Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Welsh Bunkhouses – Any recommendations?
  • maddawgkeef
    Free Member

A large number of friends and I have been annually having a winter bash at Brechfa, however due to price increases and a reduction in numbers (from about 25+ to 15) we’re no looking for another winter venue.

So does anyone have any recommendations?
    Must cater for:
    15+ people
    Be under half an hours ride from the trail head (or 10 mins drive)
    Be warm
    Have secure bike storage (preferable)
    be less than £40 PPPN

I’m not asking you to do my research for me but it seems there aren’t many properties around that fit this so throwing this out to find a hidden gem!

qwerty
    Free Member
    orangeboy
    Free Member

Eagles pub bunkhouse in penmachno.
    Ride to penmachno trail or short drive to the Marin trail

welshfarmer

I would suggest my neighbour as it would be perfect for your requirements. However, I think it is fully booked over the festive season

http://www.llanthonybunkbarn.co.uk/wainhouse.html

We have a bunkhouse just 2 miles from Coed y Brenin if that helps 🙂 You can read about it here http://www.logcabinswales.co.uk/accommodation/rhiw-goch-bunkhouse/

maddawgkeef
    Free Member

Many thanks for all the suggestions (and sorry for taking a while to say thanks). We’ve gone for the Llanthony funhouse which looks great.

Now for the routes. We’ve a mixed ability group from novice blue routers to some pretty competent riders capable of long black runs. What I really wanted to know though is is there any single track in the Mynydd Du forest.

I used to race the Dragons there many, many years ago and the track was amazing. I haven’t had the chance to go back and have seen a couple of youtube vids suggesting that its still in part there. Are there any other single track in the forest that are worth using in a route round and back to Llanthony? Don’t tell me where, just tell me if they exist!!!

maddawgkeef
    Free Member

funhouse??? I obviously meant bunkhouse!

SaxonRider

We stayed in a bunkhouse somewhere near the Penderyn Distillery, and it was fantastic! I will look for the details and let you know, but it was cosy, with lots of bunks, and very cheap.

welshfarmer

When are you coming maddawg? Since you will be less than a mile from me I am happy to give you some tips, routes and general advice. Happy to show you some stuff too if it fits in with your plans and I am around. What are the abilites of our group and aspirations of a days riding (distance climbing etc)?

welshfarmer

PS based on some of the parties I have been to in the Bunkhouse I think Funhouse is quite appropriate 🙂

welshfarmer

PPS the Dragon track is still partly there and worth a visit if you are into slippery death type riding, and it links in very nicely with a loop back to Llanthony

maddawgkeef
    Free Member

Welsh farmer, I think what we may plan on doing is riding down the valley to BMCC, as a big group, there are 16 of us at the bunk (6 going hiking on the Sat) and I think about 10 of us will be riding including my son (he’s only 5 going on 6 but rode almost 10 miles the other day (Swinley Blue/Red). Then we’ll split up with the 5 of us who are competent on hard reds and blacks and ride back over Mynydd Du and then up the other side and back to Llanthony. You might want to pop over to the bunkhouse for a beer or two on the Friday as I’m sure we won’t have decided till the day before.

welshfarmer

Sounds like a plan. Got a date?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Welsh Bunkhouses – Any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.