Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Well that didn't turn out as expected.
  • wwaswas

I can just see the ‘good samaritan’ driver sat there feeling quite pleased with themselves for doing a good deed when a fire officer walks up with some hydraulic cutters and says ‘Errrm, I’m not quite sure how to tell you this…’. It’ll be an interesting insurance claim.

An elderly couple whose car was involved in the accident sought refuge inside a passing Good Samaritan’s car.

But when emergency services arrived a short while later, they had to be cut free from the unaffected vehicle because of paramedics’ concerns about the pair’s severe back pain.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10144045.Overturned_skip_on_A27_causes_nine_hours_of_chaos/

So would you let someone sit in your car if you thought this might happen?

geoffj

Not unusual apparently.

IHN

Well, if you thought it might happen (i.e. you thought that the emergency services would think that the couple had potential back injuries), you ‘d probably advise them to keep still in the first place.

But, yeah, I’d let them sit in my car.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Not sure what would be more annoying, having my car cut open or having to read news stories in three line paragraphs.

Jamie
    Free Member

I always thought these types of stories were urban myths.

The more you know…

DezB
    Free Member

Doesn’t say they cut the car up. Maybe they cut the elderly couple’s legs off.
    Maybe.

simmy
    Free Member

I’ve heard of this before.

Think it was one of them fly on the wall cheap to make TV shows where they stick a Cameraman in the back of a Police car and flims for a week.

Sure it was a simple rear end shunt and a lady stopped and sat a teenage girl in her brand new Impreza. Paramedics came along and said they had to cut the roof off the Impreza 😯

What would you tell your insurance ? Remember the lady being a bit upset to say the least……

hora
    Free Member

GET OUT OF MY CAR NOW

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d be wanting a second medical opinion.

And I’d drive them to the hospital to get one if I had to.

budgierider67

It does occasionally happen, although less so now as paramedics have the training now to clear c-spine injury on scene.
    It used to be more a case of assuming that everybody had c-spine injuries & treat as such.
    It is very satisfying doing a roof removal on a police car though!

No, I personally wouldn’t let them sit in my car. I’d get them to lie down on the floor & keep them warm. If they are assessed as having c-spine injuries then this is the ideal position to get a scoop stretcher/long board in.

Drac

No comment.

Jamie
    Free Member

No comment.

Not surprising. I imagine you’re rushed off your feet decapitating poor innocent’s cars.

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve had to cut the roof from a good Samaritans car as the paramedics didn’t want the casualty moving more than necessary after examining him and looking at the cars that were involved in the crash

I will add tho we are now doing much less cutting and more rapid removals in the fetal positio

Also had a fair few seemingly injured jump out of car right as rain as soon as we mention roof removal

Junkyard
    Free Member

what happens re the insurance claim on this – who do you claim from?

In all honesty Yes i would but they may be sitting in the boot now i know this

bikebouy
    Free Member

Closed the A27 for Months* did this..

Getting a bit peeed off with all this “were closing the roads” carp after an accident. Get a tractor, pick cars up off carriageway, dump in field, let normal folks through.. all sorted within 15mins.

Having said that I saw two Blond Birds arguing the toss yesterday lunchime after one of them had re ended the other at a junction.. Both in blinged Mini’s, both bleached blond hair, both on mobile phones it seems, and neither cleaned up the mess afterthemselves.. 🙄

wwaswas

bit of plastic padding and it’ll be fine;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-20944339

ell_tell
    Free Member

I’m sure that’ll buff out.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Best thing for a Vauxhall Vectra.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Aye, it was a kindness.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I will add tho we are now doing much less cutting and more rapid removals in the fetal position

Presumably that’s down to the paramedics now being able to make the call on the scene?

Did my RTC training back in October and they still seemed to be focussed on making the cut if in any doubt. They covered rapid removals only in the context of someone going big sick.

maxtorque

I’d just drive off, with said “injured” person in passenger seat, and chuck em out about at the nearest hospital…….. 😉

nicko74

I’m sure that’ll buff out.

Or you could tape a new roof of spoons onto it.

Does sound mental – it’s healthnsafety gone maaaaaad, I tell ye

Edukator
    Free Member

We all know that the only reason the old couple developed neck pain was because they realised they’d be in for a huge insurance pay out if they feigned a whiplash injury. It doen’t make you feel like helping anyone does it.

properbikeco
    Free Member

this is not a myth, any paramedic will tell you not to let folk sit back down in a car after a collision.

takisawa2

This is why ejector seats should be standard fitment.

thegreatape
    Free Member

A couple of years ago in the middle of the night I attended an RTC on a very exposed pass in the Highlands. A Spanish lorry had gone off the side of the road and shed its cargo of live crab and lobster. The driver was ok and was walking around fine for a few hours while we got the lorry recovered. Towards the end he started complaining of back pain. Problem was, the road was too icy and snowy for the ambulance to get up there, so I arranged to meet them in the nearest village with El Driver. Mindful of the police cars that have lost their roofs this way, I was determined to pull up and get him out before the paramedics had a chance to speak to him. So determined that I overlooked the fact that whilst the roads through the village had been gritted, the bus stop the ambulance was parked in hadn’t been. I like to think that my passenger just thought I was getting him as close to the back of the ambulance as possible, but I reckon the futile grind of the ABS and the whispered ‘oh shit’ gave it away. Lobster was nice though.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I have a new astra, now I know why folk chase ambulances I’m gonna get me a police scanner!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Well that didn't turn out as expected.’ is closed to new replies.