Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Well this is fun…. Scombroid Poisoning!
  • theboyneeds
    Free Member

Just been out for a holiday meal with the family and tucked into some mackerel. Immediately got a tingling and itching in my mouth. But I’m not allergic to fish… Carried on tucking in and finished my plate like a good boy.

Ten minutes later my face is glowing red, my head is pounding, my asthma has kicked off and my wife is racing the car back to the holiday flat down tiny Pembrokeshire country roads with me clutching my cramping stomach and hoping I know where my inhaler is.

Done a bit of googling whilst sitting on the toilet and i reckon this is what I’ve got:

Scombroid Poisoning

My eyes are totally bloodshot too. The kids think I’m dying! Hopefully not, I’m meant to be surfing at 10am…

Anyway, if this is my last STW post, it’s been fun. And don’t let my wife sell my bikes for what I told her they cost.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Did the fish smell funny?

To be honest, I would have probably stopped when the food made my mouth itch.

crikey
    Free Member

Go to a doctor or an A&E.

If you don’t feel that sick, at least go to big supermarket and get some chlorphenamine/Piriton/over the counter antihistamine.

Can be a serious business…

scaredypants

scaredyfact:

’til they started feeding really fresh fish, captive dolphins would occasionally get peptic ulcers from the histamine in their diet

(you sure it was mackerel and not puffer ?)

ste_t
    Free Member

Hospital.

TripAdvisor.

That order.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Cheers Crikey, I’ve taken a couple of ceterezine. Still feel pretty rubbish but not getting any worse. Stopped wheezing too.

Bongohoohaa – smelt fine but the flesh seemed a litle soft. I thought it was because they’d roasted it instead of fried or grilled.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Well this is fun…. Scombroid Poisoning!’ is closed to new replies.