• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by cp.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • well sealed budget headset ?
  • br1zz
    Free Member

2 wet rides on my new bike and the headset was siezed when I went to ride it the other day. Turns out the caged bearings in the top race had rusted (mainly the cage itself) to the point where the race itself has become damaged.
    I've rebuilt it with loose ball bearings for now, but it will only be a matter of time before it causes problems. I am more concerned that the sealing is so ineffective if all the grease has been flushed out after such a short time.
    Now I'm looking for reasonably priced alternatives, priority being decent seals. CRC have the FSA xtreme at a really good price, but I've never had a cartridge type before and I think i'd prefer to be able to rebuild the thing every now and then. Anyone have any experience of these – performance / cost of replacement cartridges ?
    Any recommended non-cartridge types ?
    Bike is used for XC stuff mainly, no jumping or serious downhill.

coatesy
    Free Member

The FSAs are pretty good, plaster it with grease on assembly as an extra barrier and it should last a fair time.
    If you're insistant on open bearings, and have a grease gun, you won't go far wrong with an old WTB Greaseguard, mine must have lasted about 8yrs. I believe we still have a couple in Sunset 02920371321.

kimbers

fsas are very good ime

stumpy01

My Cane Creek S-3 (I think it's an S-3) is still really smooth & last time I took it apart it had a full complement of grease inside it that looked pretty fresh. Can't remember when I had it put on, but must be getting on for 2yrs old now.
    Cartridge bearings seem to be holding up well.

clubber
    Free Member

Br1zz as in Bristol? My various FSA Orbit XL2s have been bombproof though years of Brizzol mud

cp

Mranger156 speaks all you need to know.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘well sealed budget headset ?’ is closed to new replies.