Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Welsh winter mountains.
  • jakd95
    Free Member

I’m wanting to get out an climb a few more hills this winter. North/Mid Wales is fairly accessible to me (from Shropshire). Anyone got any recommendations for particularly good mountains? Are the 3000’s as good a place to start as any, or am I missing out on some gems by sticking to them?

I’ve done Snowdon/Cader Idris a few times in summer, plus Snowdon/Pen yr Ole Wen/Glyder Fawr via Y Gribin in winter conditions last year.

I’m well equipped with crampons/ice axe and competent with a map and compass etc, so I’m not going to be a complete liability.

footflaps

Loads of good winter walks in Snowdonia, Crib Goch, North ridge Tryfan, The Glyders via Bristly Ridge etc

slowoldman

A cracking walk in full on winter conditions is a round of the Marchlyn Mawr reservoir (top lake of the Dinorwig pump storage scheme). Park below Marchlyn Bach then up Carnedd y Filiast, Mynydd Perfedd, and over the ridge above the reservoir to Elidir Fawr. On a nice day fabulous views down the Ogwen and across to Snowdon. I’ve done it a couple of times and last time out the snow was amazing, varying from powder to boiler plate slab every other step. A gliss down off the top proved interesting as the axe kept refusing to bite. Quick descent though.

matt_outandabout

Any Welsh hills are good when in condition.

I presume as well as axe and crampons you have some experience and competence at using them….

MrNice
    Free Member

I’m well equipped with crampons/ice axe

Do you have an avalanche poodle?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Cnicht, it’s not challenging in the crampon and ice axe area, but it is a nice place to be when sitting at the summit.

jakd95
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll look into them.

I am competent with the axe/crampons and have a reasonable degree of experience. Sadly no poodle though..

Bump if anyone else has any other suggestions?

globalti
    Free Member

Leave the bloody mobile at home…..

scotroutes

Eh? Why would he want to do that? Mobile phones are an ideal way of contacting friends and family so you can update them with plans and of contacting the emergency services if it all goes tits up for you, someone else in your party or someone you might come across in trouble.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Welsh winter mountains.’ is closed to new replies.