Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Welsh/Scottish road trip (advice needed)
  • Euro
    Free Member

Planning a wee trip abroad 😆 and would appreciate any opinions/advice.

It’s likely to be a Thurs evening – monday evening thing so that should give us 3 full days riding. We’ve done the Stanes, but never got as far as Drumlanrig, Fortbill or Laggan and this would have been the original plan but involves a fair bit of traveling. The main plus would be the chair lift at FW and the chance to ride a world cup track.

A welsh-shaped spanner was tossed in, and as none of us have been before, we’re keen to explore the idea.

Given that we lean more towards the DH, jumpy, rough stuff, is there anywhere in particular we should head to? We do have HTs and aren’t adverse to a bit of xc, but only have room to take one bike each and 3 days xc may a have negative effect on my sexuality. 😀

Would there be enough of the gnarr in Wales to kept us amused for 3 days? And if so, where would be a good place to set up basecamp? Or would we be better off in Scotland?

Cheers

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

You are being a bit too black and white about rough/technical vs XC. There are any number of natural rides in Scotland with big technical rocky descents that you would include in your jumpy/rough category and are definitely not “XC”. However they include cycling, pushing and carrying and take at least 3-4 hours to do.

If you only want to do stuff with uplifts, fine, but if you are prepared to put some effort it there are some world class rides/descents around, especially off the Cairngorms. Do a day at Ft William then two days in Aviemore which could easily include Laggan

Euro
    Free Member

Fair point Capt. What I mean by XC, is somewhere where you pedal up, across then down again. Doesn’t matter really how rough/technical it is (we’re used to that) but I don’t think we would want 3 days of it. The problem is the types of bikes we own and our fitness levels.

We can take downhill bikes and don’t mind pushing up (wouldn’t/couldn’t pedal them too far) or battered hardtails that will go anywhere but are limited by their downhill potential. Some sort of full-sus 4-6″ bike could cope with both, but we’d have to buy one first, then have no money for the trip.

I’ll pass your Cairngorms/FW idea to the committee and see if she floats.

Cheers

ridingscared
    Free Member

Go down the M5 – drop in to Redhill for a session on the 4x track and jumps on the Thursday evening, stay near that night, uplift at FoD on the Friday,stay in FoD then Cwmcarn for a day, uplift , session the dh track and the bottom section of the xc, an hour down the M4 camp at the Gower, Sunday go to Afan Argoed and Glyncorrwig , back to the Gower for the last night.

Euro
    Free Member

Gonna have to break out the google on that one, but sounds interesting.

FoD?

FOD Foreign Object Damage
    FOD Finger Of Death
    FOD Fart Of Death
    FOD Free On Delivery
    FOD Friend of Deceased

Maybe google wasn’t such a good idea 😆

edit got it Forest of Dean. Looks good

ridingscared
    Free Member

yeah sorry- Forest of Dean. Shameless link to my video here

Simon at flyup will look after you and the new trail is almost complete and is unreal.

Euro
    Free Member

post weekend bump

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Welsh/Scottish road trip (advice needed)’ is closed to new replies.