Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Welsh Cycling president Bill Owen urges bike aggression
  • project
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-14575975

He speaks the truth, but do you agree.

donsimon
    Free Member

Assertiveness yes.
    Aggression NO.

andrewh
    Free Member

Agree with don Simon.
    Unfortunatley theere are just as many nobs riding bikes as there are driving cars, it’s just people. I try not to do things which bikers as a whole a bad name but see too many examples of others doing stupid things, not me obvioulsy as I’m perfect.
    However, the ones in cars are more likely to kill me…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

the Don speaks sense.

jon1973
    Free Member

Assertive rather than aggressive I’d say.

edit…too slow

MrSparkle

I think he’s damn right.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Agression YES
    Assertiveness NO

KonaTC

Mr Owen article is spot on and so is his view/advice

project
    Free Member

A very good bok to read about cycle assertiveness is CYCLECRAFT,

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Cyclecraft-John-Franklin/9780117037403

Buy it, read it and ride safer and faster.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Prosecutors need to be more ambitious in their choice of charges when it comes to incidents on the road. A couple of high profile murder convictions and folk’s attitudes would soon change.

molgrips
    Free Member

Road cycling sense is what’s needed. So assertiveness and also compliance and manners.

Also, fitness is a bit of an issue. People would be terrified trying to join a motorway in.. I dunno.. a Trabant.. but that’s basically how some people have to deal with traffic – they are too slow to ride assertively.

Of course a different approach is needed when you’re slow in busy traffic but it’s not really taught to anyone. I saw a bloke today in the thick of heavy traffic wobbling slowly from the lights in the wrong gear, and it was quite scary – good job it was me behind him and I gave him a lot of room and time.

highclimber
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go out of my way to be aggressive to other road users unless they had done something that was potentially dangerous but I would quickly calm down and become more rational – such is human nature.

I think it’s certainly not a stance the welsh cycling president should take and propose.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Fitness my arse.

samuri
    Free Member

I think he’s talking out his arse. His research is all wrong too.
    Cycling fatalities have been consistently decreasing for the last 30 years despite their use increasing rapidly, particularly over the last ten years.
    The more bikes on the roads, the more driver awareness increases and the less accidents occur.

Most accidents don’t happen because cyclists aren’t assertive enough, they happen because motorists don’t see them, no amount of riding in the middle of the road is going to change that.

Junkyard
    Free Member

bit of both it all just depends tbh.
    I think improving driver awareness is the key. This needs to be done for cyclists and other motor users.
    Where i am the non proper cyclists*, who seem to be the worst, mainly stick to pavements. i rarely see a non lycra clad person cycling tbh so we seem to have fewer problems as they know how to cycle appropriately [generally].

Obviously I am making huge generalisations.

* owns a bike has no knowledge of tyres and logos or n +1

seosamh77
    Free Member

defensive riding is the way forward, that means more than just aggression though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Even MORE AGGRESSION.

Grrrr.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes there are very no problems in life that cannot be solved by greater aggression. Perhaps we should scream and shout at cars [ not the parked one with no one in that would be stupid] when waiting at lights – if you are one of those unassertive types who stop that is.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The odd kick at a wing mirror (especially when cleated) helps too.

kayak23

Prosecutors need to be more ambitious in their choice of charges when it comes to incidents on the road. A couple of high profile murder convictions and folk’s attitudes would soon change.

Ummmm……no they wouldn’t, hence why murder is still and always will be a reality. No amount of sentencing is going to stop Mr bloggs from ‘failing to see’ (read, failing to look out for) a cyclist.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The odd kick at a wing mirror (especially when cleated) helps too.

only if babbling/ranting incoherently..which I think most on stw could do easily to help make the roads safer

brakes
    Free Member

I believe assertive aggression is the only answer
    or is it aggressive assertion
    example: car waiting at lights is flanked at its front wings by two cyclists, car is edging forward and revving its engine to indicate that it wants to be first off the lights, despite the fact that there is a queue of traffic 20m away. both cyclists move in front of car so it CAN NOT PASS. cyclists are full of win.

Junkyard
    Free Member

except they have an aggressive driver behind them who wants to overtake them and is now annoyed i would let them go tbh.

brakes
    Free Member

junkyard is not full of win

br
    Free Member

And what he said:

The call has come from Welsh Cycling president Bill Owen who says cyclists should not be afraid to ride in the middle of the road.

Absolutely agree with him.

I rarely cycle on the road, except when between ‘trails’ on my MTB, but I do commute on m/c everyday into London – and riding as though I own (and am judge and jury 😉 ) the road has kept me safe for over 25 years.

Junkyard
    Free Member

but he is not run over or clipped by angry aggressive moronic irrate driver he has just annoyed so he is full of safety 😀

I am never full of win just mediocrity on a bike 😥

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

IMO far too many cyclist use “apologetic” road positioning trying to get out of cars way instead of “assertive” road positioning.

A lot of cyclists injuries have a contributory factor of poor road positioning that allows cars to make dangerous manouvers

druidh
    Free Member

samuri – Member
    Most accidents don’t happen because cyclists aren’t assertive enough, they happen because motorists don’t see them, no amount of riding in the middle of the road is going to change that.

Actually, cycling in the middle of the road makes you more visible to other road users.

project
    Free Member

I have done 2 led cycle rides in liverpool , and weneeded to cross great howard street a 3 lane 30 mph road, first time 4 lanes open , on a quiet sunday, 35 of us want ing to cros, two cyclists in hi viz stopping trafic, audi driver decides he isnt going to stop, almost carnage.

Then last week same place, but now road works only 2 lanes open and again an audi driver, screams abuse and skids to a halt from well above the speed limit.

Other types of idiot are available driving other brands of vehicle.

mintimperial

Cycling fatalities have been consistently decreasing for the last 30 years despite their use increasing rapidly, particularly over the last ten years.

Samuri, I’ve heard lots of stuff like this recently, but I’m yet to see any authoritative numbers to back it up. Simply saying “there are fewer cyclist deaths” or even “there are fewer deaths as a percentage of total cyclists” doesn’t really tell you anything about the relative risk of cycling as compared to other activities or road-users.

I’m not trolling you here, I would genuinely be fascinated to see some numbers that indicate that cycling is less dangerous than it used to be, or how dangerous it is compared to being a pedestrian, or horse-rider, say – have you (or has anyone else) seen any, and could you link to some stats if you have? (I apologise if this seems to be a stupid question. The figures may be easily available, and I could just be looking in the wrong place; I’ll freely admit that I’ve not spent a huge amount of time researching it.)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mintimperial. Cycling is safe some data on relative risks

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1026.html

Flaperon

I think it’s telling of both the police and the local authority’s attitude that bike lanes are used as parking spaces 24 hours a day in South Manchester. If the same fine applied as does for blocking a bus lane then things might change.

Certainly I feel the biggest risk to cyclists is cutting in and out of parked cars, and if someone is trying to squeeze past both me and a parked car against oncoming traffic it makes me nervous. Got to admit that I don’t take particular care about clipping parked cars with pedals or bars in these circumstances.

samuri
    Free Member

I’d argue that riding in the middle of the road is an assertive move, not an aggressive one and it really should only be done under specific circumstances, say for example when a right hand turn is round the next blind bend. But I wouldn’t agree it makes you more visible normally, it certainly makes you more annoying. I very much doubt cyclists are constantly being knocked off their bikes riding along a straight road, my experience tells me it’s junctions where you have to watch out for ****.

mintimperial, try this site.http://cyclinginfo.co.uk/blog/cycling/stats-uk/. He’s not an authorative source but he does reference where he gets the stats from.

Again, my own experience tells me than in particular, in the last five years, driver attitudes to cyclists have improved dramatically. Yes there’s still the occasional idiot but on the whole, more room, more sense, less stupid overtaking before junctions, less looking you right in the eye and pulling out. And the more people ride bikes, the more chance a driver will know someone who cycles and I expect conversations with those people changes their attitudes.

One guy across the road hated cyclists, hated them. And he let me know about it too. But gentle explanations, little comments, exposure to an opposing viewpoint rather than his sycophantic mates definately turned that around. I doubt you’ll see him on a critical mass ride any time soon but he has admitted that there is a place for bikes on our roads.

At least if he comes across a cyclist meandering along in the middle of the road for no apparent reason, he might actually stop to think about the circumstances rather than blindly flooring it past and filling up his jug of hate.

Without that awareness and education he’s never going to understand it.

GrahamS

The figures may be easily available, and I could just be looking in the wrong place; I’ll freely admit that I’ve not spent a huge amount of time researching it.)

DfT and ONS produce authorative annual reports on road casualties that are fairly comprehensive.
    2009 is the latest full report (I think 2010 provisional might be available).

Check out http://www2.dft.gov.uk/pgr/statistics/datatablespublications/accidents/casualtiesgbar/index.html

oldgit
    Free Member

Assertiveness, yes but I usually call it making a stance. I also abide by the rules all the time.

Veering off topic a bit, my town has become bloody dangerous since becoming a cycling town. Too many ad hoc cycle lanes squeezed onto the roads, cycle lanes running the opposite way in one way roads, loads of speed bumps and slippery mini roundabouts and best of all ASLs at lights that can’t be activated by a cycle….you have to wait for a car?
    Just far too much clutter on the roads. We’ve now had three compatent cyclists including myself knocked off by cars in two months.

molgrips
    Free Member

IMO far too many cyclist use “apologetic” road positioning trying to get out of cars way instead of “assertive” road positioning

One person’s ‘apologetic’ would be another man’s ‘considerate’.

I don’t move out to claim road position unless there’s a specific reason for doing so – if I feel a car might squeeze past me dangerously, or I need to get right for a junction or something. It’s with a firm hand signal and eye contact over the shoulder, and I rarely get grief for it.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Sorry, but all this bickering about assertiveness is mere obfuscation. If you honestly think more assertiveness or agression will make cyclists safer on the roads then you are clearly deluded. The only strategy for increasing cyclist safety that has been shown to work is removing the cars. We need proper universal segregated cycle infrastructure. And until we unite behind this goal cyclists will keep being killed and the only people cycling on the roads will be the die hard and the desperate.

Oxboy
    Free Member

What? Bill Owen? This Bill Owen seen fettling his bike and then riding it padded up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwiQgjkn4Qo

mmmmmmm

donsimon
    Free Member

The only strategy for increasing cyclist safety that has been shown to work is removing the cars. We need proper universal segregated cycle infrastructure. And until we unite behind this goal cyclists will keep being killed and the only people cycling on the roads will be the die hard and the desperate.

No delusion there, then. 😉

mansonsoul
    Free Member

😆

But seriously, this is what we need to be arguing for, and nothing less. It wouldn’t just benefit cyclists. It would benefit everyone in society.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Welsh Cycling president Bill Owen urges bike aggression’ is closed to new replies.