Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 380 total)
  • Welsh Ride Thing…..
  • JohnClimber
    Free Member

Stuart, I can confirm we have 2 bailers from our gang and another who always bails but say's he's 50/50 at the moment.

Do you have a reserve list to call up?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Route sorted
    All 13 points
    120 miles
    19,706 ft of ups and downs

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Don't worry about those not coming John … the Air Ambulance will still get their money 😀

You have remembered to include the good descents in your route and not do them back to front turning them into climbs? 😉

Stuart

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I've got my 2 day route sorted. 10 check points, 145km… decided not to look at ups and downs. There's definitely at least one push/drag across a featureless moorland. 😉

I'm just hoping it warms up a bit…bbbrrrr……

pistonbroke
    Free Member

All sorted here too. I reckon on it being 95% ridable and I'm no riding god, although whether I'm still saying this with 25lb of kit on me and the bike remains to be seen. A little challenge, theres an easily ridable,perfectly legal, route directly linking 2 of the checkpoints which isn't on any OS map or Google Earth version I have seen, it cuts out about 3 miles and a big climb. Anyone know it?

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Pistonbroke – 25lb!? does that include the kitchen sink!? 😉 Is the route you're referring to near a couple of windmills?

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

pistonbroke does it link SN837793 to SN773790 ?

Stuart

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Quite possibly but there are a lot of windmills around this area. Re weight, a chap needs a few home comforts 😕

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

so you're not going to just give it away for the general good of the population? 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

streetmap seems to have a newer maps than my copy of memeory map (maybe 5 year old).

the windmills and tracks are shown on SM but not on my copy of MM.

Nick

so you're not going to just give it away for the general good of the population?

trouble with doing that is that we then end up all doing the same route… I don't know where this route is but I intend to pour over the 1:25000 scale maps, google earth and geography.co.uk this weekend 🙂

bertofold
    Free Member

Did a dry run at the weekend, not over the route just local to me. Judging by the time and distance covered I will be doing well if I can get 10 check points 😯

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

True enough. Google Earth and geograph are ace for route planning. I'm really excited about this. Shame I can only do one night.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Track isn't shown on any version of MMap,Geograph or Google Earth but I have found a photo of it… Keep guessing, now I'm torn whether to disclose it, my initial thought was yes as after all it's not a race. Stuart is pretty warm but he should be after all 😉

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

hmmm… the plot thickens. is it on the latest version of OS data, ie streetmap or OS get-a-map?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Just checked on get a map and no it isn't. I'll give you a clue, it was used on the Wales Rally GB last year.

Nick

So it's not on any map, not visible from space and there might be a picture of it on the web somewhere (amongst several million), this might take some time…

flatfish
    Free Member

(waving hand furiously)

FOUND IT

thomthumb
    Free Member

2nd.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I didn't say it wasn't visible from space, the latest Google Earth photo is 3 years old and it has been built since then. OK flatfish what are the heights of the start and finish of the track running west to east?

flatfish
    Free Member

Please sir it's 1243ft-1624ft

pistonbroke
    Free Member

In meters please and show your workings.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I have an real inkling of where it is… but cannot find the fabled picture……

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Its on geograph titled

New Track at Cefn Croes Wind Farm

There I've said it.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Ha ha, was looking at that picture just the other day… duh!

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I've found a map of it!! ;-p

flatfish
    Free Member

where?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Do you work for the Forestry then or have you got the original plans for the wind farm?

thomthumb
    Free Member

rally maps has google maps of all the stages…

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Clue: the Wind farm.

Nick

There is a bloody big track/road visible in the google maps satellite view

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

just been looking at the map, I don't really think it gives that much benefit…. wel not on the route I've worked out. ;-/

pistonbroke
    Free Member

As Nick said earlier, it would be boring if we all went the same way. I've just had another look at the Google Map satellite veiw and it isn't on my version still. Just to be clear it runs from just east of a run down farmhouse contouring up Draws Drum and across Banc Dolwen, leaving the forest at 803791 and across to the turbine road, it is definitely the most direct and least climby route between the 2 bothies. But what do I know, I've only been riding in these hills for 30 years.I remember when it was all fields. I'll shut up now.

Nick

But what do I know, I've only been riding in these hills for 30 years.I remember when it was all fields

bollokcs to what I said, I'm following you 🙂

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

fair play pistonbroke, you know the area so am not doubting you. Everyone's route will be different as that's just human nature, and what makes this an interesting and fun event. 🙂

I'm only able to do 1 night and 2 days riding, so have plotted a route around 10 checkpoints. Whether I get them all maybe doubtful….. from my previous experience in this part of wales, bridleways tend to have a time-sapping dimension not present in other parts of the country. 😀

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

In this part of Wales the locals call that "Welsh Time" … You think you know what time it is, then when you look it's 3 hours later than you thought. It doesn't happen in winter though only summer months. It'll be the reason I never manage to get my tea until 9.00pm 😉

Stuart

IanB
    Free Member

Two general questions:
    1) how much % road have you all got in your routes, roughly?
    2) anyone doing it singlespeed?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

1)Road? Are we allowed to use the road?
    2)Does pushing count as singlespeed?
    Sensible answer 1)About 30% 2)Not me, I've ridden with people on singlespeeds in this area and its not pretty.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

There are indeed single speeds taking part … with the right ratio they'll be fine 😉

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Anout 30% very quiet (I hope) road here, but 120 miles over 48 hours I fancy gears and full suss over rigid single speed.

As it's not a race so it's comfort and an enjoyable time for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 380 total)

The topic ‘Welsh Ride Thing…..’ is closed to new replies.