Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Went out to the garage to do the one little job my bike needs before riding…
  • Northwind

…discovered I’d taken the forks apart and then suppressed the memory. Any ideas where I might have left the compression damper?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Rode the 4 miles (uphill) to the trails wednesday……………no front rotor. From last half arsed maintenance session (good job I’m not a professional mechanic eh?)

m360
    Free Member

You put it back, the forks now work great?

andyr
    Free Member

2nd shelf on the left?

garage-dweller

Next to the kettle when you went in to make a brew, which is now going cold in the living room your 6mm Allen key is in the dish washer and the 8mm spanner is on the sink in the bathroom.

andyl
    Free Member

in the fridge?

hatter

Do you have toddler?

If so they’re probably now asleep cuddling it.

goodgrief
    Free Member

Went round to the lbs today more for a chat than anything else, got shown what looks like a crack in my frame. Not a happy way to end the week!

garage-dweller

Do you have toddler?
    If so they’re probably now asleep cuddling it.

“Daddy, where compunction dumper. My want it in my bed peas”

fasthaggis

Cat or a Magpie,or maybe a Magcat

Northwind

It was in the other forks! Obviously. Even though it doesn’t actually fit in the other forks. And the maxle was in the wheel, but cunningly tucked in so that I didn’t see it the first 6 or 7 times I looked there while tearing the garage apart.

JohnnyPanic

Went out to go riding without doing that one little thing I meant to do before going out. Which meant arriving without the maxle.

Fortunately only an hour round trip to fetch it.
    Unfortunate for my mates who had to wait tho.

andyl
    Free Member

I thought I was bad forgetting my shoes the other day when taking the dog for a ride after checking the sheep. At least i only had a 15 minute round trip back to where I wanted to ride from.

wool

Just spent all evening looking for my rear shock that I serviced last week. It was in the biscuit tin…….

cardo

I gave my forks a lower service and couldn’t for the life of me remember if I had put the oil back in them, this thought only occurred to me whilst riding it!!!.. Hence a very quick inspection when I got home and thankfully I hadn’t had a brain fart…

@Northwind
    you were doing that man looking thing weren’t you?.. we’ve all done it mate 😀

coolhandluke
    Free Member

You accidentally sat on it while naked and now it’s up your bum?

Pop onto A&E and ask them to take a look.

Bregante

Northwind you were doing that man looking thing weren’t you?.. we’ve all done it mate

And does anyone else find it REALLY annoying when their other half tries to “help”?

“What are you after?”
    “What does it look like?”
    And….
    “Where were you when you last had it?”

JUST LEAVE ME TO SEARCH IN AN EVER MORE RANDOM AND FRANTIC MANNER PLEASE

*and this is someone who has been specifically trained to search

boxelder

Fella I know hopped on his bike to go into Coniston for a morning paper while staying in a cottage up the super steep road to Walna Scar. Hadn’t reattached the cables on his v brakes after taking the wheels off to travel. The stone wall he had to steer into before reaching the main rd stopped him. He has a PhD….

bullandbladder
    Free Member

On the side?

gingerbiker67
    Free Member

Arrived at a NEMBA race at Eston (remember them, probably 20 years ago) without the saddle and seatpost.

The next event in the series was worse, went downstairs on Sunday morning to make a brew, get ready, faff on, took 5 minutes to twig the reason a glass panel in the back door was broken was we had been burgled. Bike stolen.

sockpuppet

Fella I know hopped on his bike to go into Coniston for a morning paper while staying in a cottage up the super steep road to Walna Scar. Hadn’t reattached the cables on his v brakes after taking the wheels off to travel. The stone wall he had to steer into before reaching the main rd stopped him. He has a PhD….

I had a similar exciting day, when someone (rather than nicking my bike) simply disconnected my brakes for me while it was parked in town. It wasn’t like that when I rode to the shop, as evidenced by my being able to stop.

However after setting off into traffic, the handy side of a bus served as a convenient stopping device on my way home.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Other half “it must be somewhere” arrrrgh!

himupstairs

I drove down to Glen Tress from Edinburgh one day with my bike, and discovered after having got changed and so on that there appeared to be no front wheel in the car.
    I’d cleverly left it leaning against the nearside of the car while I was loading stuff, and even more cleverly, managed to manoeuvre out of the space and drive away without going over the wheel.
    On phoning home, I asked my girlfriend to look out of the flat window. Needless to say, and very fortunately, the wheel was still lying undamaged in the middle of the road.
    As I had a good rage on I thought it best to drive all the way home, then back to Glen Tress and eventually managed to do an angry lap.
    All made worse by the weather going from good to crap, and driving an oldish Land Rover which was totally useless for impatient angry A road driving.
    Idiot.

matther01
    Free Member

My garage is such a dumping ground these days, I’m surprised every time I manage to find my bikes.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I had a similar exciting day, when someone (rather than nicking my bike) simply disconnected my brakes for me while it was parked in town. It wasn’t like that when I rode to the shop, as evidenced by my being able to stop.

Someone stole two of my brake blocks once- one each front and rear, on the side away from the railings it was locked to. Noticed when I tried to slow down to join the road, luckily it was quite late and quiet!

hels
    Free Member

I drove half way across France once with the road bike in the back, chasing the good weather after 3 days stuck in tent on my own in the rain. Was planning my home made tattoo by day 3, so thought I had better get moving. Found some nice hills, a lovely town, hotel. Got up the next morning, yep that’s right had picked up the mtb shoes and left the road shoes at the base camp. Luckily every town has a bike shop in France ! Had to buy new pedals and cleats too, expensive blonde moment. But probably cheaper than the operation for getting the giant homemade Taniwha tattoo off my leg.

joat

Took two bikes on the roof to the Peaks on a camping trip. Drove to Ladybower and went to take the bikes off and realised I’d brought the wrong keys from home. I couldn’t find a passing scroat to unlock them for me and wasn’t willing to break two new bike racks so went for a walk instead.

seadog101

If it was cold, coat pocket.

dannyh
    Free Member

Took two bikes on the roof to the Peaks on a camping trip. Drove to Ladybower and went to take the bikes off and realised I’d brought the wrong keys from home. I couldn’t find a passing scroat to unlock them for me and wasn’t willing to break two new bike racks so went for a walk instead.

Ha, yes. I nearly did something similar. I like to lock my bike frame to the rear seat catch things when the seats are down (stops it flying through and killing you in a crash).

Anyway, last minute change of plan resulted in me taking my wife’s car. Ten minutes in to the journey to Hebden I realised the key for the lock wasn’t on her car keys.

Lucky escape.

boxelder

It’s your fault. I just sorted wheels out – change tyre, 20mm to 15mm maxle adaptors – wheels on bike, dressed and packed……..no chain. Forgotten I’d got half way through drivetrain repairs and where the ‘safe place’ is that I put the connector link.
    It’s why we have more than one bike…….

Northwind

cardo – Member

@Northwind you were doing that man looking thing weren’t you?.

I was doing some pro grade looking, using a torch to focus the attention- highly effective and also makes you look simultaneously mental, and like a thief.

hatter

“Daddy, where compunction dumper. My want it in my bed peas”

I love this response because it could have only come from a parent.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

under the freezer – freezers and fridges are like magnets ( not sure if it will fit though )

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Went out to the garage to do the one little job my bike needs before riding…’ is closed to new replies.