Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • Well, that's the neighbours upset with us!
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

We have a monstrosity of a front garden, all paving slabs, stones and crappy bushes. We’ve been here for 11 years and hate it. It also covers both ours and next doors’ front gardens. By all accounts next door we instrumental in getting it put in in conjunction with the previous owners.

Mrs Feet mentioned to next door that we were going to be taking it all out on our side and turfing it to have a nice ‘normal’ front lawn. This was back in October.

Well, the opportunity of doing the aforementioned conversion arose with the long bank holiday and me not having to work, so we informed them yesterday that it was ‘game on’.

Oh dear, she who resides next door is most definitely not amused!!

Well, she’ll just have to lump it ‘cos it’s our front garden, not hers, even though she seems to think she has absolute authority over how it looks.

Funny thing is, all the other neighbours keep coming up to us and telling us how much better it will look! I expect North Korea style rhetoric will be forthcoming from next door soon! I’m finding it all quite amusing, much to Mr’s Feet annoyance 😀

soundninjauk

Maybe you should take a picture of you mowing your nice new lawn, then photoshop two extra mowers in there.

allthepies
    Free Member

Pics!

dazz
    Free Member

who cares what the neighbours think? It’s your garden, I wouldn’t have even mentioned it to them because it’s such a non issue

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

unklehomered
    Free Member

But in all seriousness the time for discussion was a while ago when you mentioned it, it’s your garden, have at it.

popstar
    Free Member

Bet she wouldn’t like all noise on long bank holiday weekend. Guess you need to shout out hot words while you struggle at it.

unklehomered
    Free Member

You could offer her all the nasty paving slabs etc? If she likes them so much…

Junkyard
    Free Member

their problem and clearly nothing to do with them what you do

How about a nice picture of a cactus instead of a lawn …everyone like them

bencooper
    Free Member

How about just trimming the bushes outside her window?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Before by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr

During by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr

The funny raised square thing in the middle will stay for the moment until next door decide what they are going to do with their side. I believe they will be watching many episodes of ‘Terry & June’ for reference before making a decision.

She next door have now announced that a) your (as in the Feet household) side will look silly and b) she wants a divide put between the two sides. Building a new Berlin wall wasn’t on my original plan, but if it shuts her up…..

piemonster

Chortle, reminds me of our neighbour.

We dont do much with ours, just about keep the weeds at bay. Much to the Grumps annoyance. I think it doesn’t help that our rear garden is a good 6-7 times the size of theirs.

piemonster

Good lord that’s hideous.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Oh its that sort of thing. I’m surprised you lived with it for that long to be honest.

You want one of these

Though if she want’s it, then it’s up to her to build it surely.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

bencooper, what a fantastic idea!

Yes, it is truly hideous, still largely gone now

Back to the digging, will post progress later

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ah I see the issue really that is one garden so you changing your half ruins it really [meaning they have to change theirs as well so there are implications for them. That said it is still tough luck

thegreatape
    Free Member

Garden could do with a tidy…..

dannyh
    Free Member

This is one of those classic things that distinguishes men from women. When some of previous neighbours got a bit ‘funny’ about something (I can’t remember what), my wife seemed really bothered. I asked her “do you think the neighbours are idiots?”. When she said “yes”, my reply (and my general attitude to stuff like this) was “well if you think they’re idiots, then why do you give a toss what they think?”

Mind you, my wife is a nicer person than me, so maybe she takes this stuff to heart more.

When I was growing up, we had a right pair of miserable sods as neighbours. Sixteen years of non-returned tennis balls, football’s, rugby balls etc. No wonder I laughed my arse off on the one occasion I actually broke their greenhouse with a classic acrobatic volley.

Since I left home, my old man has put up what he calls the Berlin Wall. A floor to ceiling height fence to stop the nosey old bat necking over the fence.

Nowt as queer as folk.

dannyh
    Free Member

Oh, and if you really want to wind her up, be as nice as pie. A bit gushing, but not completely OTT. This will ensure much futile fuming and ranting in her house.

Things like this have always brought out the provocateur in me!

dazz
    Free Member

If they want a fence tell them to put one up, if that hideous raised thing in the middle is half in your garden I’d be tempted to cut it down the middle 🙂 but then I’m not one for diplomacy if someone gets on my nerves

drlex
    Free Member

Judging from others in the estate, you need the space to park a caravan.

Seriously, well done for disposing of a tired-looking front garden. Get turfing!

easygirl

Why don’t you go round with a bottle of wine or bunch of flowers, have a chat with her and come to some agreement regarding fence etc
    Don’t fall out with your neighbours, life’s too short and all that

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Why don’t you go round with a bottle of wine or bunch of flowers, have a chat with her and come to some agreement regarding fence etc

You mean come down off the Higher Moral Ground and compromise? Engage in dialogue? Be reasonable? Show tolerance?

Are you new here? 😉

dannyh
    Free Member

Nooooooooo!

Start a decade-long cold war. Much more fulfilling.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Are you new here?

He’s a witch burn him!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Nah, they’ll be no bottles of wine or anything else. The guy next door is as nice as they come. She’s fine, just as long as she gets her way.

In the back garden, when we had the old falling down fence replaced she told us it should be a low fence otherwise they wouldn’t be able to see over it and it would spoil their garden. Excuse me??!!!!! A 5 foot fence with 1 foot gravel board was swiftly installed

She also had the hump with neighbours the other side who had to cut down a tree after roots were getting into the foundations. She had the right a-hole over that and still goes on about it even though it was years ago

Anyway, they are properly religious, so should forgive us our ‘sins’ anyway

thegreatape
    Free Member

Especially their neighbours.

Northwind

Build a pump track. Then either a) take it down, and they’ll be relieved to have a lawn, or b) don’t, and have a pump track, **** the lawn.

maxtorque

9 foot Northshore FTW 😉

jimmy

Have a(n STW) Lawn Party once complete with plenty of standing in a line and pointing in disgust next door.

grievoustim
    Free Member

If it was mine I would leave it.

How much time does anyone spend on their front garden? You’re having to do a load of work now – and all you are gaining is a load of extra lawn (that you won’t use) to mow

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’d have block plaved the bally lot – parking is better than mowing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

World needs more green

Blockpaving looks awful.

A lawn that size will take about 20 minutes to run round. Or maybe 40 minutes doing all the assorted guf like edging and the like.

Do it once a week and it wont take long.

Do it once a month and its. A pain in the tits.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Oh and lets face it . What he has now is better than what he had

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Have a(n STW) Lawn Party once complete with plenty of standing in a line and pointing in disgust next door.

YES!

A STW Sexy Party!

easygirl

Ok, just a suggestion
    Waste your time winding another human being up over a piece of grass, I’m sure bad karma will repay you in time
    But then again you will probably blame that on the neighbour. 😕
    I’m half joking, but it astounds me how neighbour disputes go on for years, we have always got on with our neighbours even the more difficult ones, life’s too short to be petty, in my book it is anyway

unknown
    Free Member

I really enjoy being petty. And vindictive.

dabble
    Free Member

I agree, I always give my neighbours a cheery “hello” and a smile when I see them, you never know when you might need a helping hand.
    Except the ones that let their dogs turd on the common grass area, they can go swivel.

spooky_b329

It doesn’t sound like anyone is winding the neighbour up…she’s doing it herself!

If a neighbour is like that, then you can either worry about it, or make light of it whilst still being polite when you see them!

Kevevs
    Free Member

Why don’t you offer to turf both sides if she pays for it and you’ll do the labour? Then you can chalk up a dividing white line and a mini footy field for a kickabout or proper team rivalry to solve disputes. First to 3 wins. Could you also squeeze in a little terrace?, so the other neighbours could back up their favourite team and shout drunken abuse and chants. The street could save all their pent up anger and bickering till say, saturdays at 3pm! Cos it’s a small pitch, just have smaller goals and use a tennis ball and 2 players aside.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Well, that's the neighbours upset with us!’ is closed to new replies.