Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Wentwood 50km Mountain Bike Enduro, Sunday 6th March 2011
  • redthunder
    Free Member

Anyone doing this ? Did it happen last year.

http://www.wentwood50.co.uk/index.html

This is my local patch, quite interested in seeing the route. I wonder if the Dragon Downhill course will be included ?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Oooh, looks interesting. May give it a go even if just to find some new trails – so many seem to have disappeared recently with the felling.

gothandy

Hadn’t spotted this one before. Nice and local. Good to hear if anyone has done this before and what to expect?

cubemeup
    Free Member

iw ill be doing this, a good few from blackwood area will be going i think

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

what are the descents like on it? anyone know? not heading down too many fireroads or anything?

redthunder
    Free Member

There are plenty of descents and millions of ups. As Mamadirt says many trails have be battered. Mostly tree thinning.. and MX’ers.

I would like to know where the route is especially within the forest. Not interested in the Private stuff as its one day only.

I wonder if they have found any of the trails I’ve made ? 😉

cubemeup
    Free Member

just entered also a good few boys have from the blackwood caerphilly area!! 50km i better get my act together!!

nickegg
    Free Member

Just entered….looking forward to it already! 😀

cooknell
    Free Member

Does anyone know what the course and local conditions are like?

Is the climbing on fire roads – or will traction be a problem?

The hills round here (Somerset) are horrible at the moment – if the route includes a lot of muddy climbs I’ll need mud tyres.

Any info much appreciated.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve entered and its been very wet here in S.Wales. Anything apart from a total bog will be a bonus. Hopefully next week will be a bit drier.

marvincooper

This will be my first ever organised bike event, not got much of a clue what to expect, the extent of my off road riding is on the Ridgeway / Marlborough downs so this will certainly be different. Hope it’s dry!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Wentwood? Dry?? 😆 Some of the puddles are so permanent they have pond weed growing in them.

I tried to enter but all the places had gone – probably ride over and have a look though.

Don’t forget your wellies 😉

Bedds
    Free Member

On the subject of wellies.. What are the trails generally like? I’m just thinking about what tyres to use, I live and ride in the forest of dean and ride panracer trailrakers at present.. not great I have to say and I have been thinking of getting some bony mud x’s if this weather carries on. would they be ok or would something like mountain kings be alright?

marvincooper

Is it just me or does 1500m of climbing in 50km of riding seem like a lot? And 300m of climbing in the last 10k – eek! My “hilly” 40 mile ride only has about 500m according to bike-hike. I am getting a bit nervous – may have bitten off more than I can chew. Oh well, roll on Sunday…

valleydaddy
    Free Member

oh well marvin, we’ll just have to grind it out, bring it on!

I just hope it’s not as brutal as the Afan Monster was 😯

I will report back Sunday night 😉

singlecrack
    Free Member

well………looks like we are’nt going to need full-on mud tyres after all 😛

valleydaddy
    Free Member

T’was a good event, just need to sort a better system for sign on, scrum down comes to mind 🙄

Course was ok first 10k was a road climb to the forestry 😯 Some nice singletrack descents but would’ve liked somemore.

Did the 25km which turned out to be 31km by the time you got back to the carpark where the timings were being recorded, not a race but nice to see how fast you completed the course V another human all the same.

I would do it again

marvincooper

50km for me (+getting lost mileage, whatever that was) coped pretty well with the hills after all, just suffered on the downhill bits cos I am rubbish at bumpy descents! Good event but could do with more marshals or more signs/tape. Hats off to the marshals that were there though.

cubemeup
    Free Member

im like a cardboard chicken after that!! loads of climbing!!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Wentwood 50km Mountain Bike Enduro, Sunday 6th March 2011’ is closed to new replies.