Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Well, what a lovely commute
  • IHN

Twenty miles of:
    – using the nice bike, with it being bone dry
    – sunrise over misty Cotswold water meadows
    – clearing out the remainder of my cold with some satisfyingly large snot rockets

Lovely. How was yours?

teamslug
    Free Member

like a dogs nose…cold, black and wet…but it was 5:00am..bloody spooky in the woods with the fog

scaled
    Free Member

I made it out the gate before realising my front tyre was flat.

Sacked it off and i’m working from home.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh this morning was amazing, beautiful morning, summer commuter, past the 900 mile mark for the month. And last day of riding before knee surgery tomorrow.

jimdubleyou

WFH day – so about two minutes from the bedroom to the spare room…

Yesterday was good though – mist hanging about 18 inches over Barnes Common, very eerie…

fasthaggis

Lovely. How was yours?

Beautiful,thanks.

Sun cutting through the river mist,everything heavy with dew.
    Cold enough that it feels ‘just right’ once I get up to speed.
    Overhead,a line of geese ,calling as they head inland.
    The trees just starting to turn.
    #ILoveMyCommute

🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup, 6mins in on the foldie past the Docks, swans, ducks, light breeze and litter.

Who wins?

whitestone
    Free Member

Really foggy in the Aire Valley. Not helped by a good third of drivers not having their lights switched on 😈

Only just warming up half an hour after getting in.

sirromj

As nice as four sunny miles along the country lanes of Thanet can be.

richmtb

Yep, beautiful morning up in Glasgow. Its a short ride for me to work though only 6 miles

Might have to take a detour on the way home

gummikuh

Misty and a slight breeze behind me, so I flew along, woman in a black SAAB forced me into the gutter, took me nearly ten minutes to catch up with her, then I gave her the fright of her life when I banged on her window!
    So yeah, usual really, but this dampness plays havoc with my moustache, starts as Clarke gable, ends up el gringo!

DezB
    Free Member

Superb. I bloomin love my Tripster. And first song on the iPod was
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c8Wj4qdaQ0[/video]

Which made me 😀

lunge

Lovely. How was yours?

Lovely too actually, in fact I was going to put a very similar post up myself.

Took the fast bike as it was dry and I fear it may be it’s last commute of the year. This is a good start as there is something quite indulgent about commuting on carbon wheels with open tubular’s and Di2. Then you factor in that it was a beautifully clear and crisp morning, add in a stunning sunrise and combine with doing the full 15 miles without putting my foot down. Finish with me arriving in the new and rather impressive New Street station and managing to get the slightly earlier connection as I put in a good time.

Yep, today was a good ride in.

rocketman
    Free Member

Had to have the heater on full to begin with but I turned it down later on

muzzle
    Free Member

Nice chilly misty morning – great for not overheating. Although I did have to start by carrying my bike through the house this morning – can’t get it round the side as the concrete is drying for my new bike storage side extension 😀

tthew

Happened to join the bike path at the same time as a fast bloke on one of those blue Aluminium Ribbles. Through and off all the way to Deeside Industrial Park when he turned off and I carried on to Connah’s Quay.

Definitely improved my average speed. Hoping he was using Strava, as I think this is just the situation fly-bys were invented for.

mark88

Very pleasant, this Autumn sun is a welcome change from the miserable wet days the other week.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I cricked my back putting my coat on and had to get the train instead. It would have been foggy and cold though.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Might have to take a detour on the way home

I did that last night, only a few extra miles but it’s nice to have a different route home. I’ve been riding the same way there and back for years as it’s the safest route but I’ve been tweaking things lately – must be a mid life crisis.

I love riding my bike and couldn’t be happier with this months riding.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Very nice morning, unusually long traffic queue as well so extra satisfaction filtering past absolutely everyone who overtook me along my entire journey!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Missing the swallows already…

alexh
    Free Member

I was under dressed, bit nippy but a satisfying ride in the countryside capped off by filtering through some long queues as I approached the city. Kom and some good pace to boot too.

longmover
    Free Member

Nice ride in today, left in the dark, saw sunrise over the hills of Cornwall and it wasn’t too cold.

ferrals
    Free Member

yep nice gentle spin in in the sunshine, bit breezy but not cold and it will be a tailwind on the way home. going to detour on the way back for a longer ride, undecided on just stopping in one of the parks on the way back to do some cx training or taking advantage of the weather to just have an explore. first world problems!

relliott6879
    Free Member

Gary MMember

…past the 900 mile mark for the month

😯 Wow!

richmars

Not as chilly as yesterday, a bit less fog. Spent a few minute watching the family of swans I see most days get some breakfast in the reeds. Four (not so small) young, plus mum and dad. A few photos of the sun coming up over the river.
    On for cycling everyday this month, so a few miles but maybe not 900.

Edit, maybe 900km!

Mister-P
    Free Member

A lovely morning for a 31.7 mile spin at 18.1mph average. The sun was just coming up as I left the house and I was treated to some beautiful skies. Then when I hit Milton Keynes traffic was stationary and I hopped on the redways and continued on my way quite merrily. It’s put me in a good mood for the day. I might dig my overshoes out tomorrow though.

40mpg

I cycled to work for the first time today. Fed up of sitting in the car for an hour to do 18 miles on the motorway, and its only 15 miles straight across town.

Straight Across Town – yup. I’m so glad the sun was shining as otherwise I think I may have died of despair. The first bit is cycle paths alongside dual carriage way – great, you would think, except for the cavernous potholes (and the bit they have resurfaced is covered in loose gravel kicked off the dual carriageway), blind corners, 90 degree zig zags around poorly placed street furniture, parked cars, lorries – you get the gist.

Then the off-road cycle route just kind of petered out. I got stuck down by the station, had to duck back under a building and round and up the way I had come. Then a new junction which had been in the press for its ‘Dutch inspired’ cycle design. Nothing like I’ve seen in Holland, totally confusing and terrifying!

After that I had to mix it with the traffic on A roads back out of town. These were mostly stationary, but I hate filtering either inside or outside (lots of side roads, so cars letting other cars across, need to be very wary). Finally dicing with death across a huge roundabout next to the motorway (there’s an underpass somewhere, buggered if I could find it, no signs and it appears to be at the back of an industrial estate).

Needed 2 breakfasts when I got to work.

Just the return to look forward to now, in my damp lycra – eeugh. Not sure hanging soggy bib shorts up in the office would go down too well!

I really don’t know how people do this every day, I was a nervous wreck after!

davosaurusrex

Got a 35 miler planned for tomorrow down Sussex lanes, more than likely the last time I’ll do it this year. Was beautiful in the car this morning on the bigger roads with mist rolling over the hedgerows illuminated by the early morning sun, should be spectacular on the bike tomorrow, looking forward to it.

IHN

40mpg – Swindon?

v666ern
    Free Member

Lovely. How was yours?

better than yesterday – left home to glorious sunshine, got to cricklade and deep fog…then I was in Swindon 🙁

Gary_M
    Free Member

Edit, maybe 900km!

No, 913.20 miles so far plus another 21 on the way home. But that’s it for the month as no riding tomorrow.

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

So nice to be able to commute by bike again.

Even though it wasn’t the coastal commute from Worthing to Hove that I had a few year back with the views that had I have found some rather nice wooded off road bits with gravel, roots and a few small bombholes to keep it interesting.

A nice 15-20 minute spin each way to start and end the day in the centre of creepy Crawley!

IHN

got to cricklade and deep fog

Unlucky, it was just atmospheric mistiness when I was passing there (well, just to the west of there)

…then I was in Swindon

Well, yeah 😕

relliott6879
    Free Member

[b]richmars[/b] – Member

…Edit, maybe 900km!

Gary MMember

No, 913.20 miles so far plus another 21 on the way home. But that’s it for the month as no riding tomorrow.[/quote]

😯 I say again, wow! Massive respect for you Gary, I did a 17 mile ride yesterday in just over an hour and felt very pleased with myself for having done it; I can’t even comprehend riding 900 miles in a single month, I’d be amazed if I did that in a year!

40mpg

40mpg – Swindon?

Could have been, but wasn’t – Southampton unfortunately

Gary_M
    Free Member

My commutes 20ish miles each way, I do it most days so the miles soon mount up plus I get out at the weekend too. This month has been exceptional though and I’ve loved every mile of it.

I’m going to really miss it over the next few weeks.

MoreCashThanDash

First commute in the new Octavia. Very nice indeed.

But not as nice as yesterday’s early mist/warm afternoon sun combo on the bike. Love spring and autumn commuting, feeling the seasons change with the light. Makes you feel alive before work sucks your soul out through your arse and force feeds it back through your nostrils.

(No, I didn’t get that other job, but thanks for asking)

v666ern
    Free Member

😆

stumpy01

Gary_M – Member

Edit, maybe 900km!

No, 913.20 miles so far plus another 21 on the way home. But that’s it for the month as no riding tomorrow.

I think he (richmars) was referring to how far he has commuted when he wrote that, rather than trying to besmirch your tally so far this month by converting it to km.

Original comment was:

On for cycling everyday this month, so a few miles but maybe not 900.

Followed by:

Edit, maybe 900km!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Well, what a lovely commute’ is closed to new replies.