Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Wellgo MG1 Platforms, Good buy?
  • chrisjnr
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at getting a decent, light set of pedals for a while now, and I have stumbled across these. They’re 380g and are £31, sounds good but, I’d like to know whether anyone had some expericence with them?
    Cheers 😀

alexpalacefan

I love ’em, have ’em on all my bikes. As you say, light and cheap. They’re also good and grippy.

Jedi will be along in a minute to say that they break too easily… But mine seem OK after 18 months or so

APF

chrisjnr
    Free Member

Have you had any issues, with paint rubbing off at a rather alarming rate?
    This, I am eager to avoid as it happened to my DMR V8’s 🙁

Northwind

Yep, the paint falls off if you look at it too hard (Wellgo made your V8s as well). But pedals will always end up mangled-looking, even anodised ones scratch up.

They’ve great value… Quite fat, but good grip, and decently tough- stronger than the magnesium version of the Nanos that are all the rage these days.

chrisjnr
    Free Member

Well, I don’t want to be put off what appears to be a great set of pedals by escaping paint 🙂
    I wish they did them in red though 🙁
    and cheers btw 😀

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve had Wellgo Mg-1’s for a few years and they’re excellent for grip and very light. I have the plain grey ones, they have no finish/paint, so they look pretty much the same as new. The only downside is the soft magnesium body, the pins occasionally get bashed out and cannot be replaced.

Northwind

You can always replace pins as long as the cage exists, just drill and glue…

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Had a pair for 18 months now. After several rock strikes I’ve only managed to loose one pin so for 30 odd quid I would recommend them.

chrisjnr
    Free Member

I think I shall plump for them then, for £30 they seem to be a pretty good deal, also I wouldn’t be losing much.
    Cheers for the help 😀

jedi

apf, lol 🙂

ashfanman
    Free Member

I’ve been running mine for two years and they’ve been faultless. They look absolutely battered, but they’re pedals and so that’s always going to happen. The axles still run smooth – haven’t had to service them once – and I’ve also still got all the pins despite some pretty hefty rock strikes.

My only complaint is that the platform size is a bit small, but then again I have size 12 feet so this may not be an issue for you. They’re also a fair bit thicker than the current trend for ultra-slim pedals, but I’ve never found that to be a problem.

As you say, for £30 you won’t find anything anywhere near as light or well put together.

p7rich
    Free Member

£30 looks like a good price and i’d echo the ‘good grip’ praise but…i’ve run some for a couple of hundred miles and one has just developed play in the axle and creaks in the wet. Haven’t had it off to investigate yet.

thepurist

p7rich – try taking off the cap on the outside of the axle, stuff it with grease, screw cap on then repeat until grease gets squeezed out from the crank end of the axle. Seems to sort any creaking & play out for a bit – IIRC you need a tall & thin walled socket to dismantle the axle fully.

balfa
    Free Member

Cheap and cheerful. Maybe a little less grippy van v8s/v12s. I’m on my second pair now. First pair lost a few pins and then stripped the axel in the middle of nowhere leaving me to pedal using the axel alone. Second pair have lasted much better. I took out each pin and plastered them with threadlock second time round which seems to have done the trick and have lost no pins since.

flyingmonkeycorps

I had a pair very briefly and found the platform just a smidge narrow for my (quite wide) feet. They seemed nice though.

thepurist

Maybe a little less grippy van v8s/v12s.

In the great tradition of consensus on web forums, I found completely the opposite – went back to v8s after riding mg1s and thought the v8s felt less grippy so now have mg1s on both MTBs.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Jedi will be along in a minute to say that they break too easily

they are soft and the pins can pull out i have lost about 2 in 2 years – but don’t ride anywhere too rocky…

yunki
    Free Member

great pedals.. light.. cheap and grippy..

I routinely ride serious rocky conditions and I’m not the daintiest of riders.. they handle it pretty well.. quite robustly really..

ianpv
    Free Member

Light, quite narrow, a bit weak – I also stripped the axle and lost the pedal body mid ride.

wl
    Free Member

If you ride tight & rocky trails, they won’t last two minutes. The platforms are soft as sh*t and they shed pins like there’s no tomorrow. The threads rip out with the pins too, so you can’t just replace the pins. Nice bearings and lightweight though – probably great if you only ride forests and trail centres.

frogger
    Free Member

Great pedals! Been using them on my downhill and freeride bikes since they came out 3-4 years ago. Never ever had any problems apart from the paint that rubs off quite easily but really don’t care about that.

3 years ago in Verbier I hit a hidden rock behind a bit of grass full on with the right pedal at around 35mph. The impact was phenomenal. It bucked me up into the air about 10 feet, chucked me down a steep ravine and through some incredible luck I ended up on the only bit of soft sand for a mile radius so didn’t get hurt.

The pedal body completely exploded from the impact and there was nothing left but the shaft in the Saint crank arm and some small bits of magnesium. Just enough to put my foot on and get down the mountain. If the pedal didn’t explode I am sure the force would have been a lot worse.

I still run them on 2 of my bikes and love them. I use DMR Vaults on another bike but they are £90 and no better. You won’t find better pedals for the money.

grum
    Free Member

I got some for my GFs bike and I much prefer the SS Nanos.

chrisjnr
    Free Member

Yeah, I was going to go for Nano’s initially but I stumbled across these when I was looking around for light pedals, and found they were around 150g’s lighter than the alloy SS Nanos.
    I appreciate the help chaps 😀

yunki
    Free Member

If you ride tight & rocky trails, they won’t last two minutes

probably great if you only ride forests and trail centres

LOL.. they really aren’t that bad at all considering the undeserved reputation..
    I wonder if some folk are using their pedals as stabilisers when they ride rocky trails..

MrTall
    Free Member

I have some Orange ones and they’ve been good although as always the paint does come off fairly easily.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wellgo-MG1-MG-1-Magnesium-Pedal-CR-MO-9-16-Axle-Red-/150369160283?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item2302b34c5b

If you’re happy to buy from abroad they do them in Red and for £29 as well.

rudedog
    Free Member

Had a pair for 2 years now – had lots of heavy pedal strikes with them so they look pretty messy but only lost 1 pin so far. Think i only paid 25 quid for them so no complaints at all.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Wellgo MG1 Platforms, Good buy?’ is closed to new replies.