Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wellgo MG1 vs HT Nano Pedals
  • Jammy111
    Free Member

Buying some flats and sure sure where to go for the MG1 or the Nano.

Quick poll to help me decide. As far as I can see the MG1 is slightly lighter but also slightly thicker. Don’t know about grip for them both. MG1 is a few quid cheaper…

jonb
    Free Member

I’ve got the MG1 and nano through pins. MG1 is slightly grippier and lighter.

Paint came off the MG1 almost instantly (about 6 months for the Nano).

I’ve heard reviews that say the MG1 is very fragile compared to standard pedals (It’s because of the alloy used that keeps it light). So if you mash pedals into rocks go for the nano. If you want a tough long lasting pedal fo for the nano but if you want light then go for the MG1.

Check the Nano sandard and through pin on superstarcomponents, they’re the same, available in more colours and were cheaper last time I looked.

alexpalacefan

Love my MG1’s, light, cheap and grippy. What more do you want.

APF

PS Jedi will be along in a min to say they’re not robust enough.

A

Ewan
    Free Member

I’ve run MG1s for about 1.5 years – very good, quite grippy but pins are a little short, very light, bearings still fine (twice a week rides mostly in mud, plus a few weeks in the alps / canada / scotland). Recently ripped out two pins in Canada, but that always happens eventually. As noted the paint comes off in places straight away, and they are quite ‘soft’, but this hasn’t been an issue in practice (and i’m always catching pedals).

Got the thru pin nanos couple of weeks ago (35 quid from read to ride cycles), thinner and grippier than the MG1s, but weigh a fair bit more. Bearings etc seem fine, but far too early to draw a conclusion.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

MG1’s do get hammered pretty quickly. Clipped a rock on my first ride out and lost a pin.

They do grip nicely though and are a reasonable size platform for bigger plates of meat.

Not ridden nanos so can’t comment.

goog
    Free Member

Nano’s – 6 months on the 951 and still look like new, oh yeah they’re reet grippy too 8)

Jammy111
    Free Member

looks like its the nanos then. cheers guys!

jedi

lol@apf 🙂

Northwind

jonb – Member
    “I’ve heard reviews that say the MG1 is very fragile compared to standard pedals”

So have I but it’s over-exagerrated. Yes they’re softer and more likely to suffer than a solidly made alu pedal but I’ve got 2 sets (one with ti axles) and I’ve beaten them off every rock in scotland due to my awesome pedalling skillz and they’re all still in good shape- the steel pins have ground down quite a lot on the pair on the hemlock but the cages are intact, they just look shagged. And yes, all the paint’s dropped off.

But I’ve switched the big bike to Nanos now, sure they’re heavier and not as good value but I think that’s balanced out by the big, thin platform- it sounds like marketing talk when people bang on about thinness and getting your feet closer to the axle but it does seem to work. So when money allows I’ll be replacing the other set on the little bike with a set of mag nanos. They’ll cost something like twice as much as a set of ti-axled mg1s but I reckon it’ll be worth it.

julians
    Free Member

Been using MG1’s for a couple of years now with no problems, they get bashed off rocks fairly regularly, but no cracking on mine. Paint has worn off though.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Sounds like you’ve made your mind up already, but just to reassure you:

I run both and the nano’s shit all over the mg1’s. The main beef I have is that the platform on the mg1 is a bit small. This combined with the thicker body makes them feel much less stable.

The mg1’s could weigh minus 1 lb and I’d still choose nanos in future.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My MG-1s, very light and grippy, love them, but pins are getting bashed out fairly easily and no option to replace the pins once threads are destroyed. I tend to swap between clipless and flats depending on what I’m doing and/or where I’m going, so they’re lasting long enough for me. Can’t imagine they’d last more than a season or two if they were your only pedal choice. I got the ones that aren’t painted, so they still nearly look the same as when new.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wellgo MG1 vs HT Nano Pedals’ is closed to new replies.