Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • wellies
  • Pook

Where to buy? And do I go one size higher to fit thick socks?

neilwheel
    Free Member

At the welly shop. Yes, it will make the mud come alive.

Spin
    Free Member

Buy cheap ones and put an old pair of trainer insoles in them for walking comfort.

thegreatape
    Free Member

What are those ridiculously priced French ones made out of rubber recycled from Serge Gainsbourg’s used johnnies that CFH wears?

neilwheel
    Free Member

Not sure…………….Pluckers & Co?

Seriously, if you are going to spend much time in them, then get some half decent ones, try them on.

I got my last pair from screwfix with safety toecaps.

takisawa2

£10 from local builders yard.

Jamie
    Free Member

Rubber wellies?

Doing more electrical work. Pook?

…on a less explosive note, check out this: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wellies-2

PMK2060

Aldi have got safety wellies in store today. Look ok.

CountZero

Buy cheap ones from a garden center or builder’s merchants by all means, if all you’re going to do is use them for walking the dog around a local playing field, or anything that involves walking no more than a mile, but if you’re going to be doing any serious walking in claggy, wet conditions, Muckboots are outstanding, especially if you use a pair of neoprene bootsocks inside them.
    I can easily do five or six miles with no discomfort in mine.

ourmaninthenorth

Hunter adjustable for me. Got mine from Welly Warehouse (from the shop, but they’re fine online too).

For more expensive, but not really wellies, try Le Chameau or Dubarry.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hunter if you live in a town/city, green Dunlop if you don’t.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Dunlop soft rubber ones, (they have a name that I can’t remember) purofort?

If in cold weather, their thermal wellies are excellent, expensive but that cost pales into insignificance when your feet are warm when they really shouldn’t be.

My feet used to steam when I took my thermal wellies off in well below zero temperatures all day.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Dunlop. £15 steals from local agri shop and I run around in them all day and they grip very well. The sole is first to fail. I’m using the Dunlop pro foot ones at the mo and they are lovely so far

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Have posh Hunters for shooting, neoprene Muckboots for when it’s really cold and wear Dunlop riggers all day everyday.

Would wear the riggers all the time if I could as they’re as comfy as slippers, just awful in the cold.

robland
    Free Member

i have the argyll bullseye wellies which are made by hunter. They have been the best willies i have ever had i have had these for about 4 years now and still going strong. I find cheap wellies to have very thin souls and seam to crack.

jambourgie
    Free Member

the best willies i have ever had

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Occasional use something from a farm supply shop. They will have lots take thick socks. Under 25 quid should do you fine. My last set were that kind and we’re fine for race fields, festivals and a spot of gardening. As a point of reference I grew up in wellies on the farm. I’d only up the cash if you were spending a lot of time in them.

BillMC

It’s worth spending a few quid if you propose to walk any distance but do try them on. They are by no means the same shape and a little bit of movement/irritation can ruin your day/feet. Merino shooting socks are well worth the investment.

tonyd

Following a similar thread I tried on some muckboots but they were the wrong shape for my feet. I ended up with some Bogs, similar to Muckboots. They’re rated down to -15 or something silly but don’t get too hot although I only really wear them when it’s cold and wet! Just wear normal socks with them.

Go and try some on at a decent welly shop. You really do get what you pay for so as above if it’s just walking the dog round the block Dunlops will do.

bigbmx
    Free Member

Dunlop purofort

http://www.tfmsuperstore.co.uk/shop/search.php?searchword=Purofort

I wear these most of the time I’m awake and not on my bike. Get some good insoles ( same should be said for all footwear) and don’t size up unless you want to wear your socks out.

daftvader
    Free Member

I hate wellies…. My feet freeze in them, even my winter fishing ones. I ended up getting a pair of waterproof leather riggers with composite rather than steel to cap. Really warm and great for walking the dog, plus can get some big socks in for warmth….

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘wellies’ is closed to new replies.