Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Wentwood50
  • boltonjon

Cracking event with some fantastic weather!!

3rd time racing there – and once again, i thought the organisers were outstanding!

Considering the felling and storm damage, they generated a pretty good course – maybe not quite as good as the last couple of years, but still bloody tough, with some great singletrack

I thought the coffee and beef sandwich stall were great as well –

More importantly – summer arrived in South Wales today!! 🙂

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Great day out and the trails were in great condition considering the crap weather we’ve had, they did a top job in that respect.
    Shame 3/4 of the riders (me included) somehow missed out 4.5km and 100-150m of climbing. someone missing an arrow and then everyone else playing follow my leader? Feel pretty gutted I missed a chunk out when I thought I’d done it all.

boltonjon

Hmmm, thats makes some sense – i think i may have done the same

What was your final distance and what gradient did you climb?

That tarmac climb near the end was brutal!

taxi25
    Free Member

Good day out again, apart from that road climb !!!!. I’m sure I did it all 29.8 mls on my garmin. Loads of people missing a loop makes sense. I started pretty close to the front, then all of a sudden I’m passing loads of people who definitely weren’t in front at the start or who came past me. Shame realy, results will be pretty meaningless now 🙁

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Can’t really go on overall distance/height gain, looking at all the varying results from friends tracks.
    In short it was the section from 5.4km to 9.8km that people missed, went down towards wentwood reservoir. Took about 20-40 minutes for that loop.
    http://app.strava.com/segments/6809625

oh and chuffed I did that full road climb too, and in alright time too it seems.

boltonjon

Yeah, it looks as though i only done 27.7 miles – thats a real shame 🙁

A few mates caught me who i knew were way out in front

Bugger

I managed to ride THAT climb. Wheel spinning on dry tarmac is always a little strange! 🙂

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

It was only 45k, 27.9 miles so your distance was about right.

wonnyj
    Free Member

What amazing trails they have there. I loved it. Great balance of speed, tech and slidey corners.

boltonjon

There was one rocky descent – muddy as hell – which spat you out onto a uphill firetrack – next to a Land rover water stop – that was my favourite descent – utterly bonkers!

Made dragging around a 160mm Liteville worth every foot of climbing!!! 🙂

creamegg
    Free Member

It was only 45k

I know it was only meant to be that but most of the people in my group, using a variety of devices from strava apps, garmins etc recorded over 49k.

LoCo
    Free Member

That hurt, it was ace reckon the back wheel did about 60k as was spinning so much on the climbs, worn rons not the best.
    2 wheels drifts on the decsents was brilliant 😀

amt27
    Free Member

great event,

sadly a bit of corner cutting by some big name riders, who then go on to claim they are the first ones back,

eskay

Great event again (have managed to do it every year so far).

The weather really did the business for us and the trails were surprisingly good.

Tough event (and I had to dip out of the 50 because of a lingering cold).

I think some people missed out a second section as well. Just before the bit where they were handing out Haribo, you turned right from a grueling climb onto a forest road. As me and another pulled out, there were a few who had ridden straight up the track, they had missed out quite a tough section of the course.

The catering was top notch, those beef roll things were delicious!! The feed stop was pretty well stocked out as well.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

If you were gps tracking and did the 45km then an easy way to check is to upload to strava and see if you get a time for “WW50 2014 cheats version” rather than the full loop… Huw Thomas can’t be too happy to have that KOM.

Boltonjon – you’re not the guy who was behind the pringled rear wheel on the start line last year are you? If so I was in the orange mbswindon top this year and think I met you again, was going to ask if you were running 160 or 140 on that thing. good effort either way.

boltonjon

Hi Dirthbiker100

Yep – its me who commented on your wheel last year and spoke to you after the race this year

I was also chatting to one of your mates on the course – i think he was riding an orange Soul

I run the Liteville with 160mm front and back. I figure that i’m not going to enjoy the climbs either way, so i might as well enjoy the descents as much as possible!! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Wentwood50’ is closed to new replies.