Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Wera Bike Check tool kit as reviewed in the latest mag
  • kermit
    Free Member

I read the review, and thought “ooh, that looks good”, not least because the Wera website also claims that you can use the ratchet with just 25mm of working space, which should enormously reduce the amount of time and finger pain currently involved in fixing and removing my Thule roofbars on my S-Max. It’s no fun getting to the trails with your fingers scrunched up like an octagenarian’s as a result of using the fiddly little allen key!

The problem came when I actually went to try and buy one! I can find loads of Wera tool kits on Amazon and elsewhere, but I can’t for the life of me find this particular one (or indeed any with hex keys of less than 3mm) anywhere! Has anyone looked for it and managed to find it?

I’ve been onto the Wera website as well, and have drawn a blank there too…

I started out thinking “that might be quite useful, I wonder if I can find it at a decent price”, and am now thinking “I have to have it if it’s the last thing I ever buy on this planet”!!! 😆

kermit
    Free Member

That was what I thought, but in the description it says “5x Hex-Plus bits 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, 8.0”, whereas the mag claimed (and it looks like it in the photos in the mag) that they start at 1.5mm.

I don’t think I actually have need of a 1.5mm hex key, but I’ve certainly got 2mm and/or 2.5mm on my HT.

nickc

yes, I see what you mean. 😕

perhaps it’s not released yet?

kermit
    Free Member

Hmm… Do the magazine bods tend to wander into the forum, or is an email to the editorial team a better bet, do we think?

nickc

email I would guess, jenn did the review

pirahna
    Free Member

It was in Fresh Goods Friday months ago, I thought they might have released it by now. I’ll email Wera to see what’s happening, I want one.

cheviots
    Free Member

I didn’t see it in Fresh Goods but Wera were doing a special bike friendly version of their Tool-Check Plus, but I think it was only available from bike/triathlon shows.

werablair
    Free Member

Hi Guys,
    I’m Mike from Wera Tools UK, Thanks for the interest in the product featured in Jenn’s review. I can speak as a multi bike cyclist and say it’s a ‘cover all bases kit’ that should work regardless of which bike, drivetrain, headset etc set up you have! At present this kit is still a market test kit and has been configured by my own fair hand in limited numbers and as some of you have pointed out, it’s based on the tool check plus concept. There will be however, a flash sale of the last few ‘handmade’ kits going live on sport pursuit this week so please check that out. We will hopefully be launching this kit as an official line later this year so it should be available through more channels! Hope this helps for now!!

riddoch

If it’s this one, http://www.sportpursuit.com/tool-check-bit-set-with-mini-ratchet, it’s sold out 🙁

drlex
    Free Member

Oh, ar$e grapes (if so)!
    Being subject to a daily SP email, they didn’t bother to publicise that last week; just the usual Euro-clobber.

Mike, if you read this, why not flog a few through STW?

RicB

I bought the little ratchet spanner and an assortment of bits from Amazon a few months ago- absolutely superb bit of kit. Makes working on the bike much easier, especially re threadlocked bolts and frame pivot bolts that are often tricky to get an Allen key to. Impressed with the quality- feels like it’ll last years

accu
    Free Member

it was fresh goods friday 230..
    was looking some time ago and couldn`t find it,
    I think the only difference to the standard tool set are the 1.5 , 2.0 and 2.5 hex bits…and the extra carry case which I don´t need
    the only way seems to make my own “handmade” kit
    while buying the hex bits extra and replace the philips/posidrives bits..I just need one philips for adjusting the rear mech..

riddoch

Wera had them on their stand at the London bike show back in February, they had a few posts about them on their Facebook page.
    I had been keeping an eye out for them and got all excited with the review this month mag.

werablair
    Free Member

The SP sale didn’t make it this side of the weekend! Hang in there guys…. This week it will happen!!

nickc

thanks werablair, appreciate the help.

werablair
    Free Member

Hi guys

Sorry for the delay but I can now confirm that the kit WILL be on sale via sport pursuit on Friday!

Enjoy.

Mike

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s already on!

richen987
    Free Member

do you have a link, can’t see them

richen987
    Free Member

much appreciated

dbcooper
    Free Member

Isn’t sport pursuit a load of old crap though? They normally never have stock? Can’t you just sell this stuff normally instead of using some wierd catologue company?

wrecker
    Free Member

There are a few sets. Search by sport, select mountain biking and they all appear (or did yesterday)

hilldodger
    Free Member

How is that “bike specific” then?
    11 variations of x-head screwdriver bit, 7 sockets, numerous torx bits but only 5 hex bolt bits – looks to be less useful than the average £30 muti-tool to me…..

Ideal for all jobs on your bike but also great for auto maintenance, plumbing, air-conditioning & machine servicing, electronic & aerospace industries as well as many more.

…aaah I see, it’s just marketing ballcocks applied to a bog standard mini ratchtet set, go lap it up fanbois 😆

vinnyeh

I had a look at these, very confusing.
    -Limited Edition set doesn’t have the small hex bits refereed to above included in the listing
    – 38 Piece Tool Check set at the same price has 1.5 and 2.0 hex bits included as extra.
    – the set linked to above by Riddoch seems to now be in tock, but can’t be found on the site by browsing, just by following the link above, has 1.5, 2.0 and 2.5 hex bits but is £10 more than the other two sets.

And is this, on amazon the same as the 38 piece set on Sport Pursuit, just cheaper?

And who on earth thinks that a retail website without any search function is a good idea.

nickc

I think it’s a different model vinnyeh, this is the Bike Check Plus

It has (according to the STW review at least) smaller allen keys (1.5, 2 and 2.5mm) that the regular Bike check doesn’t have, and comes with a hany little extra carrier so you could spec your own mini tool to take with you.

werablair
    Free Member

Hi Guys

Sorry for the confusion. This is a stock image of the Tool Check Plus and NOT the bike check plus so the standard multiple PZ and PH bits are shown. If you refer to the ST Mag review by Jenn then you can see the config in all its glory. This is a kit that I personally hand built that isn’t commercially available outside of the last few kits on SP (at present) hence no images available and no official blurb! IIRC there are only 11 bits from the 30 in the BCP so 19 new bits are in there. 1.5 to 10mm Hex 3,4,5,and 6 mm Ball ended Hex, TX10 to 40 and 10 to 30 Ball ended and PH 1 and 2 for dérailleur Adjustment (OK I know it should be JIS not PH) the PZ 1 and 2 are for your DIY needs, Theres always a shelf to put up somewhere to hold Lube and WD40!

If it doesnt suit your needs once you have one, then blame me! 😉

Mike

riddoch

Just for info sportpursuit have a wera sale on that claims to have the bike check plus in it
    http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/weratools-nov15

spooky_b329

Sportspursuit, I’m not going to sign up just to browse the website…what a joke!

(On android, full size pop-up trying to force you to sign up and no option to dismiss it)

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s cheaper on amazon anyway.

andermt
    Free Member

It’s not on Amazon that I can see.

Discussion is on Bike Check Plus kit, Amazon has Tool check plus which is different. See comments from werablair above.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Most of that wera stuff can be bought cheaper online or in a local tool shop without the 6month wait.
    No one ever pays retail for tools. I was surprised the first time I went into a tool shop and they gave me 80% discount without asking. Same with office supplies.

easygirl

It’s not the same one on Amazon for christs sake

wrecker
    Free Member

Discussion is on Bike Check Plus kit, Amazon has Tool check plus which is different. See comments from werablair above.

It’s not the same one on Amazon for christs sake

Have you guys not noticed the conversation had been around sportpursuit for a while now?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Why the hell would a company such as Wera put goods on a dog s**t site such as Sports Pursuit?
    Confounds me when the likes of Amazon have the capability to shift hundreds if not thousands of units.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Well I bought a set, the bundle with the hex and torx keys as well.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Well I just got my kit and it looks to me to be just the standard tools-check plus set with 3 extra hex-plus bits – 10.5, 2 and 2.5 – supplied in jiffy bags.

Nice enough but not very bike-specific as far as I can see and no 10mm Hex like werablair mentioned, for example.

tootallpaul

Any idea where these can be purchased from?

Sportpursuit is out of stock.

akira

Halfords had a nice little set recently, came in a little orange box.

gummikuh

Could buy something like this:
    http://www.toolstop.co.uk/bahco-sl25-25-piece-socket-set-1-4-inch-drive-p8958
    Might need to replace a few of the hex bits though with different sizes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Wera Bike Check tool kit as reviewed in the latest mag’ is closed to new replies.