Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Wendover / Chilterns riders
  • mooseface
    Free Member

I’ve recently moved to the edge of Wendover woods, does anyone off here ride there regularly?

br
    Free Member

Use to, there are loads of cracking pieces of singletrack all around – from Dunstable all the way down to Goring.

Take a look on Strava.

timidwheeler

We do (though I must admit we are a bit hooked on Aston Hill at the moment). For xc riding I personally prefer the Combe Hill side of Wendover and then head out towards Princes Risborough. I was up there the other day and it’s pretty dry. I would make hay while the sun is shining as in the winter it turns into a bit of a quagmire.

mooseface
    Free Member

if either are out and about that away let me know ill tag along if its ok.

timidwheeler

Will do. We aren’t likely to be about for the next couple of weekends though.
    In the meantime… try- top of Combe Hill down towards Chequers. Find the piece of singletrack that follows the Chequers bend. It crosses the road and goes to the right of a field. Explore that area, head out to Princes Risborough. I can’t think of a bad desent off Combe Hill so try them all.

My favourite is the one from the back of the hill. The best way to find it is – head towards the cricket club from the centre of town. Just before the cricket club turn is a right turn which goes steeply up hill. It is signed a dead end. It takes you onto a bridge over the bypass. (Look down from the bridge and there is a wooden skills area next to the skate park.) Follow the road up and a bridleway goes off to your left (it looks like a driveway but is signed). Follow that trail all the way up until you reach a t junction. Turn right then follow the main track to the top of Combe Hill, turn left for the car park. The trail is both a good climb and a fun desent. I hope that makes sense.

mooseface
    Free Member

Nice one timidwheeler I’ll check that out

teasel
    Free Member

If you’re thinking of taking Timidwheeler’s advice and heading Chequers/Risborough way then I could show you some nice stuff between there and Whiteleaf/Bradenham/Golden Ball area. These should allow you to make a nice ride if you start from Wendover side.

As above, I’m tied up for at least the next three or four weeks or whenever the weather turns to shit but I’m happy to show you around. Some of it is a bit cheeky but it helps to join up the (allowed)trails.

If you want I’ll email you when I have a little more time, though I don’t do a lot of weekend riding instead opting for an 11am-ish start on weekdays to avoid meeting walkers.

teasel
    Free Member

walkers

Somewhere near Whiteleaf…

🙂

tizzzzle
    Free Member

I’m in Aston Clinton and ride Wendover Woods and around 3 or 4 times a week (eves and sat or sun). Happy to show you around.
    On Strava too if you want to see some decent routes

tymbian
    Free Member

@ tizzzzle, mooseface et al….anyone heading out Sunday weather permitting??

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Planned to do a road ride with a work colleague but it’s still not 100%.. so maybe

jezketley
    Free Member

Wendover is a pretty neat place to live for Chilterns riding. Check out BucksMTB, they hold group rides, club member rides and get together via Facebook pretty regular. Aston Hill is riding very nicely at the moment as well.

ampthill

A brilliant base for riding the Chilterns

But we might see you up at Woburn once the grounds gets really wet 😉

But it fab down there at the moment

mooseface
    Free Member

Tizzzzle and teasel let me know I’ll be up for it. My email is on my profile

teasel
    Free Member

No probs. As stated, won’t be for a few weeks, though…

mooseface
    Free Member

I took your “back of the hill route” timidwheeler, that’s a long slog up there but well worth it for the view and the ride down. Only downside I couldn’t locate the ice-creme van!

mooseface
    Free Member

Anyone out this weekend?

Trimix
    Free Member

I’m riding with a couple of mates on Saturday afternoon a bit west of you. You could join us if you fancy.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Wendover / Chilterns riders’ is closed to new replies.