engineers post which is very reasonably paid and pretty secure.
    And yes it is the kind of post a linesman looking to get on might apply for – we’d have to feel you could do the academic end of it though.

grtdkad

Bump

iain1775
    Free Member

peteroughton169
    Email me if you fancy moving up to the big stuff – 132-400kV steel tower stuff
    Company (contractor) I work for have loads of vacancies also, from linespeople to Engineers, SAP’s etc
    Working all over including in your patch for NPG

peteroughton169
    Free Member

Iain1775, i went from the big stuff to the small.stuff to get my family life back! Did 6 yrs on 275 and 400kv, was working down pembroke for 2 years rebuilding towers with cranes, was good but too far from home. Been all over eally, heysham, cornwall, deeside, iron acton, aylesbury, chesterfield. I miss the towers but not working away. Really enjoying the lv stuff at the mo, everyday is different, rather than spending everyday blocking or changing tons of rusty steel! I miss platforms though, that was fun.

igm

Peteroughton169 – just realised that I assumed you are a linesman with a contractor. If you’re actually already with Northern Powergrid just get on to your boss about doing the ONC/HNC/HND (as appropriate, depending on what you’ve already got). You get to keep your current income and get the qualification you need to move on up into the engineering role – which is probably more attractive if you’re internal.

Iain1775 – is it Balfours you’re with then?

iain1775
    Free Member

igm, it’s not the lot I’ve just realised Peter used to work for so yes! (sorry to highjack the thread but we are all desperate for decent people at the moment!)
    I was on same job in Pembroke as an Engineer briefly during my previous employment, office based now although I still get to occasionally
    small world

peteroughton169
    Free Member

Ime with ius.at the mo, was with amec on the towers (alliance west), would this position still be possible through ius on my current salary, or is it just through npg itself? At present i do have an hnd and 3 a levels as well as nvq 2+3 in electrical system technology engineering (tower work basically!) My hnd is in arboriculture, but its a level of education i presume?

igm

I’d talk to your boss (or their boss or HR if needs be) about an electrical ONC or HNC. It’s likely to be the most cost effective route for you – then just apply for the engineers posts down the line. There will be plenty – the industry is crying out for staff and will be for the next ten years.

Iain – very office based personally. Spent more time in the states than on site over the last 5 years, and more time with the regulator in London in the last month than on site in those same 5 years. Not better or worse, but you down need a certain resilience to survive office based life. A lot of folk can’t hack it. Site life is more immediate but generally more straight forward (IMHO of course).

iain1775
    Free Member

Peter if you dont have any luck then drop me your CV, we may have something that still gets you home (most) nights
    I would hope though that NPG and IUS can talk, given they are all the same big group and doing the same work, in the same region 😉

Brycey
    Free Member

Sorry to further hijack, but while we’re on the subject of electricity I’m after offshore wind turbine technicians. Rarely available off the shelf so industrial electricians, mechanical engineers/technicians, etc, all considered.

North Wales based but some flexible contracts available for those that live further afield.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘We're after apprentice engineers – Electricity Distribution Yorks/NorthEast’ is closed to new replies.