Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Welsh trail centre trails – South to North, which ones. Advice please.
  • giantonagiant

Heading to a mates wedding tomorrow in Pembs. Will be entering S Wales on A40 to Abergavenny, then flexible on route. Looking at either down to Neath to do Afan or A40 to Brechfa, advice for which one would be best for a couple of hours tomorrow afternoon.

After the weekend, have a week or 10 days to head up through Wales to Snowdonia, ticking off the boxes of any trails worth a visit, eg any of the Mach trails / CYB?

I'm sure there's lots of great natural trails to be had – but I've been out of the saddle for a couple of months so want to use the time to get some 3 or 4 hour loops in around places, with no require to map read / plan too much. (Not just that, but I'm sure with the summer hols for kids starting soon, the fells will be pretty busy?).

If it helps with suggestions, I'd say I'll ride owt 'red' in Eng or Scot happily and normally prefer Lakes days out, but as I say, just want some no-brainer saddle time.

Thanks in advance of your advice chaps.

ji
    Free Member

Just spent a weekend riding Cwncarn, Brechfa (both Raven and Gorlech) and White's Level at Afan. Details and review here http://louth-area-mountain-bikers.3659166.n2.nabble.com/2010-Biking-Weekend-tp4785658p5314078.html

Personally if it were me I would go for Brechfa…but be aware of how far from anywhere it is.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Brechfa is indeed ace! If you have 10 days to play with you can ride all manner of good stuff in Cymru, bot trail centre and natural.

I am jealous.

giantonagiant

Thanks ji, looks like I'll head for Brechfa – it's not too far off my route at all. Looks like you chaps had a good weekend. Thanks for the recommendation.

CaptFH, any recommendations of where to head a bit further north then? I'll prob head up the coast road towards Mach – anywhere worth a visit? Any Mach trail in particular? CYB? Also I've heard of the Marin trail, opinions?

Totally open to suggestions, as I've only really walked / climbed in Snowdonia and The Beacons.

Ta.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mach is ace, especially the last DH on Climachx, but a great tip is to go and talk to Tegid at the Holey Trail in town (also check out the beer range at the Co-Op just down the road).

Teg knows the area backwards and can point you to some really great stuff.

CYB is sublime as a trail centre, all manner of great stuff (Teg runs the shop there as well!)

Marin and Penmachno divide opinions. I find them dull, but others adore them!

To be honest, there's so much in Wales that you'll be bound to find some good stuff! Pob lwc!

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Last Saturday – Mark of Zorro.

How about Nant y Arian. Summit Trail (with or without extension over the moors). Well worth calling in on the way.

:))

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh yes….Mark of Zorro! A classic of swoopy goodness. Cake's good at the visitor centre, too!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Last year did a similar trip..

Afan – W2
    Brechfa – Raven
    Cwm Rhaeadr
    Nant Y Arian – Summit
    Climachx
    Coed y Brenin – Beast of Brenin

Had planned on Llandegla too, but… well… knackered.

m_t_b
    Free Member

If you head to Brechfa try mixing up the trails a little, you can take a route that starts on the blue/green then swaps to black then takes in the infamous last red decent, through a ford then back onto the black for the downhill to the jump park – its about 25k and contains the best bits of all 3 trails.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Welsh trail centre trails – South to North, which ones. Advice please.’ is closed to new replies.