• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Went and saw American Idiot (aka the Green Day Musical)
  • Northwind

My brother bought us tickets to see the show for my birthday, and tbh I thought he’d gone mad. I like Green Day but the clips I’d seen of the show looked absolutely diabolical…

So, pleased to discover that it was pretty damn good. Not consistently good, mind, it flagged a lot in places (well, tbh it went crap every time they used a song off 21st Century Breakdown). But the performances were excellent, the staging was imaginative and clever (nice to see the stage-side loading door being used as part of the set frinstance). Story doesn’t really go anywhere much, and every step it takes is obvious, but still.

Choreography’s inventive and very physical/gymnastic in places but without being too forced… one or two bits don’t work… I see it was done by the same chap who did Black Watch and I could say the exact same thing about that.

Mainly, it just reminded me how bloody brilliant Jesus of Suburbia is… Translates fantastically well to the show as well, a genuine massive showtune and having it delivered by different cast members improved it from the original. Fab.

So, anyway. Point is, it’s on tour til Christmas and if you’re at all into this sort of thing, I reckon it’s worth going to. I didn’t think I’d like it, and I still have to say it’s far from perfect, but still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘Went and saw American Idiot (aka the Green Day Musical)’ is closed to new replies.