Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Well well well, I take it all back
  • thered

The STW aficianados amongst will know that I’ve been trying to flog a dead horse (Commencal Skin Ti 29er) for the last 8 months or something mental to no avail. The previous much loved frame that I was the first and only owner of, cracked along the seatstay in April 2012 so I got in touch with the LBS, who were outstanding btw, about warranty replacement. They got in touch with Commencal who first offered to replace just the cracked tube which involved sending the frame back to Taiwan at my expense, I wasn’t happy with this as you can imagine.

I then found a post about a dude who had bought the same frame second hand (voiding the warranty), had a similar problem and had sent it back and been given the option of a new Ti frame that he’d have to wait 3 months for or a brand new Carbon frame that he could have straight away, I thought this was a bit odd and quite annoying so I got in touch with Commencal.

They initially took ages to respond so I phoned them and they repeated their offer of tube replacement at my expense, I asked why I was getting a poorer offer than other fella and after some too-ing and fro-ing they asked me to post them the frame and they would inspect it to assess my usage.

Again they took ages to confirm receipt so I phoned, they told me that they’d only be willing to replace the tube but that they’d post it to Taiwan, I had a moan citing other fella’s far better offer despite not being the original owner and they eventually capitulated and offered me the same options, pretty crap so far and it was now June.

I opted for the Ti frame and said I wait, they told me it’d be 2-3 months. 2 months passed, nothing. 3 Months passed, a 29er had been shipped from factory by mistake, they’d get another sent, it’d be two weeks. Still nothing. Someone was going to Taiwan in October, they’d bring my frame back with them, November came, still nothing but then at last in December, the frame arrived!!!!

And it was a 29er!!! Screw it I thought, I’ve replaced the frame now anyway, surely somebody out there will want a brand new Ti 29er frame. 8 months on and nobody wanted it but guess what, for once Commencal have come through. They’ve agreed to have it back and replace it with a 26” frame which is winging it’s way to me now. They’re not too bad after all then. I’ve just got to decide what to do with it now.

wwaswas

They’re not too bad after all then.

So the original problem occurred 18 months ago and you’ve just achieved the result that you wanted and were entitled to?

I think you’re very charitable 🙂

kimbers

18 months to get a replacement frame under warranty?

they sound a bit pants to me

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

18 months is appalling. However, I don’t really understand. You accepted the 29’er couldn’t sell it and they swapped it for you?

thered

In fairness, I did spend 8 months not bothering to sort it while I tried flogging the 29er so I suppose it’s only 10 months. And they haven’t asked any questions about why it’s taken 8 months for me to go back to them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I reckon I would have lost patience and demanded a refund, 18 months and when it cracks again…

Your chances of selling on a frame with no warranty may just have taken a hit, saying that the warranty sounds faily bad anyway

z1ppy

well I’m so throughly convinced by this validation of Commencal’s warranty process, I’ll never be buying one! 😈

winch
    Free Member

I’d have taken the old frame to Eurobike and hung about the Commencal stand telling my woes to anyone who’d listen. Doubt it’d take too long before you reached a more favourable agreement.

binners

The classifieds section just isn’t going to be the same any more…. 🙁

scaredypants

winging it’s way to me now

*pops virtual popcorn in the imaginary microwave*

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Im doing battle atm they dont seem to be able to make a frame I cant crack – usually at the 13 month period. Cracked linkage and rear triangle this time – thatll be a £170 mates rates..cheers.

chakaping
    Free Member

You have put me off buying Commencal tbh.

😉

amplebrew

Bit of a difference to my experience with Rocky Mountain who not only replaced a broken frame within 2 weeks, but also gave me a much more expensive frame.

One of my friends also had a great experience with Specialized who replaced his broken frame and had him back on the road in less than 2 weeks.

Commencal sounds like a bit of a nightmare.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Well well well, I take it all back’ is closed to new replies.