Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Wellgo pedals .What's in a name ?
  • oldfart

Just got a pair of V12 copies for Mrs Farts bike .Less than half the price of DMRs .OK may not last as long ?But hey they aren't going to have a hard life so…
    Probably made in same factory just different make stamped on them ?

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Only pedal I've ever snapped was a wellgo – not a huge sample size I admit, but enough to put me off.

nickc

Probably. My missus uses a Wellgo made SPD copy with no hassles

thv3
    Free Member

I have used a pair of MG-1 Wellgos for about 18months now, and apart from cosmetic scrathes etc they still run perfectly.

Cheaper and lighter than a lot more expensive sets.

alpin
    Free Member

same experience as thv3.

mate has a set of DMR V8s and they run like a loose rattily things.

have a set of V12 Wellgo copies on the GFs bike and they are running fine despite being used daily.

Andituk
    Free Member

Wellgo are one of the biggest, if not the biggest pedal manufacturer in the world iirc.

They make loads of pedals of other people, including DMR. Have a look on their website in their products sections, then take a look at other more expensive pedal companies and see how many you match up, theres bloody loads.

TooTall
    Free Member

longest lasting pedals I have are Wellgo – still great after regular then occasional use over 11 years.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OK may not last as long ?

Tell you what, OF, spend 15 mins opening the axle up, squirting in some decent grease (Not bike specific crap) and I bet you they'll last forever. I just bought a £200 Carrera Subway commuter and it came with some cheap Wellgo DX copies, I did this before I rode it and, no word of a lie, the bearings have zero play and are as smooth as silk. Lovely. 🙂

mate has a set of DMR V8s and they run like a loose rattily things.

That, again, will be because they've never been serviced, no more, no less. V8s even come with a grease port and some grease!

boblo
    Free Member

My wife has a pair of spd copies on the tandem. They've done well over 20k loaded touring miles and DISASTER, I regreased and fettled them for the first time last year. I also have a pair of VP (XTR copies) that have about 5k miles on them, no problems.

IIRC, they were about £15.

GW
    Free Member

I've never ever seen a wellgo pedal with the exact same shape body as a DMR V8/12. where did you find them?

mike_p
    Free Member

I've had a pair of Wellgo V12 "copies" for years, they've been faultless

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Xpedo pedals…. What's in a name? 😳

Nothing wrong with Wellgo….

kimbers

yep wellgo dmr copies had em for about 13 years now bit still sweet

Jamie
    Free Member

I have some DMR v12s for the last 4 years. Serviced once i think in that time and are still sweet. Think i got them in a sale tho.

coffeeking
    Free Member

MY V8 copies are a bit rattly but I've never lubed or fettled them either.

cookeaa

Currently using some B54’s (I think?) half the price of other similar pedals, Quite good, pretty grippy better than V8/V12’s not a patch on Eastons but a fraction of their price…

Had their V8’s for a while found the shape a bit wrong/small but the pedals themselves worked fine, relegated to the BMX for now…

As already stated the DMR V8/V12’s are manufactured by wellgo anyway so in answer to your question “What’s in a name?” Naff all really…

They’re all approximate copies of the original DX flat anyway, no reason to get precious over branding really when everything is a copy is there?

coogan
    Free Member

Both my bikes have Wellgo pedals. One set well over 4yrs old and never been apart and running schweet. Unlike the CB 50:50's I had…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the V8copy is the mk1 V8 IIRC, doesn't have the brace in the middle so tends to crack if you slam them into rocks.

My V8's are top notch, not very grippy by modern standards, but still smooth as silk with occasional squirts of grece.

Diawl
    Free Member

Don't get me started on CBs. The Mallets I bought were the biggest pile of overpriced cr@p I've ever bought.

slowrider
    Free Member

i wish wellgo made a copy of something a bit bigger like a flatboy or a straitline. i love my v12 copies with ti axles but ideally i wish they were bigger. £50 from the bay, 1/3 of most ti pedals. i replaced the pins straight away for straitline style ones, i find grub screws in magnesium pedals just chew them up when you bash them

t-p26
    Free Member

IIRC Wellgo were at it before DMR? So its not a v8/12/whatever copy…..
    Its a copy of a WELLGO!

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

the V12 copys are just the original MK1 V12s before DMR asked Wellgo to make them a little bit lighter and a bit rounder on the edges. DMR= just Wellgo made.

jfeb
    Free Member

Wellgo MG1s = great 🙂

Northwind

MG1s are better than V12s by a fair old margin IMO, seems like Wellgo keep some of the good stuff for themselves.

mudpup
    Free Member

Check out Onza Hognesiums for a Wellgo made v12magalike

paul4stones

Reassuring thread this. My first foray into flat pedals arrived today – Wellgo MG-1

Rockplough
    Free Member

Another vote for MG-1s here. Only gripe is I can't get the bolt under the dust cap off so can't service them.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Like others i've had a set of the orignal "v12 copies" for well over 10 years. Still run perfect.

Put a set of MG-1 Ti's on my new bike last year, very light. Started with DMR V12 (non copies) but found them not wide eough. The MG-1's are much better, do mark up a bit, but read a tip about loctiting the pins in so did that from new and haven't lost any. Been told by friends they can see sparks off them now and again when they clip a rock, which is nice.

Northwind

"Check out Onza Hognesiums for a Wellgo made v12magalike"

That's a very expensive MG1! £45 for the "onza" vs £30 for the exact same thing branded Wellgo.

stevede
    Free Member

V12 copies are as mentioned before the original dmr v12 design, bearing life pretty good, half decent platform but slightly too small for me, perfect if you ride xc or not too heavy on them – cracked mine under dh use, still 2 years on they are limping through life on my commuter!!!
    Steve

NormalMan

Another nod to MG1's from me. I went for them for two reasons: they are light and they are available in white!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Wellgo pedals .What's in a name ?’ is closed to new replies.