Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Well that's a first for me….
  • rosscopeco
    Free Member

Managed to squeeze in wee blast round the local loop last night on the commute home. Didn’t think it was too cold at -2. Thought for a scary moment that my trusty Rohloff was finally giving up the ghost @ 15k (for you cynics out there) as things started to get a bit ‘crunchy’ as I pedalled. Turns out my chain was beginning to freeze….guess I should have lubed it with some ‘wet lube’ as opposed to the usual ‘dry lube’

Karinofnine

My Alfine froze on the way to work on two occasions in November – in high gear too! I had to stand up going up the hills, I was not impressed.

nickingsley
    Free Member

Had same problem with my Alfine 8 on way to work but problem turned out to be cable had frozen in sheath close to the hub. I had obviously enjoyed myself too much breaking through ice covered puddles on the bike and the splashed water just froze. Borrowed some WD40 and fine on the way home.

Colleague at work overhauled my Alfine 8 (after Shimano had condemned it) and popped a spoonful of gear oil in as this, apparently, helps. Even so on Alfines often lose gears in Delamere in the snow, but that’s why they invented ss 😀

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Well that's a first for me….’ is closed to new replies.