• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jfeb.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Wellgo MG1's
  • crispo
    Free Member

Worth a punt?

My old spesh pedals died after a year and a half so currently running some of those hopeless free pedals you get with a bike.

Have seen the Wellgo MG1s at Merlin and theyre only £35. What are peoples thoughts on them?

Cheers for any advice.

curlie467
    Free Member

Love mine if that is any help.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve got some – they’re not as good as the Superstar ones I’ve also got. The SS ones are thinner (less pedal strikes) and grippier.

ste_t
    Free Member

Great for the money, much lighter than superstar nanotechs. Ebay highonbikes are normally the cheapest and the two times I’ve bought them have been delivered next day.

fenred
    Free Member

Recently purchased some Wellgo B54’s and very impressed with them…HUGE platform and grip is fantastic £26.99 too!!

Cougar

Timely question.

Seems that this weekend the bearing’s disintegrated on one of my DMR V8s. I’d be interested in replacement recommendations that don’t break the bank also.

fenred
    Free Member

bearing’s disintegrated on one of my DMR V8s

They’re good at that those V8’s.

alpin
    Free Member

yup.. decnt enough pedals.. not the biggest platform out there and nor are they the thinnest, but they’re grippy enough.

crispo
    Free Member

Any ideas how they might compare with something like Specialized Lo Pro Mag? Thats what I had before.

Cougar

They’re good at that those V8’s.

Seems they’re serviceable. I might have a punt of £4’s worth of ball bearings first.

Apart from owt else, I’m a tart and love the paint job of the ‘acid’ V8s, it’d be a shame to lose ’em (even if they are tri-coloured with silver now due to pedal strikes).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have the Blackspire version of these and have been pretty impressed so far. As others say, light, grippy and cheap enough.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

loved mine – super grippy.paints shit though

JohnnyPanic

I had a pair a couple of years ago. The metal is softer than ally pedals and it’s not difficult to knock chips & pegs out with pedal strike. Very light though.

bangermoose
    Free Member

I bought some about 8 months ago and just looking to replace them now as they have worn badly, bushes have been damaged so very stiff to turn(cant replace these??) looking at the inside they have 1 cartridge bearing far end and nylon bushes crank end, mine didn’t spin freely even when new.
    Having said that, they are very light and cheap and i’ve not heard many other people say that they haven’t lasted.

spw3

What Grum said.

Northwind

I find mine more grippy than my Superstar ones (I take pins out of the MG1s but not the Nanos) but the extra thickness seems to balance it out a bit. Both very good pedals, and the MG1s are much lighter per pound spent. I’ve got a couple of sets and though I’ve taken a pin or two out of them, and the cage in one is a bit of a funny shape these days, they’re still both going strong.

You can spend a lot more and get worse 😉 But I don’t think you can spend less and get better.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Loving my MAG1’s. Had them for about 3 years, with no real damage other than a couple of ripped out pins.

I heard they were light but can break when twanged into rocks but as I usually think about pedal strikes when riding they have lasted me well.

I have seen a set from China bought on Ebay cheap, by a mate, one didn’t turn very easily so I guess you can buy snide ones. Careful where you buy from then. I’d be happy to use Merlin though… Cheap enough too.

alpin
    Free Member

mine didn’t spin freely even when new.

the sign of a good pedal isn’t one that spins freely. an old pedal with knackered bushings & bearings will spin freely.

jfeb
    Free Member

I like them. I’ve bashed rocks/roots quite a lot (low BB on my bike) and ripped out a couple of pins but the pedals themselves haven’t broken. As and when they die I will probably try a thinner pedal e.g. Superstars.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Wellgo MG1's’ is closed to new replies.